GliderCENTRAL

are all mosaics from leu lines??

Posted By: sweetheart26

are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 04:14 AM

i was wondering if all mosaics come from leu lines...was the first mosaic found in the wild, and they come upon it?? i would like to pair my lau glider with a mosaic but i didnt know if they all come from leu lines..
Posted By: Lynsie

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 04:15 AM

No, they don't all come from leu lines.

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 04:20 AM

so who had the first mosaic glider born??
Posted By: Lynsie

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 04:37 AM

I'm not sure. Maybe Hellen Moreno???
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 05:02 AM

No, but alot of the mosaics nowadays do have leu in them because there's a theory that mixing the mosaic and leu lines will increase the chances of a mosaic having more white or of getting a white mosaic.

In fact, aren't Gannon and Stacie's white mosaic from leu lines? I can't remember. tounge
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 07:20 AM

Nicole, yes, both Gannon and Stacie's white mosaics are indeed from leucistic lines. But, there are several white mosaic gliders out there that have no leu in their pedigrees at all. It seems to just be luck of the draw...
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Leyna
Nicole, yes, both Gannon and Stacie's white mosaics are indeed from leucistic lines. But, there are several white mosaic gliders out there that have no leu in their pedigrees at all. It seems to just be luck of the draw...

I figured, lol. That's why I said it was a theory, just in case it was wrong. tounge

It would be neat to do a study on it though and to track all the results of a mosaic and non-leu breeding, mosaic and leu or leu het, and a mosaic/leu het and leu/leu het. Just to see what the stats are. wink My boy is a 50% leu het and his mate is a WFB/100% leu het. Most of the gliders from his line(Mac and Cheese) have very little white on them, so I'm curious to see if breeding him with another leu het will have an effect on how much white the babies will show. wink
Posted By: pebbles1975

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 09:26 AM

The Mosaic that I own now does not have Leu in her background. I am planning on pairing her with a Leu Het though b/c I have heard the same that the Leu Hets will increase the chances for having more white in the babies.
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 02:15 PM

I have my platinum mosaic (my avatar) with my Leu, I think it will be interesting to see what color babies come out!

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 02:42 PM

well maybe i should do a study on mosaic lines ...
Posted By: Dancing

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 03:09 PM

Just please be very careful that you are not introducing the sterile mosaic lines into the leu lines. That will undo what many breeders have been trying to accomplish over the years of careful breeding.

When you put a mosaic with a leu or leu het, the joeys will be either mosaic or leu hets (can't get a leu out of that combo unless the mosaic is also a leu het). If the joey is a grey/leu het but the mosaic is from a sterile line, you now have created the potential of contaminating the leu future population. Did that make sense???
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 03:22 PM

Thanks, Teresa. Good points!

Also - when you have a mosaic/leu het who then produces a white baby, you have quite possibly produced a Leu/MOSAIC het! Just as Leus can be WF hets, because they might be WF, you just don't know because they are all white. A Leu with mosaic background could also be a mosaic, underneath the white.

Stacie has just this delimma right now with one of her joeys. He is priced and being sold as a Leu, with a "Mosaic contract" - because, obviously if he produces Mosaic babies, he should be more expensive.

It is really a question!
Posted By: gliderboy4life

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 03:34 PM

Just wanted to clarify ALden, It would be called leu/ poss. mosaic or leu poss. WFB because it will either have it or it wont. No hets for those!
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 03:42 PM

Tyler -

I've seen it referred to as "Het" because -- yes, it will have it or it won't, but if it is a Leu, the WF won't be seen. So, possibly a Leu can be a mosaic also, or a WF also -- but in a Leu, those characteristics are not shown.

So - many times a Leu is referred to as a WF het, or, as you mention, a "possible WF". I was just mentioning that now, Leus can also be "Mosaic Hets" or, in other words, "Possible Mosaics".
Posted By: Dancing

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 03:44 PM

Tyler is right on that.

Very fun and interesting though. Buy a little leu baby and wait anxiously for it to grow up and have little leu babies of it's own to be surprised by a little mosaic baby popping out instead of a leu! Which would make it a mosaic/leu het!

FUN!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 03:53 PM

Am I the only one whose head spins every time talk of colors comes up???? I get confused so easily. I don't really know one from the other in most cases, just know when I think one is beautiful! My hat is off to all of you who know all this........you leave me in the dirt! lol
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 04:18 PM

Lol. I agree Pappy1264. But I would like to learn a bit more about the glider genealogy and all of the colors and how they came about, does anyone have a good refrence?
Posted By: Sabrina

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 05:43 PM

I'm confused. Can I just say that I think the white ones are really cute and leave it at that? roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: are all mosaics from leu lines?? - 06/27/08 06:40 PM

Lol UR funny. When I got my first gliders these colors didn't even exist! I understand it all but I have been following the discoveries in sugar glider genetics for a long time. There was the white, grey and "wild caught" I remember it was originally thought that ALL gliders in captivity are born grey. Sure have come a long way. I think that the mosaic gene is fascinating, I really want to breed mosaics in the future.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL