GliderCENTRAL

Why do gliders chew?

Posted By: Anonymous

Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 05:02 AM

I know some people have some major chewers, and others never have a problem. I've put together my own theories as to why, and would love to hear the opinions and experiences of others!

1. Joeys. I think joeys chew like babies. They just like to test things with their mouths. It's what I've seen in my younger gliders, now that they've hit 6 mos, they don't give two hoots what it is unless it's food.

2. Stress. This could be a smaller cage, or too close to neighboring gliders, or in some cases, too big of a cage. I have actually seen gliders that want their own happy-medium of a cage and don't want a huge one. Conversely, I've seen gliders come undone in travel cages and rip into anything they can find to try and get out or away from a neighboring cage.

3. Boredom. Sometimes, I think gliders just want to find something new to DO.

4. Naturally. My older gliders are not chewers, but do dig and chew at wood items in their cage - no plastics. I haven't given my younger cage any wood yet, but expect them to chew on wood too.

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 06:51 AM

I agree with all of your theories. I have a few chewers, and they chew even MORE than 'normal' (normal for them anyway) when I haven't changed things up in the cage in a couple days.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 08:34 AM

add:
5. to make nesting material from tiny bits of plastic

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 08:00 PM

Oh no is that what Arwen does with her toys JM? Little booger LOL.
Posted By: heidi

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 08:28 PM

i dont know why they chew but my chewers love eucky sticks and baby carrots
Posted By: SGQ

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 09:51 PM

Chewers are something else lol~

Zinger is a chewer. With him... well he gets a bit overzealous with everything whether it be eating, running like a crazed suggie on the wheel, "talking" (I've mentioned the constant chittering lol), grooming (which means half my finger gets scraped off before he's done, and chewing..

Chewing for him has to be his over excitement to explore and play.. he's very hyper!

But here's a new one: he strips fleece and spits out little bits of it into the pouches and cube.. my vet said its nesting~ some nest in different ways (dragging all their toys to the pouch for example) but him.. he strips fleece lol!
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: lovely1inred

Only certain types of plastic. She will bring them to her pouch and just chew them up till its just tiny bits of plastic.

She will also attack the army men and chew their heads off.

She does chew the rubber duckies, but not very much, she likes the harder plastic not the softer stuff.

She chews the plastic on her stealth wheel too. But not much. She really loves these plastic bracelets, and certain types of milk rings.

She doesnt do it from boredom, as she does it while playing in her room. She also doesnt have any dental issues. I think she just likes plastic.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
Originally Posted By: lovely1inred

Only certain types of plastic. She will bring them to her pouch and just chew them up till its just tiny bits of plastic.

She will also attack the army men and chew their heads off.

She does chew the rubber duckies, but not very much, she likes the harder plastic not the softer stuff.

She chews the plastic on her stealth wheel too. But not much. She really loves these plastic bracelets, and certain types of milk rings.

She doesnt do it from boredom, as she does it while playing in her room. She also doesnt have any dental issues. I think she just likes plastic.

I agree, JM. My monkeys don't ever chew on their wheels. But, they do chew on their monkeys (from the barrel), army men and the little plastic pacifiers hanging in the cage. I also have some rubber monkeys that are hanging from a toy and they no longer have butts or eyes.... roflmao Bug and Bandit are the culprits. However, their travel cage is their Genji tent and they have no interest in chewing it. Only their toys.
Posted By: aaronandamanda

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 11:02 PM

Tink will only chew on the milk rings and the stems of the artificial leaves in her cage. She will chew until a bundle of leaves come off the vine and then she will line her pouch with them! smile. The milk rings ... She chews on them like she's eating corn on the cob .. With both hands on either side of her face and her mouth moving right to left on the ring! It's hilarious!
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Why do gliders chew? - 04/12/11 11:38 PM

I think chewing might even feel good to them. dunno
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL