GliderCENTRAL

Suggies & Chinchilla's?

Posted By: Anonymous

Suggies & Chinchilla's? - 03/19/12 07:54 PM

Hi everyone.

Wasn't sure where to post this, hope here is ok.

I'm just curious as to whether suggies and chinchilla's get on, mainly because I wondered that if I ever end up having both (in separate cages of course) if it would be safe having them play out of their cages together/in the same area? Or would this cause a dangerous fight/attack to take place and should they be kept completely apart at all costs?

Thank you in advance for any responses. =)
Posted By: Sniperbaby

Re: Suggies & Chinchilla's? - 03/19/12 08:16 PM

I can't say for certain, but I wouldn't do it.

Chinchillas have those horrifying teeth and they're much bigger than suggies. Even if you have the friendliest chins ever (I had two of the sweetest little fluffballs EVER) I wouldn't trust them together, on the chance that one gets upset and attacks.

Better safe than sorry

Re: Suggies & Chinchilla's? - 03/19/12 08:26 PM

Thank you so much Sniper, very wise words.

I have noticed a few other members have chinchilla's too so was wondering if they had had them together.

But definitely looking for advice as I'd love to have a chinchilla someday and wouldn't want to do anything wrong.
Posted By: Sniperbaby

Re: Suggies & Chinchilla's? - 03/19/12 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: XSugarLipsX

But definitely looking for advice as I'd love to have a chinchilla someday and wouldn't want to do anything wrong.

You're welcome! I wouldn't see why you couldn't have both smile As long as you can commit the time (chins need as much playtime as suggies). They just shouldn't play together. I wouldn't keep their cages too close, because the chins' dust baths could irritate little glider lungs (sure irritated my human lungs and nose hehe).

I wonder what a chinchilla having a conversation with a suggie sounds like... chinchillas have a loud bark haha.

...cute thoughts! :haha:
Posted By: Mamaglider

Re: Suggies & Chinchilla's? - 03/19/12 09:07 PM

I also have chins and actually they have very different climate requirements. Chins are susceptible to heat stroke so I keep them in their own room in my basement to keep cool and the gliders obviously like it warmer so they get their own room upstairs to keep warm. I have never let them around each other.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Suggies & Chinchilla's? - 03/19/12 09:31 PM

I had a chinchilla before I got my first glider. My first chin and my first glider were two of the nicest, sweetest, calmest of either species I have ever seen. I never let them out at the same time. My glider loved to get into my chins cage when he was out for playtime (1 inch x 2 inch spacing, so he would just hop on and squiggle right in). He liked eating the chin food and treats. tounge

I panicked every time, though, knowing how quick and severe an injury from the chin on the glider could be. My suggestion, enjoy them both, separately. thumb

Re: Suggies & Chinchilla's? - 03/20/12 05:01 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I know it probably seems like common sense but I wasn't sure, if I had had a response from someone saying "I let them play together all the time and they get on wonderfully" and had a few responses like that then it would have been great hehe but, very glad to know this now.

I will make sure if I get a chin to always keep them seperate. Thank you so much guys. hug2

Lol Sniper, I'm having cute thoughts now too!!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL