GliderCENTRAL

Missing Glider

Posted By: orangecrush

Missing Glider - 08/28/15 09:48 AM

Got home late, fed the little ones, but we forgot to close the cage door. This morning we got up to find both are out loose in the house. We did find one, Jane. She is on our ceiling planks, 20 feet up. So....we don't want her to fall from there as we have hard colored concrete floors. That would be a big splat. Tarzan is still missing.

I figure we aren't the first with this challenge, and I couldn't find anything about this in a "search". So advice is needed. How do we find Tarzan, and since we both have busy careers we can't stay and wait for Jane to climb down. WHAT should we do next?
We left the cage door open and fresh food ready for them.
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: Missing Glider - 08/28/15 01:32 PM

Some people that have had this problem try to use treats to get them to come out, but I think it just takes time and patients to get them out. They could be sleeping now that it is day time, so it could be harder to find them, they could be curled up somewhere for a long while until they decide to wake up.

Best of luck and hopefully others will post with more experience on this topic.

Phil
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Missing Glider - 08/28/15 04:09 PM

Leave some pouches out with their scent on them, lay out some treats around them to attract the gliders and hope they seek them out while you're at work. Check all the toilets, close the lids and drain any standing water. You could place some very small bowls of water out, one in each room so that they can get a drink. And if you have any other pets I would crate them while you're away. Please keep us updated!
Posted By: orangecrush

Re: Missing Glider - 08/28/15 04:59 PM

Thanks.

We did find the missing one curled up in a small shipping cardboard box on the kitchen table from last night. Alas the one up high will just have to find his way down today. We placed the one we could get into the travel cage for the day. Food and water available. The other we left favorite treats in the cage with the door open. Which is in the same room where he's on the rafters.

Hopefully they will be fine.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Missing Glider - 08/28/15 05:46 PM

Try to hang a pouch as high as you can close to where Jane is hiding and she may decide to climb into it.
Posted By: josefine

Re: Missing Glider - 08/28/15 06:41 PM

Since she is in the same room as her cage is, hopefully she will glide over to it, if not, hopefully she will be able to get down as she got up, or glide from object to object.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Missing Glider - 08/29/15 01:54 AM

Keep your toilet lids down, don't do any laundry or take out the trash until you get the other one back into custody.

If you can close them off in that room that would be great.

Good Luck and Please keep us posted.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Missing Glider - 08/29/15 11:22 AM

You don't happen to have an extension pole maybe a duster that will reach?

Fiona has "frozen" up about 8 feet hanging upside down. We have since then helped her practice gliding while hanging upside down. It's was a confidence thing I think. But they do land hard. I've watched videos on them and it seems to be their nature.

keep us posted!
Posted By: SuggieSamantha

Re: Missing Glider - 08/31/15 02:11 PM

I honestly doubt the fall will hurt her. Gliders in the wild can go hubdreds of feet and they always land hard. If she were to lqnd on her feet she'll probably be ok. I'd try hanging a pouch high uo, from the rafters or a fan. Maybe tie a pouch with treats in it onto the end of a rope, throw the other end over the rafter, and hoist it up. Anchor it and when you get home lower it and check inside.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Missing Glider - 08/31/15 03:43 PM

Did this little one come down yet?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL