GliderCENTRAL

Extremely shiny coat?

Posted By: ihana1894

Extremely shiny coat? - 01/04/12 05:24 AM

I realized tonight that madisons coat was unusually shiny. It almost looked silver and glistened In the light and it wasn't like this yesterday. The only difference between last night and tonight is that she went into heat tonight. Her fur has never felt so soft or shined so much. I will get a picture of her tomorrow. Has anyone else had this change when there girl went into heat? It isn't a bad thing, is it?
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 07:07 AM

Have you made a recent diet switch or anything like that? I don't see why this would be a concern, but I also don't think that her going into heat triggered this. At least I've never experienced it. Do you maybe have before and after pictures you could post? :O)

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 11:43 AM

I'll try and get some. I didn't change her diet until lastnight from bml to how. But that was last night and this happened two days ago. It looks like someone painted her with silver paint and glitter lol well that's a little exaggerated but she looks beautiful. I just can't figure out how it happened in one night
Posted By: SecretSquirrel

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 03:10 PM

Could it be a pregnancy glow? I don't really know anything to go with this or if Gliders get this, just know about it in people (I call it the tidy-bowl glow).

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 04:44 PM

I have no idea what it is. she is healthy, she is just really shiny. She does have 1 in pouch but he/she has been in pouch for a few weeks now, so it isnt a new change. I will get a picture of her as soon as i get home. I just put her back with Gizmo because she is no longer in heat. so i will get a picture of the difference between the two.
Posted By: ColonyMama

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 06:05 PM

How can you tell that she is in heat? I can't tell that, man I wish I could, maybe I could stop her for a while.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 07:09 PM

Maybe she got sprinkled by Pixie dust?
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 07:52 PM

I thought wow, she shines and we get break outs and mood swings. LOL
Posted By: Taryn

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Maybe she got sprinkled by Pixie dust?

Hehehehehe

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ColonyMama
How can you tell that she is in heat? I can't tell that, man I wish I could, maybe I could stop her for a while.

Her mate will start taking more interest in her. And the noises between the two change.

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 08:44 PM

lol yea, maybe. Gizmo's coat still hasn't changed like hers. Got the pictures, first one is before and the second is after. Its more toward her hind region, and her fur is cracked looking from the way she is sitting. but the light color line that goes around her legs is what I'm looking at.
I didn't really have any before pictures of her butt, because that's not usually what I'm photographing lol. But these were the best I could find.

Attached picture DSC_1438 (530x800).jpg
Attached picture DSC_1441 (530x800).jpg
Attached picture DSC_1569 (800x530).jpg
Attached picture DSC_1570 (800x530).jpg
Attached picture DSC_1571 (800x530).jpg
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 09:24 PM

It almost looks to me as if your gliders have a bit of staining going on and that she's losing the brown and turning grey. dunno

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 09:45 PM

I think Aimee is right. I think she is (or should be) a grey glider but has some staining. Maybe Gizmo is/was marking her like crazy? You said you just put them back together?

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 10:07 PM

Gizmo has a lot of staining which is why I am changing there diet to see if it helps. Because he is stained so much, it rubs off on her. Thing is, even when she wasn't with gizmo and had nice grey fur, she had never been so shiny.

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 10:28 PM

Staining does not rub off on other gliders. What diet are you currently feeding? If she had grey fur before and it's now brown, it's likely her current diet and changing is a good idea.

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/05/12 11:16 PM

Quote:
Staining does not rub off on other gliders.

umm, Scent staining can. Diet staining does not.

Scent staining causes external staining of the fur. From the outside of the hair in. Diet staining causes internal staining, from the inside of the hair out.

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/06/12 05:39 AM

You're right. But Gizmo would be the one marking more than any other. So something has to be causing the staining - poor hygiene? Not cleaning pouches often enough? Diet? If it's the former two, then yes, it's possible that his staining can transfer some to her, but looking at how the coloring is changing, from the inside out, this really looks to be diet staining to me. dunno

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/06/12 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
Staining does not rub off on other gliders. What diet are you currently feeding? If she had grey fur before and it's now brown, it's likely her current diet and changing is a good idea.

They have been on the bml diet and i have just switched to the hpw diet. madison was two years and had never had staining until gizmo was introduced to her. Gizmo now has so much staining on his chest that it most definitly has rubbed onto her. But I am trying everything to help with his staining and if the new diet doesnt work than he will be nuetered.

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/06/12 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
You're right. But Gizmo would be the one marking more than any other. So something has to be causing the staining - poor hygiene? Not cleaning pouches often enough? Diet? If it's the former two, then yes, it's possible that his staining can transfer some to her, but looking at how the coloring is changing, from the inside out, this really looks to be diet staining to me. dunno

I have been keeping there cage as clean as possible for over a year now since his stain started showing. He only started having this staining when we moved into our new home, which I found odd. So I have concluded that it is definitly there diet If the HPW does clear the staining I will let you know. How long do you think it will take?

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/06/12 05:50 PM

Sounds like it's a little of both, would be my guess. If his chest is a good bit stained, then he's probably marking like crazy and yes, also marking her, which will add to her staining.

If your little guy is intact, he'll continue to mark and much of that staining won't go away unless you have him neutered. If there is diet staining, it will take a while, but you may even see some improvement even after a couple of weeks.
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Extremely shiny coat? - 01/06/12 05:59 PM

Poor Serendipity is badly stained because Kanani marks her like crazy.

When I get stained rescues in, it usually takes about six to nine months for their fur to turn gray.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL