GliderCENTRAL

Are gliders color blind?

Posted By: Anonymous

Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 04:31 AM

I know some animals are colorblind and do not see in 3D.
Are gliders color blind? I am asking this because our female got a new toy for Christmas. she has been swinging on it and playing with it ever since it was put in the cage. This one is very colorful

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 04:43 AM

Hmm.. I don't know the answer to that one dunno But I'd love to find out!
Posted By: DeeDancer

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 04:51 AM

Gliders must be able to see in 3D or they would not be able to glide accurately. I have no idea if they can see colors or not though.
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 01:21 PM

Gliders can see red and shades of red (pink, etc). I have a few gliders that will only sleep in red lined pouches/cubes.
Posted By: rdobbie23

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 04:28 PM

That is neat to know....I guess I just assumed they saw color cause their cages are so colorful, but I guess that could be for the human eye! LOL

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 06:30 PM

lol...i always pick my fleece by colors. I guess ill hhave to do it by reds now

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 06:37 PM

LOL I was one of the people that figured they could see colours (like most humans) until reading this... Thats why I have their cage so colourful

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 07:47 PM

How do you know that they can only see red?
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/24/08 08:13 PM

I think some animals can't see 2D, but in order to get through their environment, they see 3D (depth perception).

I have heard that gliders can see red, but I don't know how we know that. dunno

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/28/08 04:23 AM

when I was little I always heardp eople say they animals are color blind. But I have a lways been a skeptic, so I lookedi nto how they could say thing thinking they don't see through their eyes so they couldn't possibly know. They actually look at the anatomy of the eyes. There are different parts that decipher colors and shades. So what the animals eyes are made up of is what determines this. But I dunno what a Suggie's eyes are made up of. I'll have to look into it.

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/28/08 09:40 AM

Well, since they are mammals, sugar gliders have one of the most complex features in the animal kingdom. On top of that, they have some behaviors that consist of a predator, which would call for a very complex working eye. Sugar gliders also need to glide, which would have characteristics relating to depth of perception.

Though, with the depth of perception, I have many posters around my room, and both of my gliders try "landing" on the patterns of the posters. Instead, they just hit the wall and fall. It's rather funny to watch.
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/28/08 01:49 PM

Look at BMX glider's link ( BMXglider link )

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/28/08 03:13 PM

So it's like watching sin city. :giggles:

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/28/08 03:27 PM

Jackie_Chans_Mom: That is very interesting! I hope they do more studies and come out with the same results. I would love to think that my suggies can enjoy color similar to how I enjoy color. I think it makes life fun!

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/28/08 03:32 PM

That is very interesting. Does the colors they see have anything to do with being able to see at night? Sugar gliders and most marcupials are nocturnal so seeing red makes sense.

I have two pouches in each cage and they always gravitate to the lighter ones over the dark ones. I always thought they preferred the shape (the lighter ones are longer and have three staps) Now I wonder if it's the color?
Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Re: Are gliders color blind? - 12/28/08 03:49 PM

I tried researching this a while back and found the same answers....which is why I ONLY decorate my cage in shades of red. Call me crazy....:)
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL