GliderCENTRAL

Do gliders quit having heat cycles?

Posted By: GliderNursery

Do gliders quit having heat cycles? - 06/22/12 08:09 PM

I was asked this question and couldn't answer it. So, does anyone know?

We do know that females will naturally "retire" themselves. The age of this seems to range from around 4 years on up, and varies per glider.

So, does the female no longer cycle? Does she pull joeys before we realize she's pregnant, not allow them to migrate to the pouch, or just not allow the male to breed her?
Posted By: Berg

Re: Do gliders quit having heat cycles? - 06/22/12 09:22 PM

We have two nine year-old gliders and they still have their cycles, although it seems to be less obvious in the past year or so.
Posted By: josefine

Re: Do gliders quit having heat cycles? - 06/23/12 04:05 AM

My 2 girls have one every month.
Maggie has always sounded like she is in alot of pain for a day,& then she settles down.
Mollie will curl her tail,the tighter the tail gets,the closer she is to it,& then afterwards it goes back down to normal.
She has never carried on the way that her sister does,tho.
If they would still be able to get pregnant is something they will never have to worry about, I feel they were bred enough when they were younger.
I do hope that one of my 2 girls who are 5 will still be able to get pregnant. They never have been b/4, so I'm hoping they will/can.
Larry says if they don't,then we will just get a younger glider sometime down the road,& we'll try again.
Posted By: josefine

Re: Do gliders quit having heat cycles? - 06/23/12 04:05 AM

please delete
Posted By: xSwtxSugaX

Re: Do gliders quit having heat cycles? - 06/23/12 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: josefine

Mollie will curl her tail,the tighter the tail gets,the closer she is to it,& then afterwards it goes back down to normal.

Crazy! My glider Button does this. Never put two and two together tho.
Posted By: Cora

Re: Do gliders quit having heat cycles? - 06/23/12 05:36 PM

Yes, Gliders come in heat all their lives.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL