GliderCENTRAL

Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm

Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/14/07 08:18 PM

Ok - you know the saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"? Well, the same goes for meal worms, too!

I have a budding farm. It is doing really really well. I have been putting all the bedding from the "Beetle Tub" into one tub - and I see many sizes of little worms. The beetles really seem to be laying alot of eggs - because I have dozens of little mealies!

Thank HEAVENS I started sorting out the babies! When they get about a quarter of an inch long - easily visible and I can pick 'em up - I put them in a different tub. A sort of "Nursury Tub" - different from the "Hatching Tub".

Well, this morning, I discovered that something in the Nursury Tub mildewed! So I have to throw the whole thing away. I'm so upset! I feel like I have to start completely all over again! I'm REALLY relieved that I have ALOT of beetles -- all doin' their thing, and that I still have the "Hatching Tub" - with quite a few baby worms and eggs in there, unaffected by the mildew.

So - from now on, I'm going to have at least 2 of every one of my tubs going. I'll only have the one "worms to feed the gliders" tub - because I have backups of those in the fridge. And when those turn into Aliens, I have 1 "Alien Tub", because I don't give the Aliens food, so nothing to mildew. But now I'm going to have 2 active "Beetle Tubs", 2 active "Hatching Tubs" and 2 active "Nursury Tubs". That way, if I dumbly let something mildew, I won't loose everything and have to start from scratch!

Learn from my mistake!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/14/07 08:24 PM

awww. i'm sorry. that really stinks!!!
Posted By: kristenfl

Re: Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/14/07 08:40 PM

The SAME thing happen to us when we started our mealie farm! We learned the hard way and had to start alllllll over... NOW we have three different tubs smile. I am always in and out of them to make sure they are all doing well.

Re: Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/14/07 09:48 PM

I've learned a long time ago you have to separate things...because another reason is, if you don't the beetles will start eating the eggs and young worms. So you won't get anywhere lol. I check on mine about 3 or 4 times a day to make sure everything is cool in there...give them water if they need it, clean fresh food every day or every other day depending on what I gave them and how fast they eat it or how likely it is to go bad....and yeah, all that jazz. It's a learning process, everything is. We have to make mistakes to learn how to do it right I think. wink
I'm sorry you lost everything!! That stinks!! (no pun intended wink )

Re: Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/14/07 10:46 PM

WOW!! Sounds like having your own mealie farm is as much work as another pet! I think I'll contiune to just order mine from Grubco....Plus I hate touching thoes darn'd things!

Re: Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/14/07 11:15 PM

What do you think made your farm get moldy? I have a very successful worm farm and have never had any trouble. All I ever put in there is baby carrots every other day. My bedding is real Oats and dry baby oatmeal. I do have 3 drawers - one for beetles, one for mealies and one for pupae.

I wrote an article on meal worm farming and you can read it on SugarGlider.com - under the link "gliderpedia".

It's not really difficult or time consuming. Just my experience! And my girls love their "home grown" mealies!!!
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/15/07 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Rita
What do you think made your farm get moldy?

Over the winter, I was putting apple slices in there. And they would sort of petrify within a day, because the heater in the glider room made the room so dry and warm.

However, now I can't do that. The apple slices mildew. Also, over the winter, the worms wouldn't touch carrots. I think because they dried out TOO fast. So, now I've switched to carrots and everything seems fine for now.

Having a Mealie Farm isn't such hard work - I guess it is sort of like another pet - but a really low maintenance one! It amuses me, and I'm waiting for the day I can feed my babies home-grown mealies! Don't know if it would be any nutricional difference. In fact, I'm sure there is no difference. But if I can really get the worm farm kicking out worms, it would save me about $20 a month or so ...

Re: Learn from My Mistake: Worm Farm - 04/15/07 12:18 AM

I'm certain you are right about there not being any nutritional difference!!! I just really like knowing where they are coming from, what they are being fed and kept in, etc. Sounds crazy - but I don't see the home grown mealies as "yucky,dirty worms"!!! tounge
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL