GliderCENTRAL

Bonding Potion?...

Posted By: Anonymous

Bonding Potion?... - 11/03/10 03:50 AM

I was wondering if anyone had tried the bonding potion from sugar-gliders.com ? Just wondering if it works? Also any advice on helping me get Pikeira to respond to her name? (Pi)

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/03/10 03:54 AM

Gliders don't actually respond to their name but rather how you talk to them, but this is based solely on your bond with one another.

I've talked to two people who have used the bonding potion. One swears by it and the other (and there was video) didn't work AT ALL.

I'd say for the cost and the 50/50 reviews, I'd suggest saving your money and going the 'old fashioned' way of bonding with your baby.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/03/10 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Megs
Gliders don't actually respond to their name but rather how you talk to them, but this is based solely on your bond with one another.

I've talked to two people who have used the bonding potion. One swears by it and the other (and there was video) didn't work AT ALL.

I'd say for the cost and the 50/50 reviews, I'd suggest saving your money and going the 'old fashioned' way of bonding with your baby.

I disagree with the "responding to their name" as I have seen first hand that a glider can actually learn the sound of their name as distinct form other sounds you make while talking, as well as a few other words.

I do agree with you that the "old fashioned" way of bonding is best.

Trust is of the utmost importance in bonding. They need to trust you. one way to build that trust is through consistency. Do the same thing every time and get them on a routine and they know what to expect, that is trust. Handling them gently builds trust. and leaving them alone when they really want to does as well. Mutual respect is important.
Just my opinions

lookie here and tell me what ya think
http://jillmariestuff.webs.com/bondingandtraining.htm
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/03/10 06:52 PM

I talked to someone a while back that said the bonding potion worked wonders. I just don't think it's best for the glider, but that's just me. I agree with the above, just do some regular bonding... wink
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/03/10 07:03 PM

It sounds kind of gimmicky to me. I'd personally be wary of it...
Posted By: jimbo

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/03/10 08:31 PM

This product was developed to assist in tough bonding situations, not to replace the normal approach to bonding. As it says on the product page:

"This product is designed to create conditions more conducive to bonding between humans and sugar gliders. Please understand this is not a miracle product or magic formula. Rather, it is designed to be an adjunct to the bonding process. You must remain consistent, patient and calm during each bonding session."

There was a thread on Glider Gossip a while back on this product with before / after videos and lots of comments from people who have used it:

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28419

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/06/10 05:00 AM

Well my baby is already bonded, I just thought maybe the potion could enhance it.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/06/10 07:48 AM

Time will enhance your bonding if it is already established. hug2 Some extra loving and treats wont' hurt either. grin
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/06/10 02:27 PM

Gliders don't actually respond to their name

I disagree, as well..with time and consistency, gliders will learn their name and many here have gliders who do just that. thumb

I also agree that old fashioned bonding practices are more worth the money... smile

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/06/10 02:31 PM

Gliders don't actually respond to their name

I also disagree, not only do they know their names, but they know different sentences. They are highly intelligent.
Posted By: Kimberlyann

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/06/10 03:20 PM

I just ordered the bonding potion smile I won't be using it to replace the bonding practices. I need all the help I can get with my boys as they have issues from being neglected in their previous home. And it is pretty cheap to try it out smile

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/06/10 06:39 PM

Let us know how that works in your opinion once you try it out.

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/07/10 10:09 PM

So far the bonding potion seems to be working great!!!! Usually my boys (who I have been bonding with for the last 3 months) bite (hard enough to draw blood) my fingers if they are sitting on my hand or when I try to pet their little head. After using the bonding potion as instructed they just smell my fingers and seem to be more relaxed. Even getting groomed and I only used it yesterday and today!

They really seem to like the smell of it!

I think it works great. Since gliders bond thru scent, what you do is, 3 sprays in their sleeping/bonding pouch and spray your hands and rub them together. Then when you put your hand in the bonding pouch to pet them they recognize the smell and relate it to the smell of their pouch, which is something safe and secure.

Yesterday I introduced my 2 girls to each other and I sprayed my hands and then petted each glider down good, so they would have the familiar scent. I have read to put a bit of vanilla on each glider during an introduction. So I thought this may work better. The intro was successful! But I don't know if it was due to the spray or not....

The way I look at it is I need all the help I can get with bonding. This is in no way a miracle spray that replaces bonding, but more enhances the bonding process.

All gliders are different and it may not work for some, but for only $12 it's worth a try

I am so glad that I got it, I CAN tell a difference in them!
Posted By: jimbo

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/07/10 10:31 PM

Kimberlyann, thanks for giving it a try and glad it worked out for you! Sounds like you followed the instructions, which is important, as we found in our trials there really is a "best way" to use the product.

The product really is about getting everyone (including sometimes the humans!) to relax a bit at first so the bonding process can get started in the right direction. It's not a miracle, but it does seem to calm all the players down!

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/07/10 11:12 PM

Jimbo, I really love this spray!!!!! And a big thank you for the free toy (the ring thing) The suggies love it and I love watching them attack it lol

How great of a deal is that!! Not only did I get the spray, but a cool new toy and a sample bag of food!

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/08/10 12:39 AM

With or without the potion, I am happy to hear that it went well. clap

I used vanilla on one introduction and to this day I still don't know if it was the vanilla that did the trick. dunno

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/08/10 01:52 AM

TY Gizmogirl, it could not have gone better! They were so happy to meet each other, as they were both pretty lonely being quarantined and away from their parents.They both love attention and cuddling! They definitely need each other!

Whew! I was so nervous!!

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/08/10 05:46 AM

Yep it can be pretty nerve wrecking doing intros. But you did it! clap Now for some pics over in Glider Talk and Traveling to show off your buddies. hug2

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/23/10 08:26 PM

That's great that it worked out!

I suppose I'll be ordering me some soon.
Posted By: Viciousencounter

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 11/25/10 04:26 AM

I use lots of words with my girls.
I tell them I am putting them up, to be courteous then they know that "night night" means HIDE!
I let them know their nails are being trimmed and they don't crab as much.
I use another word to let them know that I want them some where and they come over.
I can say that I am about to give them I highly delicious treat by saying "num num".
Even their names they respond to, if I am talking about them to someone while they are awake they will turn their head to see if I want them.

I would highly recommend referring to them using their name just like you would a person. It has worked for me, and it probably makes them feel like you guys can really communicate.
Posted By: BenC

Re: Bonding Potion?... - 12/03/10 03:35 PM

So I've read this very interesting thread and decided to try out an idea it sparked and I'd like to share in case any one is interested. The bonding potion seems to be no more than a strong scent that the gliders enjoy. I haven't actually tried the product, but from reading this thread that's what I gather.

I figure let me take some papaya that my glider really seems to enjoy and squish its juices all over my hands. So then I feed her the papaya that way. Seemed to work great.

I then did the same with my wife and daughter (she definitely hasn't bonded to those two at all) and while she crabbed a bit she readily accepted the fruit from them both.

Hope this might be helpful to any that are having some trouble with the bonding process.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL