GliderCENTRAL

Odd biting behavior

Posted By: Anonymous

Odd biting behavior - 11/25/08 08:14 PM

I have a 3 year old male. Un-neutered. He's always been a snuggler and very sweet. He suddenly has started mounting my hand (nothing sexual) and nibbling very hard on a certain spot between my thumb and forefinger. He gets really really mad when I try to get him off of my hand. He's bit me really hard, he crabs and clings onto my hand with all four feet. He jumps around on my hand to get the perfect bite. This has been going on for over a week now. Have I made him mad? I haven't changed any smells/lotions, etc. I don't understand his actions? Anyone have any ideas?
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/25/08 08:18 PM

Sounds like he is trying to mate. They do grab on (bite) the back of the neck of the female and jump around to get in the right "position". Does he have a "friend"?

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/25/08 08:54 PM

Unfortunately he does not have a mate. He's a single glider who seems happy, eats well, plays and snuggles. This just started happening when the full moon came out. I thought it was a mating thing too but was not sure. How long will this last?
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/25/08 09:27 PM

Males will mate any time. The females are only actually in heat for about 3 days every month, and are usually only receptive at that time. He must be in love with you! mlove Maybe you should think about getting him neutered and add a friend to the family.

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/26/08 03:47 PM

Yes I'm in love with him too. If I could help him, I probably would LOL. Thanks for your help. heart
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/26/08 06:37 PM

I'm sorry but the idea of a glider trying to mate with someone's hand made me laugh! In all my years of having gliders, got to say I've never seen any of mine try to mate my hand.

I have had gliders that will try to bite on to my arm and then do the "bootie" dance where they are marking me like crazy but that is not the same as trying to "mate" with me. They are just claiming me as theirs.

First off, if there is a behavior (in this case, biting a certain spot on you) you don't want him to do, then simply don't give him the chance to do it. Keep him distracted with something else. I have some that like to groom my cuticules. I don't let them get to the ends of my fingers. Some like to think my toes are giant mealies so I wear socks when playing with them.

All gliders have little "quirks". Each as different as the glider themselves. Some are cute and adorable, some much less desirable. While you can't punish them for the undesirables, you can reward them for the cute and adorable things. Conditioning and response.
Posted By: Judie

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/26/08 08:08 PM

I suggest a trip to the local vet for the snip.

Neutering for this Big Bad Boy is suggested to reduce his overly ambitious behavior.

Also, since you know he is looking for that perfect spot... do not let him start the process of continuing till he bites you.

While his habit may be cute... the horrible territorial bite which usually follows in time... is not.

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/26/08 10:44 PM

My little guy dose that to me to!! iv have wondered what he was doing.

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/27/08 12:30 AM

My boy likes to bite me on my knees while I have him out almost every time. It does not matter that he has 2 female companions
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Odd biting behavior - 11/28/08 05:03 AM

I was thinking the same thing, with the mating. I was thinking more along the lines of marking, which means he loves you! He's claiming you as his! mlove
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL