GliderCENTRAL

Male still chasing my girl around.

Posted By: Anonymous

Male still chasing my girl around. - 06/05/08 03:21 PM

Ugh, I don't know what to do. My pair had a joey come OOP a couple weeks ago, then Mishka rejected the baby and the baby died when I was trying to handfeed. While she was rejecting the joey Crichton started chasing her into the sleeping pouch, I presume to go back to the baby she was abandoning, because he was very upset and cried for the baby for several nights. He chatters at her, then hisses, then when she doesn't go into the pouch he chases her and there's this awful crab-squeak argument before she goes in the pouch. They aren't balling up or anything, but they've never fought at all before this and it's very upsetting.

I thought it might have been mating, but they mated right on schedule ten days after the baby came OOP and that was the only night they DIDN'T fight. Crichton's still chasing her into the sleeping pouch several times a night and it's been over a week since mating. He doesn't go in with her, just chases her in and goes back to his playing. They get along fine the rest of the time and they don't fight when they're both in the pouch.

I'm not sure why Crichton's doing this, it started when they were losing the baby and I don't know what to do about it continuing this long. I'm afraid he's stressing Mishka out and I'm starting to wonder if I should try separating them for a while to give her a break. Any advice? I'm at a loss and I feel so bad for my babies.

Edited to add:
Neither of them are hurt in any way, there's no physical confrontation going on at all. Just horrible-sounding arguing followed by Mishka disappearing into the sleeping pouch. And I think they're both upset about losing the baby. Mishka was singing to me last night the same way she'd sung to the baby, she's never done that before.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Male still chasing my girl around. - 06/05/08 05:04 PM

I think as long as there is no balling up or injuries occurring, to just let them work it out. I know it sounds awful (I have one that has a fit if her mate brings his beloved leaves into the pouch and she goes ballistic on him!) hug2

Re: Male still chasing my girl around. - 06/05/08 06:46 PM

I hope they get over it, they do sound horrendous. I'm up half the night watching to make sure they don't escalate from bickering into actual fighting. They've always been the sweetest little lovey-dovey pair and this is making me really sad.

Mishka does that, she brings her plastic rings into the sleeping pouch and curls up right in them to sleep while Crichton sits in the other end of the pouch looking disgruntled. roflmao
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Male still chasing my girl around. - 06/05/08 08:12 PM

Do they have more than one pouch available to sleep in? Since they don't have joeys OOP right now, maybe one of them just needs a place to get away dunno

Re: Male still chasing my girl around. - 06/05/08 08:17 PM

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that! I'm adding a second pouch and some spare blankies now.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL