GliderCENTRAL

Holding them all day - ok or bad?

Posted By: TxSuggies

Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/28/12 09:56 PM

Is it bad for them to be held all day, or most of the day in a pouch or your bra? As long as you have a cage or travel carrier for them to go to if they get tired of sleeping in there?

I say I don't think so but my hubby says he thinks it is... dunno
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/28/12 10:06 PM

I have my own feelings on this. I don't carry my monkeys around with me all day. They sleep in their cage when they first crawl in in the morning after their mealies and they don't come out until later afternoon, at the earliest. Some will say it's fine to keep them out all day and that they do. I don't believe they get the best sleep possible if you have them with you all day. JMO.

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/28/12 10:20 PM

That is what he says Aimee; that they can't sleep well if they are being jostled around all the time. Which I can see and relate to.

I also see where, like you say, people say they keep them with them all the time....so I just figured that it must be ok. But I guess if lots of others threw their gliders off a cliff I wouldn't do that either. blush
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/28/12 11:03 PM

I think it depends on the glider. Some may like to be "carried" so much they sleep better. Others may not like it as much and sleep better in their cages.

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/28/12 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
I think it depends on the glider. Some may like to be "carried" so much they sleep better. Others may not like it as much and sleep better in their cages.

Jill Marie is right...and in fact, I should have probably added this to my post above because it's true. My Teeka, if given the choice, would be on me at all times. And when she is, she is absolutely dead asleep, no matter WHAT I do. The rest of them, not so much. So while I still feel that they get their best sleep undisturbed in their cage, there are always exceptions to my "rule".
Posted By: etrnalsunshinee

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/28/12 11:39 PM

I would never carry one all day out unless I had an exception like Aimee's Teeka, but if I'm laying around the house on my day off I only really put them away if I'm cleaning or jostling them too much as to where they can't stay asleep
Posted By: MamaBird

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/28/12 11:53 PM

I think it depends on what you're doing and your gliders. Riddick sleeps GREAT on me, better than in the cage. Baby, not so much. So, sometimes I'll carry Riddick for quite a few hours, but add Baby only when its getting closer to tent time so if she wakes up we can play.
Posted By: StowawayGliders

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 12:34 AM

I carry one for a few hours then the other for a few hours, they both love being with me but I agree with aimee and want to let them get some good rest in. plus I do tent time in the morning so when they are done playing they crawl into my shirt.

Mine are still in quarantine, so when they are together I will probably have both with me for a few hours.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 12:39 AM

The ones I carry all the time actually sleep harder on me than they do in their cage pouches.

It is like they know I am there to protect them so they don't have to be on guard for predators.

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 12:55 AM

Well, aside from Teeka - apparently I have fidgeters LOL
Posted By: Hikari

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 01:07 AM

When I am doing my reading I usually have Mal on me. He doesn't seem to mind at all. The only time he didn't like sleeping with me was when I was listening to a lecture for history he started fidgeting and crabbing. I guess history isn't his favorite subject LOL!
Posted By: tefi143

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 01:59 AM

I agree that it depends on the glider.

I have one that also sleeps on me no matter what I do. My smallest, I noticed, is glider a light sleeper. She will crab if you walk by her cage and disturb her sleep. I dont see her being a bra baby what so ever but shes still my sweet little girl smile
Posted By: SugarGliderLove

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 02:55 AM

I have a few gliders that will sleep all day in the bonding pouch with me. My glider Stimpy will sleep in my bra for hours on end without waking up. I will give him some treats and water and he will go back to sleep. I think it depends on the glider and what you would be doing while you have them on you.
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 12:28 PM

I used to take mine with me to work almost every day. I don't do it any more because I felt that I was disturbing their sleep. Between getting up 100 times during the day, going out to appointments, and loud people in and out of my office, I felt it wasn't good for them.

However, if I'm home relaxing, watching a movie, etc; then they're on me.

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 04:27 PM

Ya, I guess it really just depends on a lot of different factors. One of my boys likes to be on me and sleep - the other is really fidgety and moves around a lot and is up and down.

Would it be ok to have one on me and leave one to sleep alone in the cage? I'd hate to upset the one left behind; but in the past he's just curled up in a pouch and seemed fine.
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 05:32 PM

I, personally, think it's best to keep them together, either way you decide....JMO.
Posted By: Dwiizie

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 05:42 PM

My babies sleep through ANYTHING, for HOURS. They go in the pouch, fidget for a minute to get comfy, then they're out like a light. I clean, vacuum, laundry, wash dishes, go out for drives, whatever. They are fast asleep from about 7 am to about 8 PM, then its fun/sleep/eat/fun etc throughout the night. I have 4 of them, I don't like to leave one "home alone" so they almost always go together. Or I'll let one go back to the cage, and just wait 5 minutes, because they'll be wanting back in the pouch lol. Like dogs and potty breaks. I do ALWAYS have a collapsible travel cage in my car should someone really wanna be off and alone, but I still have never had to use it for that. So thats my 2 cents on this, and the gliders seem very happy. I might note, I keep them in a sling style pouch JillMarie made. They do NOT sleep well in a plain windowed square pouch, they hate swinging around in any way, and they don't like windows. They have yet to crab in public. EVER. Maybe a sneeze or a cht now and then.

Whatever you decide, if someone wants OUT, let them OUT, don't force them. Good luck!
Posted By: zwulfke

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 05:59 PM

i keep hearing about the sling pouch where can I get one and how many fuzzbutts can you fit in one
Posted By: tefi143

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/29/12 05:59 PM

I had my worries about bringing one and leaving one behind

Tinker is used to being with me all day and belita is still a baby. I've had Belita for two months but I have had Tinker 6 months.

I left Tinker at home with Belita the first couple of days. I would rush home after work to see her and she would jump in my shirt and cuddle up..She would give me saddest look on earth...

I figured it would be different if they were both used to being with me but I randomly started leaving one behind...So I felt stuck! Plus im a sucker for the "sad eyes".

I bring Tinker with me on days that I know I will be alone in the office. Days that I have meetings I do not bring her. Nor do I bring her on days when she is wide awake in the morning before I leave. I sit in front of a computer all day nothing too exciting goes on that would distrub tinker LOL on the contrary, when i look at her all comfy it makes me want to take a nap

:lshower:
Posted By: EJB17

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/30/12 12:05 AM

I think it really does depend on the glider. If I bring my pair with me one will crab at anything that wakes her and if that wakes my boy he will then pull a the sides and corners of the pouch - I only bring them if I know I won't be doing any jostling and I won't be in a place that wouldn't tolerate crabbing, lol!

My newest little girl I have had on me all day every day since I've had her - she sleeps so soundly that at one point when I wanted to show my friend I had to pet her for like 30 seconds to wake her up! I almost thought she was dead. But no, just as sound of a sleeper as I am :rofl2:
Posted By: kelii

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/30/12 05:00 PM

I leave mine in the cage until 1 in the afternoon so they can get some good sleep, then put them in the pouch for bonding. They're so used to it now that they barely even notice the move.

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/30/12 05:49 PM

I found her web site and orderd a pouch can not wait to get it smile i like how big they are look more comfy

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/30/12 06:50 PM

zwulfke - could you pm me that website pretty please?

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/30/12 11:40 PM

http://www.handmadejewelry4jesus.com
if any one is looking for the sling pouch mentiond
Posted By: Helen88uk

Re: Holding them all day - ok or bad? - 03/31/12 03:28 AM

I think the reason for getting a pair of gliders is that they can keep eachother company in ways that we cant. Sleeping in the pouch together, grooming etc.... By just taking the one glider with you all day you are kinda defeating the object x
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL