GliderCENTRAL

Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders?

Posted By: JillMarie

Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/20/11 09:33 PM

I will be posting this question on a couple other forums as well. I have a few people interested in this situation. I personally have never heard of Hermaphrodites occurring in any other species other than humankind. But in the 3 years I have been acquainted with sugar gliders have heard of it perhaps 4 times.

I am asking for anyone that has had this phenomenon in any of their sugar gliders to share the following information:
1. age of the glider when you discovered this trait
2. age of the gliders parents when the hermaphrodite glider was born
3. physical characteristics such as complete or partially formed pouch, scrotum, fully or partially formed penis
4. was the glider allowed to mate? was it functional? was it fertile?
5. did the glider have any other health issues?
6. since this may or may not be a genetic thing, color/breeding lines of the glider (possibility of inbreeding)

thanks smile
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/20/11 09:38 PM

I know of two people on this forum - well, now 3 - and one person on Glider Gossip who have had proven hermaphrodite gliders.

I have never been able to determine if those gliders were related or not!
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/20/11 10:09 PM

2 weeks old
One was two the other a year and a half
3. physical characteristics such as complete or partially formed pouch, scrotum, fully or partially formed penis
Fully formed pouch and a penis
Serinity died as a joey but most likely not genetic related the parents had a long history of rejecting until the male was neutered.
Rejected joey issues.
6. since this may or may not be a genetic thing, color/breeding lines of the glider (possibility of inbreeding)
she was a WT, joey to a WT and a WF her genetics can be found under her siblings names .. Try Badger parents Constanze and Mozart
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/20/11 10:19 PM

This is very interesting...
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/20/11 10:25 PM

I have no idea if Serenity has genetic issues I would have thought so because when I lost Serenity she had been doing great then one day went downhill fast with seizures and diarrhea; her parents had lost 4 of their 5 joeys born to them so far (a set of twins then triplets). The one who had survived and is still alive was handraised by me. After the loss of the triplets I neutered dad but it wasn't fast enough as the parents had already dropped joeys ip. These babies were OOP probably 8 weeks after dad had been neutered and I think this is why they survived. Standing back from the whole situation I feel like dad was trying to re breed and pulling the joeys. I of course can not know this 100% but the last set of joeys there wasn't a single problem all 3 surviving joeys are still alive and healthy one is a breeding glider as well.

** just a little history smile

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/20/11 10:31 PM

Thanks Lauren for sharing hug2

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/20/11 10:45 PM

By the way, pictures would be welcomed
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/21/11 01:09 AM

About 2-3 yrs old

don't know. She was originally purchased from a breeder I'm not in contact with (Chey in Wichita KS) by a 17 yr old boy and then came to live with me.

She was a fully functioning girl. But also had a full normal looking penis.

Yes, she was fertile and had one joey. When the joey was barely ip, she broke her leg and had to go through extensive surgery. Anesthesia, pain meds, antibiotics. The joey was held ip much longer than it should have been yet was severely under developed. The body was about half the size it should have been and the joey only lived about 20 oop. We (the vet and I) attributed the joey's death to all the meds and such from mom's surgery.

It was several months AFTER the joey that I first saw the penis. So it is possible that the joey had genetic abnormalities as well.

Except for the broken leg, Spryte was healthy until a few days before she died. No necropsy was done so we don't know the extent of the genetic issues she had. She was also always a very tiny glider. 64 grams was her top weight.

6. since this may or may not be a genetic thing, color/breeding lines of the glider (possibility of inbreeding).

To my knowledge, she was not inbred. She was a standard gray. She originally came from Chey in Wichita.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/21/11 01:20 AM

I pulled the photos from the other thread.

Attached picture Spryte's penis.jpg
Attached picture Spryte's penis 2.jpg
Posted By: Karin

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/21/11 02:30 AM

I am asking for anyone that has had this phenomenon in any of their sugar gliders to share the following information:
6 weeks OOP (approx.)
10mos-1yr
completely formed pouch as well as penis confirmed by exotic vet
housed with two females, attempts to mate, sterile born here
none
glider is a leu, born of a leu father (Armani) and mosaic/leu het mother (Prada) in my home.

Posted a picture a long time ago here on GC but I cannot find it.

Karin
Posted By: Karin

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/21/11 02:36 AM

Ok, I found it but have no idea how to get it here, lol. (Zip it Eddie.)

here
Posted By: gliderboy4life

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/21/11 02:43 AM

4weeks OOP
1yr.
scrotum-no testes and a undeveloped pouch
Only 4 months old
no
Possibly from linebreeding

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/21/11 07:58 AM

Thanks so much everyone for your input! hug2 to all!
Posted By: AgentR

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/22/11 04:18 AM

-1 1/2
-unknown
-full pouch, no testies, full penis but doesnt seem to have control of it.
-yes, previous owner said she had 3 IP. I'm yet to see anything and i've had her for 6 months.
-Constipation
- cinnamon WFB
Posted By: GregCranston1

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/22/11 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: gliderboy4life
4weeks OOP
1yr.
scrotum-no testes and a undeveloped pouch
Only 4 months old
no
Possibly from linebreeding

This is one of the more in interesting stories I believe, I wonder if it will be fertile when old enough. Even though there seem to be no testes in the scrotum, they could drop a bit later, or they could be internal.

Re: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? - 07/23/11 09:51 AM

thanks for popping over here Greg!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL