GliderCENTRAL

Glider Behaviors?

Posted By: GliderNursery

Glider Behaviors? - 03/01/13 03:49 AM

What are some of the different behaviors you see in your gliders? What do you think they mean? Put some thought into it and share your experiences.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/01/13 01:17 PM

Come on folks, join in!! 18 views and no replies?
This could be very interesting and a great learning tool.

One of my favorites is with my male gliders when they are dads...

When I have joeys in with parents and the joeys are just learning to venture out of the cage pouch, many times the dad will be at the other side of the cage. A couple of barks from dad and the joeys go back in pouch. A different set of barks or a hiss and joeys will come out of pouch.

A behavior I really enjoy watching with my gliders. It has shown me over the years just how much the joeys do learn from dad.
Posted By: finnessa

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/01/13 02:08 PM

I have a set of gliders that are the opposite of Peggy's. They are Male/female that bark back and forth to each other. The barking is a single bark echoed back and forth. It's literally an echo, if hers is loud, his is loud, if hers is soft, his is soft. It is always started by her and finished by her and can go on for minutes or hours. I used to think it was them being paranoid and alert. I have come to realize over the years having them that it is just their way of communicating.

This same pairing, when they used to have joeys daddy was protective of both mom and joey. He wasn't aggressive but would literally stand over them guarding them from being touched. He'd hover over mom while the joeys were ip and then once they came oop he'd hover over the babies. I think he thought the crazy lady was going to steal the babies so he'd try to keep me from them.
Posted By: 416

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/01/13 10:01 PM

When my two are in their pouch sleeping and I take them out I will pet the male first because hes usually on the top and when I got to pet her he will hurry over and get on top of her so I can't get to her. I think he's thinking if I can't get to her my only option is to keep rubbing him! lol
Posted By: louissa

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/01/13 10:35 PM

I think one of my favorite behaviors is from my pet girl Sugar. Her cage overlooks my bedroom and my bed and if I don't follow my routine exactly on time, or if she's just feeling like extra attention at 4am, she'll sit in her cage and bark until I talk to her.

Once I start talking, she immediately stops and jumps up to look at me and then happily goes about her merry way playing but I have to acknowledge her first!
Posted By: josefine

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/02/13 12:49 AM

What I enjoy most,is how our little ones look around all over the place whenever we have them out of their room.
It is just as a new infant seeing & learning everything for the 1st time.
It just melts my heart.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/02/13 04:07 AM

I love it when they pop (purr) while they are in the bonding pouch.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/03/13 03:21 AM

Come on folks, share your stories and experiences!
Posted By: Hilloh

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/03/13 10:28 AM

Watching them play and have so much curiousity is probably one of my favorite things in the world!

One of the things that cracks me up about Gracie is how she will talk to my chihuahua. He sits at her cage, just watching her, head cocked to the side. And Gracie will chirp at him! If he whines, she just does it even more!
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/03/13 12:17 PM

Baby animals learn what is good to eat by watching their parents, or their parents bringing them food, regurgitating for them, etc, depending on the species of animal.

Baby gliders are no different. When I had joeys in the house I got a kick out of watching them take bits of food right from mommy and daddy's mouths while they were eating. Mom and dad would be chewing away and the babes would be sticking their tongues in mom and dad's mouth. I would worry their tongues would get bit!

So now that the groundwork has been laid...

Arwen is over 4 years old. Certainly not a joey! LOL
One day I decide to give her a piece of a new cereal I was eating. She is sleeping on my chest, and I say "Arwen" she looks up like "oh you are eating?"

I give her the piece of cereal, but she sniffs it and literally turns her nose up, and away, with that look like "really you gave me THAT?"

So I take a bite as she watches...then she sniffs my mouth, then sniffs the cereal, THEN she takes it and eats it.

REALLY!

SO glad I didnt have to do that with mealworms to get her to eat them.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/03/13 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
SO glad I didnt have to do that with mealworms to get her to eat them.

:rofl2:
Posted By: Terry

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/03/13 05:17 PM

One behavior with my Lulu is she crabs when her slumber is disturbed, I know she saying "go away, leave me alone mom".

A lot of their personality shows during out of cage play, we still have a ways to go with complete bonding, mostly due to the fact I should spend more time with them both daytime (pouch time) and out of cage play. But their behaviors in playtime are as follows:

Both will spend the first few minutes on my neck grooming me, Skadoosh will be the first to venture, while Lulu will continue to groom, until.... She starts watching Skadoosh and what she is climbing or getting in to. Then she will usually head that direction. She is not usually as daring as Skadoosh and will be much more "watchful" and stay closer to me or return to me more frequently. Which this surprises me in Lulu, for she is the one that seems most fearful of me when I approach the cage, unless she really wants out.

I don't know if this describes behavior or personality more, but that's all I got.

Oh, they both love food!
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/03/13 11:35 PM

There is only ONE time my 2 girls wake up during the day. ONE.

when I am cooking pasta.

this afternoon I am cooking pasta, I go into the living room and both girls are up, noses in the air sniffing away.
"why are you girls up so early"

oh yeah, DUH! I am cooking pasta.

little snots.
Posted By: StowawayGliders

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/06/13 06:38 PM

I love when the bonding process finally pays off...

My Halle and Tadem were very skittish when I first got them and after months of slow bonding, carrying them in a bonding purse, bathroom time and tent time. This last tent time was in my living room and my husband was watching tv, a noise must have scared them and the ran to me for safety. Such an awesome feeling mlove
Posted By: IndieAndStella

Re: Glider Behaviors? - 03/07/13 10:29 PM

So funny, Jillmarie!

One of my favorite behaviors of my little Indie stems from when I first got her as a joey. She jumped off of me and went exploring under the tv stand, but when she turned around and realized she couldnt see me anymore she started barking for her mom. As soon as I bent down she hopped right to me and up my arm. We werent really bonded at the time, so I felt like this was a good start.

Now, whenever we are in the glider room, if I stand up and move around, no matter where Indie is or what shes doing she will stop, stare at me to see if Im leaving, and if i make a move during that staredown, she runs/jumps/hops right over to my leg and up my body to my shoulder. She STILL doesnt like to let me out of her sight!

Stella used to be the more timid one, but since theyve become more comfortable in the glider room, shes really been trying her hand at gliding! She will start at the bottom of the spare cage, climb half way up and jump. Then run back up and do the same from 3/4 of the way up. So far, she gets to almost the top and just stares down. She hasnt gotten the courage up yet, but I love that shes trying!

My other favorite is how they both pull open the neck of whatever Im wearing to divebomb into my shirt and groom me :0) whenever anyone tells me that they dont understand my pets and ask if they "know" me - I tell them that story
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL