GliderCENTRAL

Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please

Posted By: LSardou

Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/09/09 02:32 PM

See Part 1 here
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/09/09 08:04 PM

Hey Everyone! It's time for an update!!!!!

Thanks for all the support LOL.

Ok last night I got a pillow and just laid down in their room and just repeated over and over 'everything is going to be ok'... and guess what PIIIIIIXIE!!!!! Hehehe. Sorry. Pixie's ears didn't go down ONCE!!!! smile She came up to me and her ears were all up and everything smile

Last night my babies were fighting... have no clue why. So it was so hard to keep my calm when they were fighting. I DID have to put my hand in their cage besides giving them their food but I didn't touch them. Tinkerbell was still up and was just sitting next to the cage door. She didn't want to sleep with Pixie so I had to put an extra pouch in there for her. I think they are sleeping together now though.

So... I think we are making progress!!!! smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/09/09 08:05 PM

OH! Wanted to add... I've never sat by their cage that long. This doesn't really go with this thread but I think my Tinkerbell is growing. LOL
Posted By: Bourbon

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 12:17 AM

For those reading, (in general), from this point forward Deannawill be dealing directly with Erica, and the particular issues that she is having with Pixie,.

what this means, is that the process is being tailored to Pixie, for others out there, there may be other things that are done first, different times, or places. it all depends on the individual glider.

Erica, that means what you are doing here, may not work for another glider, so be very careful with the advice based on what you learn here after today.

example, with a lunger/crabber/biter, we work at a much slower pace, and work mainly in the cage till the gliders trust us enough to take them out. In ericas case, the gliders are not crabbers, or lungers, and they don't bite her every time she is around them, so we are able to work with her at a different point in the process.

if someone would like more individual help for their glider feel free to call, or start another thread. IF you have any questions and need us to go into more detail and reasons, we would be glad to do that here.

Erica, We need to to pay close attention to everything that Deanna is going to tell you, there will be a lot of info, but all of it is important, read it a couple of times if you need to, so you really understand..

same rules apply, please keep her updated on what you notice, the body language you notice and things that you "think" may be able to help.. keep looking through the eyes of your gliders, watch their body language, not just the ears, but everything.

and good luck.. LOL
Posted By: DeeDancer

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 12:32 AM

Erica, I need to know what your playtime situation is. Do they play in a tent, closet, room, what? Also, is their cage in your bedroom or do they have their own room? Where is the playtime place located in relation to their cage (same room, different room, etc.)?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 03:58 AM

Bourbon... Thanks that makes perfect sense.

Deanna,
Umm have you taken a look at my post that I made showing their room?
It's right here:
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...date#Post748166

They have their own 'room' it's my walk in closet. It's very big. And their cage is in the same room that they are let out in. Hopefully that helps. (Hope you will be around) smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 03:59 AM

Their cage isn't in my room... it's in my walk in closet. Which IS in my room, but I have a large room. The door stays open all the time, only gets shut during play time.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 04:08 AM

Have to take off in a few... hopefully you'll be around wink

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 04:28 AM

Okay. I hadn't seen that post before, no. I need you to take some time to make sure that your bedroom is COMPLETELY glider safe. If one (or both) of your gliders get into your bedroom, it needs to be no big deal. This will be important later.

Tonight, you are going to take them out for playtime-BUT there are some really important things that you are going to do during playtime.

1. Don't take them out for playtime in their pouch. When you take them out for playtime, put your hand (PALM DOWN) 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of your glider and wait for your glider to climb onto your hand. That is how you will transport them out of their cage into the environment outside of their cage, or their playroom/closet. When they come out of the cage, you want them coming out ON YOU. If either one is hesitant to do this, it is okay for now to "lure" them onto your hand using lickys-NO biteys. In other words, no mealworms, yogies, nothing that they have to bite comes from your hand. To deliver the lickys, you can use the back end of a wooden spoon. You can also suck some licky treat up into a 3 inch section of straw and offer them the end of the straw. What I mean by this is to cut a straw into a 3 inch section and suck up some yogurt/applesauce/HPW into it and let them lick it out of the straw. Once you get where you want to be in the closet/room, put your hand up to where you want to let them get off of you.

2. During playtime, you want to repeat the process that I just told you. Put your hand 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of your glider PALM DOWN, allow them to climb on (if you have to lure them on, that is okay), move your hand to somewhere else, and let them off. You don't want your gliders jumping off of you, you want them to climb off where you let them. It is OKAY if they do jump off for now, but the goal is to be able to move your hand without them getting off until you stop moving.

I know this is going to be very, very hard, but tonight during playtime, NO petting. Don't use the palm of your hand for ANYTHING with your gliders right now. When you approach them, it should ALWAYS be PALM DOWN, 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of them. Don't restrict them in any way, let them do what they want. The eventual goal here is that they will climb onto the back of your hand without being lured with the licky treats.

3. When it is time for them to go back to the cage, transport them the same way we just talked about. Get them to climb onto your hand, and let them jump off once they are in the cage.

Stay calm throughout playtime-remember that they pick up on your emotions. I just want to reiterate NO using your palm for anything. Every time you offer your hand to your gliders, it will be the BACK of your hand, your palm will be toward the ground.

Again, we want them to WANT to be on you. They are getting treats when they climb on your hand, so climbing on your hand will be a good thing to them. You will be showing them that your hands are good, fun things. You will be teaching them to stay on you while you are moving.

Do you have any questions?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 04:37 AM

Wanted to add:

Remember to watch their body language. In addition to their ears, what movements are they making? Watch for their muscles tensing up, and watch the color of their noses, as purple can indicate stress. What do you see in their eyes? Body language is anything they do that shows us what they are feeling.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 04:39 AM

Ok... I DO have a couple of questions Dee.

First off let me say that what you are explaining is exactly what I got Tinkerbell to do with me. When ever it's play time I stick my hand in the cage and she hops onto my hand to be let out, when it's time to go back I put my hand near her, she hops on and I put her back in the cage.

Now with Pixie I've tried to do this but she would aways bite me so I left her alone. So for her I would just keep the cage door open until she wanted to come on out (which she did right after Tinkerbell) Figured I'd let you know how that goes. Now Tinkerbell just started doing this, so it wasn't like a two second thing I tried and tried (I would give her treats every time she would come on me so eventually she'd stick around on me) Now I don't know how I'm going to do this with Pixie and I'll admit I'm a bit nervous. -You told me to tell you everything and I'm not going to lie.

So... NO petting JUST getting her on me. I have NO idea how I'm going to do that. Do you suggest feeding them after play time so I can lure her better?

I have about 20 more minutes I can stick around... Hopefully you'll respond by then.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 04:55 AM

OH And do I have to use a spoon or whatever to use lickily treats or can I use my finger?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 04:59 AM

Do it with the lickys. Prior to now you weren't using lickys, you were using biteys with them, right? It's harder to do this with treats they can hold because they can grab the treat and jump off of your hand. Don't be scared of Pixie, remember she will respond to your emotions. Watch her body language. If you put your hand 2 inches in front and 2 inches below her, she will have to put her head down to bite you. Watch those ears, watch for signs that she's going to bite, and if you see that, it is okay to move away. The licky treat should be distracting enough. Hold the straw over your hand and then show it to her, lure her onto there with it. She will be licking the straw, not biting you.

No petting, just getting her on you. Correct. If you decide to feed them after playtime that is fine, mine ARE more receptive to lickys when they haven't had dinner yet.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 05:02 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't use your finger because you don't want to encourage Pixie to bite it if she licks all of the treat off BEFORE you are able to let her off of your hand. A straw works really well because they have to focus on getting their tongue up there to get the treat out.

It's okay if she jumps off when you start moving the first few times, just keep trying to lure her on with those treats.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 05:16 PM

OK. Before I give you my update. Dee said to tell the truth and nothing but the truth... so... that's what you're going to get. This whole thread has been nothing but the truth and as much as I'm upset I'm not going to lie about last night... as it's going to get me no where. -That's just a suggestion to others that have a problem... if you don't tell the truth, it's going to be a lot harder for people to help you out.

:::::::::Now for the news:::::::
Well... I'm sure you guys are waiting for an update on me. I did everything you said to do last night and I'm so sorry... it didn't go over well upset

Last night was really weird, at least for Tinkerbell it was. I did my normal putting my hand in so she usually hops right on me. But last night she decided to nibble on me. I don't know if the three days away from her mad her upset or what. But I showed her the straw and she hopped on. After that she was fine. She hoped right onto me the rest of the play time. She made it seem like she missed me. She usually sticks on me but today seemed special, maybe it's because I missed them so much.

I'm so upset... I'm so sorry but I don't have good news for Pixie upset
I tried for over a half an hour with her and I couldn't get her out of the cage. I tried the straw... I think she thinks I'm going to drop her. Because when I first showed her my hand with the straw she was half way on and then I moved just slightly and she got off fast. I'm like [censored], then I did it again. And she was almost completly on (minus a couple bites) and then decided she didn't like it and went off. After that it was nothing but biting and I'm sorry but I couldn't take anymore. I forgot what it felt like and trust me Monika it's not like yours... I guess I forgot and figured they were the same. My hands have marks all over it now, I had no clue what else to do. She kept biting, she's even trying to hold me down with her hands... and when I'd move my hand away she would walk slowly up to it, almost like she was trying to chase it. You told me not to pet her or anything. I didn't talk to her or anything, I just said the 'everything is going to be ok'. It was just hurting so bad that I couldn't take it anymore so I had to stop I put my hand out for Tink and she hoped right on and sadly I had to put her back in the cage my hands were hurting so bad. I ran them through some cold water... they still hurt today. I'm just so upset... I tried at it as long as I could. I didn't touch her or force her. She was sitting at her perch and I tried everytime she was just sitting there staring at me. I did exactly what you said to do, I tried the straw and everything. upset

Well I told you nothing but the truth... maybe I missed something and did something wrong. But I felt like I was getting better with her and then it stopped and then I was getting better with her it stopped and now it's the same thing.

I believe I followed everything you said to do. OH and for the body language... Her ears were UP! Even when she was biting... I was so confused because usually her ears go down. frown

Well Dee I hope you'll know what to do and I explained everything for you. I'm sorry, I wish I had better news for you. She was so close and then I guess she didn't like it and stopped. I didn't even get to get her out of the cage! upset

While we were doing the three day thing I guess I forgot what she was like. I really hope you guys can help me with this. Can we get through this?

It's not so much the physical pain... it's more the emotinal pain. I did my best at staying calm and I kept saying the 'everything is going to be ok' to her. And her ears kept staying up so I'm like, oh goodie this is going to be good! I wish I had better news for you guys...
It sucks looking at my hands and it's my pet that did that...

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 05:23 PM

I think she's actually worse in the cage though. I've been bitten more times when she's in the cage rather than she's out...

It's almost as if she got worse because she always comes out of the cage. Last night she didn't even try.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 06:04 PM

I am sorry Erica, OUCH! I don't Pagen has ever left marks. I am sure these glider experts will have advice for you. I am doing about the same thing as you, and for step two I will probably spend like a week on it LOL My babies don't quite trust my hands yet.

Good luck, I feel like we are in a school sport or something, and we have to practice smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 07:08 PM

I was a little confused by Pixie's behavior, so I asked Bourbon what was up. She said that you did EVERYTHING right last night, Erica. Our goal is to find out what Pixie's limit is, to see how many times you can try with her before she says "Forget this," and doesn't want any more.

Tonight, wear a hoodie or long sleeve sweater, something you can pull down over your hand. Pull it down over your hand to protect your skin before you offer your hand to Pixie. Your sweater will have your scent on it, so for now, that's fine. You recognized when she decided that she didn't like it and she got off. Tonight, only try TWO times.

When you try to lure her on, make sure that you don't move unless/until she starts crawling up your arm. If she jumps off, that is okay, give her the treat and then wait 10 to 15 minutes before trying again. Leave the cage door open and watch her. If she comes to the front like she wants to come out, go up to her and offer her your hand w/the lickys.

Again, you didn't do anything wrong. I still feel that this is progress with Pixie because you are learning more about her.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 07:14 PM

Good. I'm glad I didn't do anything wrong.

You said only try this TWO times. Try it two times with a sweater? Or two times with my bear hands? She has gotten on me before with my sweater. I had to do that when she wouldn't let me hold her so I picked her up gently with my sweater and she was fine with that. I think the sweater will work. I just figured it woudln't be good because I thought it was like the glove thing where you aren't suppose to wear gloves to hold them.

So we're doing nothing during the day? Only at night? I hope we can get through this. Had to have my hands on ice today... That makes her sound bad but I have super thin hands. I hate my hands... and I get bruises from her bites for some reason. I tried as long as I could giving her about 5 minute breaks each time before I put my hand back in. I really tried, I just couldn't take it anymore.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 07:16 PM

So really only do it two times tonight? I guess I'm a little confused because you said wait 10 to 15 minutes. Hmm...

If she goes on then I do it more? Or... Sorry.

Have to take off for a little bit.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 07:16 PM

OH Another thing... Can I pet Tinkerbell? Just wondering durring play time. And I was wondering you said no petting can I play or no?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 07:59 PM

yes erica, petting tinkerbelle is fine, (wait till Deana comes in again and explains the "pet count" )but we want you to concentrate on pixie.. when she jumps off of you wait 15 minutes before you offer her your hand, palm down (covered by your shirt) when she gets on you, give her a licky treat, use the straw it really does work well. (reward her for getting on you)

you are doing great, I know it hurts..

during the day, open the cage, tell them everything is going to be okay, then close the door.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 10:24 PM

Ok thanks for letting me know. I didn't pet Tinkerbell last night because I didn't know if it was ok. LOL.

I picked up some yougart today and some more straws. smile Hopefully she'll like it. I still have applesauce and pear sauce. I used apple sauce last night.

Ok I got the 15 minute thing. I was just wondering what the ONLY TWO TIMES meant really.

I really hope we can get through this. I'm trying my best.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/10/09 11:59 PM

Quote:
I tried for over a half an hour with her and I couldn't get her out of the cage.

total time

Because when I first showed her my hand with the straw she was half way on and then I moved just slightly and she got off fast.

Time 1

I'm like [censored], then I did it again. And she was almost completly on (minus a couple bites) and then decided she didn't like it and went off.

Time 2

After that it was nothing but biting

Time 3 etc...

notice after the second time, she did a lot of biting, so that was too much..

that is okay, you didn't do anything wrong, but what you learned is the steps she took, so by only trying 2 times, you will not be reaching the "nothing but biting stage..

sometimes you have to try things, to find out from them, what it is they will tolerate/allow you to do. Then you go backwards, and don't do it as much.

when she jumped off of you, .. you said it..

Quote:
I think she thinks I'm going to drop her.

then you said..

Quote:
she was half way on and then I moved just slightly and she got off fast.

this was very very good Erica, you noticed her movements, and you thought through her eyes..

so now take that, just that first part I just posted, and ask yourself, and please tell Deanna. since you "think", that she is afraid your going to drop her.. then what can you do now, to help her learn you won't?

offer ideas and suggestions to Deanna, and see what she thinks about them,

this is very very important, because later on down the road, things will happen, and you will be able to figure all this out by yourself, but it does require practice.

you are doing very well keep up the good work..

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 12:35 AM

Hmm. I was thinking about this. I think I just need some way to support my hand so I don't move at all then once she gets on give her the treat. I've been thinking all day of this trying to think of what I can do today differntly.

I understand the time thing now. I can't wait to see what happens tonight.

I don't really know what to do for her to learn I won't drop her. Hmm that's been on my mind all day today and she's got me stumpted.

Thanks... I'm glad I'm doing good.

Hey just wondering I thought by having them in a bonding pouch with you that helps the process? When I was reading how to bond with them that's what they said to do. But I noticed we aren't doing that. Is there a reason for this? I'd love to learn more if there is a reason. smile

Hey... Pixie LOVES feathers can I lure her with a feather? That's like the only thing she can't resist. I wonder if that will work better. That's how I usually get her on my lap during play time. What do you guys think.

And the play thing is still on my mind Dee... You said no petting. Can I play with them or no?

Thanks guys again hug2

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 05:43 AM

LOL... Figured Dee would come around... Or someone.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 05:57 AM

sorry Erica, we don't want you to think we forgot about you, Deanna is out for the night.. and asked if I could respond to you..

Quote:
Hey just wondering I thought by having them in a bonding pouch with you that helps the process? When I was reading how to bond with them that's what they said to do. But I noticed we aren't doing that. Is there a reason for this? I'd love to learn more if there is a reason

yes there is a time, and right now we have to work on this first.. that will be our move after we work on this area..
think about it this way, right now you are working with her in a larger area.. can you imagine working with her in a much smaller area right now? We don't want you to get bit anymore from here on in.. when it comes time for the pouch work, we want her (pixie) to be okay with your bare hands, and coming to them on her own.. this won't take as long as you may think.. thank you for being patient with us..

our FULL concentration must be on the area we are working on now. remember everything you are learning now, you will also be using when we start working with the pouch.

something else I want you to keep in your mind.. that PIXIE may be a playtime glider, not wanting to cuddle as tinkerbell does. it doesn't mean she won't be happy, just that she may be happier as a playtime glider. so the first thing we are going to work on, is HER comfort zone. and her personality.. remember your words.. she wants to go, go, go.. that is not a bad thing, so we are going to start with a relationship, in a way, she can do what SHE wants, if she wants to go, go, go. then we are going to let her, and at the same time, you will be able to enjoy her in her element.. I hope I explained this right..

Tinkerbell.. yes.. it is okay for you to pet her, as there has never been an issue with that right? so with her.. we are going to start what we call the "pet count"

which means you will increase the amount of time you pet her each time.. with time in between each time..

example..

SINCE TINKERBELL has never had an issue with you petting her we can start with like a 20 count. (for pixie, it will be much lower when we start..)

okay what you will do is when you pet her, you will pet her , with confidence..cause you KNOW you won't get bit.. this is going to be very important when you start to work with pixie, so please take time now to practice this..

although you will be working with tinkerbell, I want you to "THINK" that it is pixie in your head.. start to pet her, and slowly count to 20, then stop..give yourself about 3 or 4 minutes before you do it again. do that 4 times. every move you make, must be done with confidence. just do it.. do not go slowly you will put your hand so the heel of your palm is at her head and pet her back, back of the neck and body. pet her very gently, but do not move real slow. but don't move real fast either..

as for the feathers... IF the feather is a long one, Deanna, said her gliders bite at the feathers, so as long as they are long, and it isn't so short they would associate them with your fingers.. that would be fine.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 06:18 PM

Time for my update!

Last night was great. I did the sweater thing that I was told to do and it worked... But I knew that was going to work. I have to admit I only tried the sweater once and that was when I tried to get her out of the cage. Then she wanted down off of me right away so I let her. Then she went to the box of feathers and pulled one out.
So... I took the feather and bribed her up on me and she sat on me the entire play time. I have to admit that I didn't do what you said completly. I couldn't resist petting her and I did it once to see how she would react and she started chirping so I pet her some more... I just couldn't resist.

She sat on my hand the entire time then would move up to my shoulder, then move up to my hand. I would put her in the cage with my hand (not covered up with a sweater) and then take her back out without the sweater on and she'd come on me. She came on me like three times while she was in the cage without the sweater on... So I did it! I did step two! smile

I watched her body language and... her ears were up the WHOLE time!!!! smile

I'm sorry I pet her... I couldn't resist and you guys told me not to lie and to tell you everything I did... I didn't want to tell you guys. LOL. I watched her the whole time and she even would turn around like she was going to bite but she just sniffed my hand. I think what my problem is (usually) when she turns around I automatically think she's going to bite me and I get nervous.

Right now... one of them is in their pouch barking... LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 06:50 PM

You're doing great Erica!!! Congrats on the progress!!! Has anyone thought that maybe the biting is jus a grooming thing for Pixie??? I know some people seem think that their gliders nibble on them to show affection. Bella chews on my neck all the time, ans I know she is grooming me when she does that. But I have tougher skin than poor Erica. frown Are you using any kind of hand cream, or do you have perfume or anything on your hands that may be upsetting her??? Even cosmetics can do it. Hmm...

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 06:58 PM

No. I don't ever wear purfume... only on special occasions, it makes me sick I can't handle the smell. Same with lotion.

I don't think it's grooming. Because she's not trying to groom me when she bites. She just will reach out with her hand to pull me and bite down HARD. It's very painful. She was my little baby girl last night.
I really don't think it's grooming though. Because she's biting down so hard. When she was grooming me it was a softer bite and she was licking me while she was doing it. This time she's just trying to bite.

Thanks Robin! hug2 I hope I'm doing this right... LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 06:58 PM

ONE thing though. I have cats... Just wondering if that's a possibility. Tyler has a dog... But I'm just wondering if that has any imput.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/11/09 11:01 PM

Well then, just keep doind EXACTLY as Deanne and Bourbon suggest. I see that you ARE making progress with this process, don't give up wink

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 12:10 AM

I can't wait to hear what to do next. smile I'm eagerly awaiting Burbon and Dee's reply! smile

I can't wait until I get to have my babies in the bonding pouch again. I miss them so much. cloud9

Thanks Robin hug2 with all the support it would be hard to give up.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 01:58 AM

Erica, do tonight what you did last night. go back and read my last post .

the concentration on Pixie is going to be to allow her the freedom to come and go as she pleases once she is out, if she gets on you and you don't have to make any big moves, or stretches.. etc.. do a 5 count pet on her. with tink you can do a 20 if she will let you, but keep them to only 5 slow seconds with pixie. then stop.

work on enticing pixie to come onto you, on her own, our goals here, are for her to do it, without your hand and arm being covered, once she does start to do that, take 2 days to reinforce that. remember, it isn't about how long they stay on you during playtime, it is about them getting on you, and then getting off. keep track of how many times she does do it, watch her, not just her ears.. but everything, their eyes, their facial expressions, etc how they react to sounds, movements etc..

please do NOT rush this part, this is so very important for LONG term relationships. if this part is rushed, then she may be okay for a short time, but very well may revert back to her old ways, and if she does do that.. we will have to come back to the cage again.. so taking your time now, is very very important.

the goal is learning to play with her, and building trust at the same time.

night time is PLAYTIME .. be their tree, be part of their playtime, but getting them to come to you, and allowing them to go off.

stay focused..

good luck let us know..

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 02:33 AM

Hey Bourbon. Did you check my update? I did say I got her to go on me without my hand being covered smile She went on it mulitple times and no biting.

So basically I'm trying to get her to have the same behavior as Tink is showing towards me? Tinkerbell will always crawl, jump and chill out on me. Is that the behavor I'm trying to get out of Pixie? Tyler did tell me that Pixie isn't really a 'play' glider. He said she doesn't seem to play with anything... and I've noticed this too. I can't seem to get her to have fun or jump around. She usually just sits in one spot and just chills or runs on her wheel. She's not like Tink where she jumps, glides and everything. In fact, I haven't noticed any 'play' behavior from her.

I went back and read your post. 'PIXIE may be a playtime glider, not wanting to cuddle as tinkerbell does' -- This is what I've been trying to explain. She is the one that IS the cuddle bug. Not Tink. Tinkerbell will cuddle but Pixie was the one that always iniciates it, if that makes sense. That's why in my original post I said I was confused with her behavior.

Lemme see if this explains it better:
Pixie durring play time: Is very slow. She doesn't play but wants to check everything out. She doesn't seem to like the fleece wall or doesn't seem to like high things very much, I've only seen her glide once but that's because I put her up high (which people suggested on the forum) to get her to glide... which she did, but that was a face hug.
She doesn't play... with the feathers she just wants to chew on them, not so much play.

For Tink...she plays like crazy, she's extreamly hyper and doesn't really chill out. She's not a biter but when I first got her she was the one that wouldn't stop crabbing but I got her to stop. smile She now will snuggle with me when Pixie will and is just a little baby. She's curious but not as curious as Pixie. She's the one that stays back for Pixie to check it out first then she'll run and check it out.

They are both completly different. Pixie seems to enjoy being petted more. Tinkerbell does give me the chirps but not as often.

More like Pixie acts like she's 50 and Tink acts like she's 2. She's a wild child.

And for the petting, yes. I can pet Tinkerbell as long as I want. In fact I think Pixie enjoys petting more so than Tink does. Pixie chirps when I pet her, she's the cuddle bug too. Tinkerbell is more the follower... once Pixie would come out and snuggle with me she'd come out and want to snuggle up with me.

--It's really hard for me to explain their behavior without you being over to see it... LOL.
Feel free to ask questions if you need to understand them more. I'm trying my best to explain. smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 04:13 AM

I wanted to address my concern about something that has been on my mind... When I first got Tinkerbell she was a STRONG crabber in the pouch and she would even launch at me at times. But it wasn't a launch... like a bite launch she'd launch at me with her mouth open but she'd shut it. Like she'd be crabbing and I knew once I put my hand in there and realized it was me she'd chill out and snuggle... but she'd launch and then her nose would hit me and she'd be like oh, it's you.

I was just wondering with me not going near the pouch anymore if it will bring her back to her old ways? Because it took me a couple weeks or so to get her to stop crabbing completely. I've just been stressing over this and it would really help if you guys tell me it's going to be ok and that won't happen. Just been on my mind since I haven't been touching the pouch at all. Hopefully you guys understand what I mean.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 04:46 AM

Hey Erica, sorry I wasn't able to post last night but I was out & I've been having computer issues today. BUT it's all good now...
So, I don't think that Tink will go back to crabbing and lunging just because you aren't touching the pouch. I went out of town for a week recently and my gliders got very little interaction while I was gone, and they weren't carried around at all. When I came back, their behavior in the pouch was the same as when I left-and these guys both used to crab incessantly in the pouch and lunge and bite. I think that Tink will be fine. Bourbon, if you disagree or think that it's possible that Tink will go back to her previous behavior, please feel free to let me know.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 05:12 AM

Hey Dee! smile

Good to know... Now I'll stop stressing over the issue.

I feel as though I made progress with Pixie last night. I hope the same will happen tonight.

She kept turning around and I did start to flinch thinking she was going to bite me and I messed up... I had to tell myself to stay calm or she'll bite you because you're scaring her. Truth be told all she wanted to do was sniff me. I was so happy when she went on me like three times when she crawled on me without the sweater. I even put her back in her cage without the sweater on. She was my little angel last night. cloud9 Just made me realize how much I missed her! LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 07:05 AM

That's AWESOME! Good luck with her tonight smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 02:33 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!! I LOVE my baby...

I had the BEST night I've ever had... easter came early last night.

Ok... I'm going to give you a play by play of what she did.

Tinkerbell is aways the first one up so I had to wait a little under a half an hour for her to wake up so I just played with Tink.
She peaked her head out of her pouch, like she always does and then she started getting out of the pouch. I thought yesterday went well but I was still a little nervous thinking she may go to bite because she just woke up. I DIDN'T LURE HER!!! She went right onto my hand and it wasn't even near her yet. I was scared that she was reaching to bite me like she always does so I got ready to almost pull away once I noticed her teeth... but NOPE she was trying to make me come closer so she could get on!!!!!!! That hasn't happened before!

Ok... think that was good? She wanted to STAY on me! She got on me and was looking for her feather because tink had hers (they both have a certain feather they like) so she was chilling out on my hand... Then it dropped and she was just sitting waiting for me to pick it up.

Ok... now for the good part. She stopped playing with her feather so she kept looking at the food so I figured she was hungry so I put her down by her food and she crawled off... After she was done she looked at me and started HEADING BACK!!!! She hopped on my leg (I was sitting on my knees) grabbed her feather and hopped up on my arm! I almost cried. She never does that let alone go on my legs!!!!

She kept going back onto me the entire play time. I couldn't believe it. That was the best night ever! I am so happy... I couldn't believe it.

I only got bit once and that's because she missed the feather and bit me instead and when I hissed she was like oh sorry. Usually when I hiss she doesn't move!

OMG I couldn't believe it. I had to stay calm when she came back to me because I almost started tearing up. I had to tell myself to stop because it might make her get off. LOL.

Even if it doesn't even get better than this I'll be happy. I couldn't and still can't believe what happened last night. I kept thinking it was a dream. BTW she LOVES the little thing you take off of milk, the milk loops. Last night was the first night she got to see it. She likes it just about as much as her feathers.

It was so funny... Usually Tinkerbell is used to being the only one on me. I swear she was getting jealous... I don't know if sugar glider get jealous though. She kept coming onto me where Pixie was and just taking her toys away from her. And she'd crawl up on my shoulder and just look at her like why is SHE here? LOL. It was so cute.

Could it possibly get better than this? cloud9

I didn't think this would ever happen. She was an angel last night. cloud9

I did the 5 pet count last night. I really don't think petting is an issue with her though. She likes being pet.

Awe... I'm still on cloud9

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 02:37 PM

Like I said the other day... I think she just had to know that I wasn't going to drop her and that I'm safe... Then today it's like she liked how yesterday went and wanted to do it again. cloud9
I'm so happy! grin
Posted By: MissSarah

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 03:44 PM

I've been reading this thread as its been updated, but havent said anything. Im so glad youre having good luck with your baby! Congrats! smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 03:48 PM

Thank you! hug2 You have NO idea how happy I am today... grin It really helps when you guys say good things. smile

I appreciate everyone that has been following this thread! I couldn't of done it without you guys. I can't believe WE are making progress... I think both of us, including me... are getting more and more comfortable around each other and I think that's helping us. As I'm becoming more comfortable she's picking up on that and I feel as though it helps her. As hard as I've been trying to be calm... you really have to show that you are comfortable too.

I think both of us are just staring to come together... It's not just her that needs to trust... I need to learn that Pixie is fine. And I'm getting better and better... we both are smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 04:22 PM

Great Job Erica!!! Keep up the good work..

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 08:11 PM

Thanks! smile

I had too much fun with her last night. I stayed up SUPER late. blush

Will it truly get better than this? jump

Do you guys agree with what I'm saying? It's not just her it's me... we both need to learn to trust each other.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/12/09 11:09 PM

That's exactly what I meant in my first post in Part 1 of this thread, when I said that I didn't think that you trusted her-totally what I meant! That's GREAT to hear, keep it up!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 12:15 AM

I know Dee! Now I just come to realize it! hug2

I'm so unbelievably happy! I can't wait until tonight!

So just do the same stuff right?
Posted By: Nicki

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 12:23 AM

Congrats Erica!! grin dance

Your doing great!! grin

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 01:55 AM

Yes, same stuff tonight.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 03:11 AM

OOOH I can't wait for tonight. I keep checking the time. LOL Am I crazy or what! roflmao I had so much fun last night I hope she's the same tonight. smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 06:00 PM

Last night went good.

She crawled onto my hand and no biting. She didn't really want to be on me last night though. She wanted to do her own thing. Which was ok. I put her in the cage like 5 times and she would crawl onto me to come back out. --I can tell now when she's either thirsty or wants in her cage smile

No sweater was used last night... I didn't use lickily treats just like the other day when she wanted to be on me. I didn't lure her with anything just like yesterday so I think we are doing good.

Dee,
I think I found the problem. I've been putting my hand too close to her face for her to come on me. I put it too close today and she almost bit me... but she gave me warning. So I think I figured out that's been the problem for that part. I think it's just scaring her. She's getting more and more comfortable around me though. I mean I said she snuggled with me before but now she seems to want to check me out during play time, not as much as Tink. But we'll get there. I know it's harder to gain trust on older ones. Although all gliders are different. We can do it. I hope we can.

I had to pick her up today and no bites. She kept going in this little bin where their pouches are and want out LOL. So I picked her up very calmly and she was great. I gave her a little pet on her back and she started chirping like OH THANK YOU!!! I picked her up when she was trying to find the way into the cage too. smile

OOH I forgot to tell you guys. Pixie groomed me yesterday and last night. Completely forgot that. Remember I said she was just chillin on me and wanted to be on me? She started grooming me with tongue ONLY! smile She did it today too. smile I didn't stop her because she was only using her tongue. It was so cute.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 10:31 PM

WOW I hope one day Jack and Pagen chirp when they get loved!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 11:08 PM

It's more a clicking noise when they get pet. Tink chirps when she's checking something out and it sounds like a bird. Like if she's seeing what I'm doing she'll start chirping like a bird.
But when they are being pet they make a clicking noise. smile

I'm sure they will smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/13/09 11:11 PM

Quote:

Dee,
I think I found the problem. I've been putting my hand too close to her face for her to come on me. I put it too close today and she almost bit me... but she gave me warning. So I think I figured out that's been the problem for that part. I think it's just scaring her.

Erica, can I suggest going back and reading the thread again from the beginning, this time read it very slow and try to read everything..

You are finding out things, that we have already addressed, and these are things that could help you each time you are with them.

I am very, very proud of you, I want to say, because you are learning these things on your own, it is taking you a bit longer, but that is okay. At least it shows that you are paying attention to their body language and seeing what scares them.

here is step 2 of the playtime process, that was posted.

Quote:

2. During playtime, you want to repeat the process that I just told you. Put your hand 2 inches below and 2 inches in front of your glider PALM DOWN, allow them to climb on (if you have to lure them on, that is okay), move your hand to somewhere else, and let them off. You don't want your gliders jumping off of you, you want them to climb off where you let them. It is OKAY if they do jump off for now, but the goal is to be able to move your hand without them getting off until you stop moving.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 01:57 AM

Yeah I know that part. That's what I am saying... that's why she was biting me. I read that part and that's why I told Dee because I believe that she was the one that wrote that? Or maybe it was you. That's why I'm saying I found the problem because I think that's why she bit me before.

I'll go back and read it again though. smile

Same thing tonight? Or... Just wondering how long we do this step smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 03:21 AM

Same thing tonight smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 03:21 AM

I have never heard them make this a chirping or clicking noise even when they are in their cage? hmm? Maybe they are too young still? I dont know, they do know how to bark like crazy though lol

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 03:28 AM

LOL. They may not start until later. Tink does it and she's about the same age as your guys. smile
They don't make any noise when they are getting their mealies, treats or being pet? wow... I'm sure they will soon enough. wink

OK Dee! smile I will.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 03:47 AM

Mine didn't start making noise until after I'd been working with Bourbon for a bit.

Edited to add...noise OTHER than crabbing, that is lol. I should have said that they did not chirp or click until after I'd been working with Bourbon.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 07:48 PM

Da de dum dum... Time for de update!!!

dance jump dance

I fell asleep early yesterday so my babies woke up early this morning. LOL.

I had so much fun! Pixie was my lil buddy again. She came onto me (my hand) and just chilled out there. So she was all good. I had to go to the bathroom so I put her back in her cage and while I was picking up Tinkerbell she JUMPED ONTO ME!!! cloud9 Awe. And when I say jump... I mean JUMP! She was at the end of her cage and jumped all the way over to me from the end of her cage onto my neck. And chilled out on my shoulder. Needless to say I had to hold it. Couldn't resist her. LOL. Little brat. I played with them for like three hours. I had so much fun. cloud9

I've never played with them that long! roflmao

No bites today either... smile

While Pixie is becoming better and my little buddy. Tinkerbell is learing to jump on me when called. We were playing this today. I would pat my chest and give her a treat everytime she would jump onto me. hehehe. She's a little stinker.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 08:11 PM

Need to ask you guys something... I took my trax out of my steaths because I wasn't liking them and my babies nails are LONG! I got torn up today. I was wondering if I can clip them? ... Or will this mess everything up?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 08:21 PM

Hm. This is hard for me, because I don't clip my glider's nails and Bourbon doesn't clip her glider's nails either. If you use rubbing alcohol on the scratches right after you get them, it helps a lot. I'd be kind of nervous to clip nails right now when you're doing so good with them. Maybe put your trax back in for a day or two just to get them worn down a little?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 08:48 PM

Why don't you like the Trax? I homemade mine like the way Peggy taught me and no problems with nails at all. I have not been scratched ever? No take that back, I did with a face hug right under my eye, but that skin is thinner than paper!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 08:49 PM

Ok. I'll do that. smile

I put some itch cream on it. I'm fine I was just curious if I could do it. Didn't want to use the alchol because of the smell...

Did you check my update??? grin

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 08:50 PM

Homemade? I dont' like the trax because they get so dirrrty! Although I'm a clean freak for my pets.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 08:58 PM

I made my own out of sand paper and the like knitting net kind of stuff. Its like plastic neted squares for like 24 cents at hobby lobby. And I just wash those and change the sand paper. I cut them to fit the wheel and the plastic net goes on the outside on top of the sand paper so the suggies can still run on the outside of the wheel. I do not know how to explain it. But, it does not cover the whole wheel. And I change it every week and it costs like nothing! I will take a picture of it and the stuff I use when I get home, but I think it will save your butt smile Yes I am at school between classes... I am addicted haha

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 09:00 PM

LOL. I still have about 10 or so of them... But I usually throw them away because I think they are so gross that I don't want to wash them. I figured clipping their nails would be better... Tyler showed me how and did both of my babies in less than a few minutes.

I don't really know what you're decribing... LOL!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 09:03 PM

I had so much fun with her I just want them to still be up! LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 09:04 PM

I will definately post pictures for you erica! LOL Yes they do get nasty even with the way I do it, probably not as bad, but its super easy to change and cheap.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 09:13 PM

Ok this is basically what the plastic thing is that youcut to go on the outside.
http://www.aquariaplants.com/riccia1.jpg
(the squares)
At hobby lobby though they have much bigger ones (the size of paper) and different colors. I will show you exactly though when I get home tonight. But I just thought I would give you an idea.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 09:21 PM

Ok here is like the exact one I have http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx...=5&Search=Y

LOL sorry I want to go home so bad to take pictures to show you!!! I will still do that but I do not get out of school until 7:10 ew. so around 8 you should have some pictures!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/14/09 10:46 PM

LOL. Thanks monika! I'll have to try it.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/15/09 12:48 AM

OK I AM HOME!!! LOL

This is my wheel...well the kids' wheel...

And these are the materials, I cut them the right width and just like you put in the trax, like one side at a time.

The green net is like 37 cents a sheet, you only really need one sheet because it makes two. The sand paper is like 3 bucks and I cut it and have like ten sheets or more depending on the pack you get. I never get the really rough kind or the really soft kind, I go for inbetween with the sand paper. I always put on two sections, but one would work too! And then it probably won't be as messy cus most of the time the mess would just fall through.

I hope it all makes sense now smile Peggy taught me this trick laugh

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/15/09 01:20 AM

Haha. Looks cool! I'll have to try it when I'm all out wink

Hey Dee and Bourbon!!!
What do you think of Pixie? I played with them for THREE hours. I can't even believe that! LOL.

Just wondering how long we keep this up until the next step. smile I couldn't believe she jumped back onto me. She doesn't even jump on anything that isn't close to her. cloud9

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/15/09 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: prettyinpink
Haha. Looks cool! I'll have to try it when I'm all out wink

Hey Dee and Bourbon!!!
What do you think of Pixie? I played with them for THREE hours. I can't even believe that! LOL.

Just wondering how long we keep this up until the next step. smile I couldn't believe she jumped back onto me. She doesn't even jump on anything that isn't close to her. cloud9

wanted to add... do I do the same thing tonight? smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/15/09 03:37 AM

Same thing tonight. You and Pixie are doing great! smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/15/09 07:59 PM

Same thing smile No bites... crawled onto me to come out and just played on me. smile She's my little buddy! LOL.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/15/09 09:49 PM

You can probably cut your trax to where it doesn't cover the whole wheel? I don't remember how exactly the trax look, but you may be able too!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/15/09 10:44 PM

my trax don't cover the whole wheel... they are about 6inches long. LOL. And I usually put two in there.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Bourbon
how you would have reacted if you were the glider? think about what you will in the future will do differently under the same situations thinking of life through the gliders eyes. could they have been prevented how? How could you have made things easier for the glider?

With that post in mind...
Thinking back to the things you did with your gliders before you made this thread, how could you do those things differently so that Pixie would feel more comfortable? What do you think the next step should be, Erica?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 04:25 AM

I think I responded to this post before... But I think I would've watched her eyes. I remember when I first got them I was told to look into the eyes of the gliders I thought I did that... but it wasn't until after this thread I ACTUALLY did. Then when I look back and realize when I was down stairs and had to put her back in the pouch I can't imagine how she would be feeling. Poor baby... I'm glad she bit me now. She should have because what I did was wrong. I knew it was wrong at the time but I never really realized it as much as I do now.

I think before I never really watched her. I thought I did but not until now I really am. I mean I'm not really doing anything at all that different. I'm just mostly watching her body seeing how she reacts to things and just by doing that ONE simple thing I've had drastic improvements.

What would I have done differently? I guess it just comes down to one answer... and that's actually watching her.

I've admitted that what I did with her when I was down stairs was bad but I didn't know what else to do. I guess I shouldn't of brought her down somewhere where she could've got hurt. If she wants to play I have to let her play because she doesn't understand what's right from wrong all she understands is that this big scary thing is being mean. Why should I trust her? She's scaring me by putting me in the pouch? I try to come out to play with her but she doesn't like it! Oh she's putting me back in now, but why? I want to play... now you're really scaring me. I'm going to bite if you don't stop.
That's probably what was going through her head. And now it makes me so sad... frown I was trying to protect her but she didn't see it.

I really don't know what the next step would be? I don't want to push it... but I'd love for it to be them staying on me. You'd know better than me. But I'd think that the next step would be hand trust which we have been working on but now actually doing it with the pouch and them being out? Am I right? OR... is that...

I'll be on for about a half an hour hopefully you'll respond by then. smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 04:55 AM

Erica, I know I have been having a problem getting on tonight, and it is very possible Deanna has as well. So in the meantime, tonight do the same thing, and as soon as Deanna can get on, she will let you know what to do tomorrow.

since the pouch is the next step and you are working on hand trust issues, what have you learned that will help you in the pouch? What kind of "exercises can you do in the pouch that will help you to build the hand trust issues in there. remember you won't be able to see her, so this must be based on what you have learned while playing with her.

I can think of 4 things, there may be more, but I can think of 4 that is very very important in your next step.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 05:36 PM

I was having issues getting on last night, so I gave up and went to bed. Looking forward to hearing your answer, Erica!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 08:05 PM

Hey guys... sorry wasn't able to get on.

It went great! I put my hand near her and SHE LICKED IT!!!! Hehe. No biting!!!

What do you mean by I won't be able to see her?

Hmm... I'm not really sure. I can try to think of some things. Well I can do what I've been doing already by watching her and her letting me know when she's uncomfortable or not liking it. I can use lickily treats, NO bite treats until we're ready.
Hmm... Don't take her out. Let HER come out if she wants to snuggle with me.
Do the pet count and pet her gently.
Don't put my hand in constantly?

Did I do good? If we do go to the pouch step... when she would be out on me she usually likes to come out and snuggle up with me and she likes to curl up under my hand. If we do do this can I allow her to do that? Because sometimes I would make the wrong movements when she'd be curlled up in my hand and bite or she'd bite me to let me know she wanted to snuggle... at least I thought she did.

But we've been having no biting so I wonder if this will be a problem.

Can't wait to hear from you!!!

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 09:28 PM

Hey Erica I know this is off subject...but are you not getting that squirell anymmore?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 09:32 PM

Nope frown I lost contact with her...
Here's the thread if you lost it. http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/744533/2

If all goes well I will be having a new arrival soon though... SHHHHH Don't tell. blush

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 09:44 PM

Aww that sucks!

Is your new pet a mammal, reptile, marsupial, bug? lol

Can you tell me that? and when is it coming home?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 09:51 PM

Haha... I can't! It will give it away. I'll tell you it's nothing I have right now or tried to get. wink There might be a post soon. Hehe. You know what. I think I will post it.
And for the date... Hopefully next week (Thursday or Friday)

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 09:52 PM

YAY! haha

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 10:31 PM

What Bourbon meant by "You won't be able to see her" is that in the pouch, you won't be able to see Pixie to read her body language. Therefore, you'll need to use what you've learned about her during playtime to interact with her in the pouch.

Usually you put the pouch on your lap and a blanket over it, right? And that's when she comes out and curls up on your lap?

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 10:38 PM

Yeah she'll usually come out without the blanket though and will wait for me to put it on her. smile

I can usually see her when she's on my lap.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/16/09 11:07 PM

Okay. Tomorrow, here's what I want you to do.

Take your gliders out in their pouch and put them on your lap like you used to. Don't take them anywhere where it would be dangerous if they happened to get out-just take a chair in the closet or in your glider-safe bedroom. If Pixie decides to come out, that is okay, but don't put the blanket on them. If she jumps off of you, that is okay too. Just keep an eye on her, watch where she goes. Don't chase her.

If she comes out and goes back in the pouch, then put your hand in the pouch-but DON'T touch your gliders. Your hand should be palm down and relaxed so that there is some space beneath your hand. Like I said, don't touch your gliders. They will probably walk on top of your hand first, and then curl up underneath it. When they are underneath your hand, do the pet count. Then move your hand to the other side of the pouch, again not touching them.

Also-we need to make sure that there is a distinction between bonding time and play time. Bonding time is during the day, playtime is at night. Make sure that your gliders are back in their cage by 7PM. There should be AT LEAST one hour between bonding time and playtime.

During playtime, do what you have been doing. Don't try to hold your gliders during platime.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/17/09 01:17 AM

Ok great. My gliders wake up late though... LOL.

So no petting. I think I got it wink If she starts heading somewhere in my room can I pick her up? Like if she starts going under my bed? Otherwise everything else seems fine. She just wants to check everything out if she hasn't seen that room before. LOL

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/17/09 02:40 AM

Nope, there IS petting. Like I said:

Originally Posted By: DeeDancer
When they are underneath your hand, do the pet count. Then move your hand to the other side of the pouch, again not touching them.

When they move under your hand, do the pet count & then move your hand to the other side.

You can adjust the schedule to when your gliders wake up. Just MAKE SURE that when they wake up they are IN their cage and NOT with you.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/17/09 02:45 AM

Oh, and I forgot...

Picking Pixie up at this point is a sure way to get bitten and go backwards. If she leaves, keep an eye on her. Try to remember her pattern because gliders are creatures of habit-they will go the same place every time. When I was doing this and my gliders got away from me in my room, they ALWAYS went to the dresser first. That's how I found them when I accidentally left my rept unzipped one night.

So just watch her...don't pick her up. If she climbs up something you can offer her your hand (2 inches in front of and below) but make a point not to move quickly or scare her. Make sure there's nothing she can get into that's dangerous under your bed or anywhere else so that even if she goes under there it's no big deal.

Leave the light on, she'll be less likely to want to come out of the pouch if it's bright.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/17/09 02:57 AM

Haha. She doesn't care if it's light or not. She'll come out if she wants.

Yeah the pet count... I know I just meant don't pet them otherwise.

I have picked her up before if you've been following this thread and she didn't bite me.
I'm not going to just pick her up though. I'll make sure to just watch her. smile

I'm working on their schedule on trying to change it wink

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/17/09 03:05 AM

Erica, of COURSE I've been following this thread lol. I still don't think it's a good idea to pick her up.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/17/09 03:29 AM

Yeah I know. She was stuck so I helped her out. She didn't bite me or anything. I gently set her on my lap and she crawled right back up onto me. smile

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/18/09 05:31 AM

Sorry guys I couldn't do it today... They were in their dang cube today so during play time I'm going to take the cube out so they can't sleep in it. I wouldn't have a problem with the cube except I don't think it will work with this part... LOL
I'm not going to take them out and put them in the pouch so I'll just let them be until tomorrow.

I'll try again tomorrow. Sorry guys.

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/18/09 08:33 AM

No problem! Just let us know how tomorrow goes.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Part 2: Biting - Need Suggestions Please - 04/18/09 12:53 PM

Continue on to Part 3
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL