GliderCENTRAL

usa gliders vs other gliders?

Posted By: LalaPetush

usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 02:46 AM

I have seen that our usa gliders look different then other countries' gliders? Is this true? If so can someone post pics of each kinds im curious to see the differences. Thanks!
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 03:50 AM

Yes, you will find a difference in gliders. Hopefully, Marz will see this thread and post - she's got some really awesome looking gliders (she's from Australia).
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 09:40 AM

Yeah, her gliders are very unique looking and pretty! :O)

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 11:45 AM

I really hope she sees this! Is she on often?

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 12:55 PM

I haven't seen her around in a while. I'll shoot her a message with a link here thumb

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 01:52 PM

Got in touch with Marz - it's nearly midnight there so she's going to sleep on it and post some pictures when she's up. smile
Posted By: Helen88uk

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 06:15 PM

The UK only has standard greys for sale at the moment
Posted By: Taby_Stec

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 09:03 PM

That would suck if there was only standard greys here but they have much more and I am getting a Leucistic and a White Face or a White Faced Blonde (:
Posted By: Marz

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 11:19 PM

The reason that gliders look different is because there are different subspecies in different habitats over several countries in the wild. The majority of US gliders have come from one country so most are similar in features. However, even in US, you can get different sizes and some different physical characteristics as even in Indonesia/PNG ( where most of the USD gliders originated) there are diffent subspecies or origin specific types.

Here in Australia, we have several subspecies. The tiny, silver greys from Northern Territory, the longer tailed slightly bigger gliders from Queensland and the large, darker chunky ones from down south. I have seen some chocolate brown ones that came from wild stock in one part of Victoria. These are quite distinctive.

Main differnces between say my own gliders and the average US glider is size. 200g is not uncommon for weight though I had one female 350g ! Next is the ears and face..whilst the US gliders have curved ears and fine long faces, mine have short rounded faces with big round ears. Our tails are a lot fluffier as a rule too. Colouring is definitely different with mine being darker.

Here are two Australian glider (breviceps breviceps) -head shots. They are full sisters.

Attached picture lilli1.jpg
Attached picture DSC00288gc.jpg
Posted By: upsoon

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 11:27 PM

I would love to see what the tiny silver grays from the Northern Territory look like Can you get pictures of these?

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/14/12 11:28 PM

More photos

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 01:46 AM

Wow! Is there anyway we can get those kinds here? My bf has fallen in love lol
Posted By: Annie

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 02:27 AM

I was thinking the same thing too Lauren! lol but I think the USA put a hold on suggie imports. frown I'm not 100% sure though...

Marz, your little suggie is absolutely precious! I love how fluffy its tail is! Wow!
Posted By: PocketPrincess

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Annie
I was thinking the same thing too Lauren! lol but I think the USA put a hold on suggie imports. frown I'm not 100% sure though...

Marz, your little suggie is absolutely precious! I love how fluffy its tail is! Wow!

Actually, Australia put a hold on exports for the pet trade.
Posted By: Taby_Stec

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 03:57 AM

Why'd they do that?

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Taby_Stec
Why'd they do that?

Our wildlife are protected species and as such cannot be exported for pets or commercial sale. Red tape and lots of restrictions can see some zoo swaps. These laws have been in place many years now.
Posted By: GregCranston1

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: upsoon
I would love to see what the tiny silver grays from the Northern Territory look like Can you get pictures of these?

Here is a pic above the smaller silver greys from the Northern Territory that Marz was talking about, I have a pair of them. This photo was taken quite a while ago though and is obviously not very good, I will have to try and get a better one in the coming nights. I can't resist putting a baby pic from my Southern subspecies gliders (same as Marz's) also, I have 4 adults of that subspecies too. So here is a pic below of a pair of babies from a while ago, as well as one of both parents, mum with joey attached.
Posted By: SugarBattyPatty

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 01:38 PM

These are all so adorable. I love how fat/fluffy they are. It's a shame trade has been stopped but I can crtainly understand why. There are so many in this country now that aren't taken care of.

Thank you for the pics. It's so nice to see that GC reaches all over the world.

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 01:56 PM

What if i ever wanted to move to australie could i take my usa gliders with me?
Posted By: MissSarah

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 02:21 PM

I'm not 100%, but I would say probably not. First off, the shipping would probably stress your glider to no end. And then, there are quarantine procedures for animals brought into the country.
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/15/12 09:59 PM

I love, love, love the aussie gliders. They are so gorgeous with their round faces and full bodies. heart

Marz, your babies are STUNNING. I always enjoy seeing them. The one in your avatar has a coat that would make my suggies jealous!

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/16/12 12:13 AM

Oo okay. For some reason i thoight i saw somewhere that gliders were illegal in australia. Maybe my brain is playing tricks.
Posted By: Helen88uk

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/16/12 01:50 AM

I thought they were too.
And as for importing, I know that any glider would have to spend 6 months in quarantine before entering the UK ... I think that's why we still only have standard greys for sale. It's possible to import colour morphs, but for the average breeder, it's far too much money/time/impracticality. I couldn't even imagine the work that would have to go into looking after gliders in quarantine x
Posted By: Feather

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/16/12 02:06 AM

I believe that you have to have a permit to have them as pets and then it is usually gliders that have been hurt.

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/16/12 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: LalaPetush
Oo okay. For some reason i thoight i saw somewhere that gliders were illegal in australia. Maybe my brain is playing tricks.

You can own captive bred gliders in some states with a licence. Licences are fairly easy to get where I live but there are regulations & procedures in place for the welfare of the animals...shame they don't have that world wide!!

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/16/12 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Feather
I believe that you have to have a permit to have them as pets and then it is usually gliders that have been hurt.

Injured wild gliders are rehabbed and then released back into their original habitat.

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/16/12 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: MissSarah
I'm not 100%, but I would say probably not. First off, the shipping would probably stress your glider to no end. And then, there are quarantine procedures for animals brought into the country.

Definitely not for those reasons mentioned but also because gliders are a native species, the importation of other gliders could be a health risk on the wild population. There would be no real viable reason to import gliders into Australia since they are plentiful here.

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/16/12 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Marz
[quote=MissSarah]There would be no real viable reason to import gliders into Australia since they are plentiful here.

Must.Move.To.Australia.

:rofl2:

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/21/12 03:15 AM

For those interested, I just weighed Lilli - my hand reared baby who celebrated her first birthday a couple of months ago. She is 173 grams now
Posted By: Dallie

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/21/12 03:22 AM

Marz your babies are absolutely beautiful!
Posted By: kjgoulet

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 04/21/12 08:59 PM

They're soo adorable! I'd travel all the way there just to be able to hold one, NO JOKE! I love their fluffy faces and bodies and altogether cuteness!
Posted By: GregCranston1

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 05/06/12 12:21 PM

Here are the pics of my Australian Northern subspecies sugars that I promised so long ago;

They are actually a bit more similar to the US gliders in the looks department, finer faces, smaller overall and less fluffy than the southern subspecies that most Australian glider keepers have, and which Marz and I have posted several pics of before.
Posted By: lovekelc

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 05/06/12 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Marz
The reason that gliders look different is because there are different subspecies in different habitats over several countries in the wild. The majority of US gliders have come from one country so most are similar in features. However, even in US, you can get different sizes and some different physical characteristics as even in Indonesia/PNG ( where most of the USD gliders originated) there are diffent subspecies or origin specific types.

Here in Australia, we have several subspecies. The tiny, silver greys from Northern Territory, the longer tailed slightly bigger gliders from Queensland and the large, darker chunky ones from down south. I have seen some chocolate brown ones that came from wild stock in one part of Victoria. These are quite distinctive.

Main differnces between say my own gliders and the average US glider is size. 200g is not uncommon for weight though I had one female 350g ! Next is the ears and face..whilst the US gliders have curved ears and fine long faces, mine have short rounded faces with big round ears. Our tails are a lot fluffier as a rule too. Colouring is definitely different with mine being darker.

Here are two Australian glider (breviceps breviceps) -head shots. They are full sisters.

Amazing they are beautiful!! mlove
Posted By: TheLittleLadyBug

Re: usa gliders vs other gliders? - 05/06/12 05:22 PM

Oh my gosh, i love these gliders. I agree with Aimee. Must move to Australia. smile
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL