GliderCENTRAL

Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!)

Posted By: Anonymous

Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 02:52 AM

Ok, here goes one heck of a rant.... tant

I was at the Flower and Patio show here in Indianapolis on Saturday. I was walking up and down the aisles like everyone else when I noticed a guy with a pouch around his neck. Not unusal, it was a little noisy but every glider is different. Then I noticed a cage in this other hand. Sure enough, the last aisle homed the Pocket Pets booth, compete with two gentleman introducing all the lovely people to these really cool pets called Sugar Gliders.

Now, I saw these people at the Christmas and Hobby show back in November here in town as well. These are the people that caused me to inquire about Sugar Gliders. However, I went home, researched them, learned about them, and spent 2 WEEKS really thinking through if I wanted to commit myself to these little creatures I knew nothing about.

Now, I didn't want to state that I owned any so I just walked up, joined the crowd, and listened on like all the other passerbys. Needless to say, about 5 minutes into his little speech, I was almost in tears. The things he was saying, well, they were all lies! Did you know that if you go out of town, all you need is a neighbor to come over and put an apple slice in the food dish? Did you know it only costs $4 a month to feed a glider? Did you know that they will bond to you in 2-4 weeks FULLY? Did you know that you can feed them whatever you have around your house because they eat fruits and veggies? Did you know that they barely bite? Did you know they make excellent pets for kids? Did you know that gliders are very, very clean animals that make almost no mess? Did you know that gliders can be seen by any vet in your local area? Did you know that gliders carry no odors? Gliders love cheerios, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and anything sweet that you can think of?

I am sorry mods if I am not allowed to bash anything like this and if I am out of place, please let me know. It just hurts like none other to be witness to this. Someone in the crowd asked if they could take one home today? They guy said no because he was all sold out until tomorrow. When asked how many he sold, he replied "20". 20 gliders in a matter of about 8 hours. How is that possible? He said not to worry, he would be bringing more babies later. cry

I know that everything is a business but my husband made me leave before I started crying. Funny how there was no mention of bonding time, tent time, crabbing, glider proofing your house, acceptable cage size, e-collars, and so much other stuff. The crowd was also told just how many gliders had been placed in happy homes. I almost asked him if he could tell me how many of those were still in their original home and not re-homed as rescues with my many friends on GC?

Sorry this is so long, but I just helped rescue a glider on Tuesday. My first and let me tell you, I wish it would be my last. After seeing what I did with Cricket, I just can't turn my back or hide my emotion about what I felt on Saturday.

Thanks for anyone that listened and if there is anyone that bought their glider from Pocket Pets, I am sorry if I offended you. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings. I just vented how I felt.
Posted By: Jennifer_Maaske

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:01 AM

cry

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:03 AM

I know how you feel. This is a typical visit with Perfect Pocket Pets. They are a horrible company. They sold hundreds at the Iowa State Fair because they sold them with all these lies. 2 weeks after we had tons of new members and craiglist had list after list of gliders for sale. You can tell when they come from this company because every lister said "glider for sale, comes with cage, heated rock, vitamins, pellets". This is why we are trying to shut them down!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:06 AM

bonding time, tent time, crabbing, glider proofing your house, acceptable cage size, e-collars, and so on.. are all things we do because we love our suggies and want to keep them safe/healthy/happy and these things are not EASY.

all the lies they are telling the crowd it to sell as many of these as possible by making them appear easy to keep.

no smell..
4 dollars a month..
barely bite..
no mess.. etc.

it's making them sound just like.. 'PERFECT' pocket pets.

what the people dont realize is that they are not perfect for everyone.
Posted By: Jennifer_Maaske

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:06 AM

HEAT ROCK!!!!!

not only is the obvious scary there....but wouldn't they chew right through the electrical cord?

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:07 AM

What do we do to shut them down? I have been an advocate for puppy mills for awhile and currently protest pet stores in my area (after having a rescued bloodhound and a found abandoned shepard mix)
Posted By: Bubbles8i8

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:31 AM

Alia is already working on this, as well as I think Alden (vaklyriemome).

If they are open tomorrow, go back with a tape recorder hidden in your pocket and record what they say. Ask them questions about their care and catch them lying. Make sure to ask about vet care, nutrition requirements, cage size, etc. Get any papers they are passing out.

Collect as much dirt as possible to help out!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:31 AM

I have a thread about stopping them from coming to the Iowa State Fair this year. SO, far they are scheduled to come, but I have spoken with a man at the fair that is willing to listen. He wants me to bring in conversations about people having bad experiences with them. People having gliders die, getting told lies, etc. It's just one fair, but it's certainly a start.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:33 AM

Yes part of what I told the man on the phone was that they lie about vet care. There are approx two, count them two exotic vets in des moines. None in Ames or the surrounding areas. So, TWO exotic vets that are pretty expensive. Well, one is the other is pretty fair. But, the point is to get them telling you that any vet can take care of them. This is a blatant lie because only two will.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:34 AM

Not to mention try telling them you are from a state that doesn't allow them. Don't say you know they don't allow them. But, something along the lines that you are from there and are visiting . I'm curious to see if they will tell you they are illegal there.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:43 AM

Oh, you mean, like pretend she is from GA or CA, to see if they will tell her that gliders are illegal there? That is a good idea!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 03:50 AM

Sorry if this has already been asked, but don't they have to have a USDA license? Are they licensed? Surely if we can show the USDA that they are doing this we can hopefully get them shut down?

Can we get a list of places they are travelling, and maybe GC members in each community can get the media going and make a big stinkfest before they arrive and drive them out of business?

This is just deplorable...I can't believe how many gliders must be going to inadequate homes because of these jerks cry

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:01 AM

They're USDA licensed and my usda rep thinks they're just awesome. HOWEVER, they were at a Home and Garden show in my neighborhood this weekend as well. Apparently, their new schtick is to show up at every venue. The tables at this show were nearly $1,000 for the four days......

I work with wildlife and exotic rescue and we set up a booth at these venues for educational purposes and I always bring some of my suggies. Well I told anyone and everyone who would listen what they were all about AND, I handed out brochures and flyers with my business card that has glidercentral and USGN listed on them for research purposes. We were running people down who were carrying Pocket Pets flyers! SOOOOOO many people thanked us for telling them the truth!

If anyone wants a copy of the flyer we have they're welcome to it. Basically, it doesn't slander them by name at ALL, it simply contradicts everything they say and people believe what it says because I basically say that anyone who tells you that THEY are the only ones that can give you information has something to hide. Being a RESPONSIBLE pet owner dictates that you research any animal before bringing it into your home, etc.

But here is the BEST part of this weekend.....our booth was right next to the Sherriffs Dept., Animal Control and those head honcho guys who write city codes and ordinances.....well, they fell in LOVE with our animals, gliders included. We have been invited to their next board meetings where a BAN ON SELLING SUGGIES IN OUR COUNTY at fairs, festivals, etc. will be put on the table!!!! If we can do it here, other cities will follow suit.

One of the other vendors in our area came to me so upset because someone told him that they had bought a glider from Pocket Pets this summer at our local fair and they got tired of it so they released it outside!!! This man was so upset he let that guy HAVE it!

I handed out HUNDREDS of flyers this weekend and that was only to the people who specifically asked about my gliders and Pocket Pets! I didn't have enough for everyone, but I got to the people who showed any interest in them at all!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:17 AM

clap What a great story on how one person armed with a bunch of flyers, some cute suggies, and a mission can make a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

Does anyone know where we can get a list of where else they're going?

Maybe if we can show up everywhere we can run them out of business!

If they ever come around Seattle, I'll make them miserable, even if I need to take a day off work to do it!!!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:27 AM

get the peta into it
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:30 AM

clap Great Job Suggiemom!!!!
Currently, I am in the process of having CCW, and PocketPets Dallas banned from doing any Trade Shows held in the state of Kansas, Nebraska, and Colorado.
There are some legal issues being worked out so I am not at liberty to say any more than the fact that BIG THINGS are beginning to happen in the Glider Community with stopping these individuals from taking advantage of these sweet little innocent babies lives.
KUDOS to everyone who is working in their own area!
If you currently own a sugar glider that you have purchased from any of these individuals, and have had to seek medical care due to lack of proper care, diet, etc...
Please send me an email - LSardou@netks.net with your name, vets name, and a brief summary of the vets report.
Please note that the information must include:
State of purchase, a receipt from seller, vets name, telephone number, and a brief medical report.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:45 AM

Thanks guys. I'm on a mission here too. And one thing I learned this weekend....people are VERY interested in the truth and most of them know that these guys are not as good as they seem so thats part of the battle. I was amazed at how many people just thanked me for being honest because I didn't even have to bad mouth Pocket Pets....all I had to say was why would anyone NOT want you to research a pet that will live in your home potentially for 15 years?????

Linda, I left a message with my vet on Friday so hopefully I'll have that info soon, but I don't have any receipts. I know that Angel from GC had purchased from them and lost one very soon after the fair left. The other had a horrible eye infection and nearly lost his site.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: darkwaterdevil
get the peta into it

OT, but peta is actually against owning ANY kind of pet, get them on it and it could result in them sponsoring the ban on gliders. NOT a good idea.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:56 AM

ACtually, I contacted Peta about it this summer because no one else seemed willing to help and they were VERY helpful, but couldn't do any more than we're doing now really unless we had proof of neglect. They are willing however to put some clout behind us if we can offer some proof to them and they can have their attorneys send some letters, etc. I'm sure I still have the guys email address.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention earlier, I didn't know this until we were breaking down the show, but one of the new girls with our group mentioned casually that when she walked over to Pocket Pets booth, they were bottle feeding joeys!!!!!!!!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 04:58 AM

Jenny: I am sorry to say this but at the last minute, my poor hubby didn't think and told him we owned 2 gliders. All of the people started asking my questions and I started giving them answers. I showed them my hands and told them I wasn't a cutter ( grin ) and that I just owned suggies. I told them just how much time I spend bonding with them during the day and how I do tent time everynight. Needless to say, they guy no longer wanted my around. He didn't say anything, but you could see it on his face. I said something about crabbing and he said, it is more like chattering. I said HA! Ya right! I have made a couple calls and I am going to see if I can get a good friend of mine to tape record what he says.

Alia: I think I am going to call someone at the fair office and see if I can talk to them. If I could just stop them from the 3 shows they do, I am making some distance.

Suggiemom: Is there a website somewhere that I could look to see if I have a exotic rescue in Indianapolis like the one you work for? I would like to see if they are doing anything currently with sugar gliders. If not, maybe I could start something like what you are doing in Greenville.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:04 AM

Hey Sami, well, I'm not sure. I've been rescuing suggies for several years now and only in the past year or two working with the wildlife rescue. I sort of brought suggies to them. Because they are state and federally licensed, I can rescue on a much larger scale and we were getting inundated with Pocket Pets throw aways when they leave town. Most rescues specialize in one thing such as wildlife. We just happen to do exotics as well because we have such a local problem with unwanted ferrets, lizards, etc.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:06 AM

Oh and Linda, would you mind emailing me some of your info, how you got started with what you're doing to get them banned in those states and venues? This situation just sort of conveniently fell into our lap, (don'tcha love it when that happens? LOL) but I'd be willing to push the envelope here as well. We actually have a LOT of clout with local government, etc because of short staffs and budget cuts they depend on us a LOT.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:24 AM

Its really sad to see the HUGE negative impact that sugar glider mill breeders have had on our precious furry friends. frown

They are a HUGE part of the problem...owner education is the other part.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:34 AM

That's true Nickie and that is why I started bringing my gliders to our wildlife shows....to get the word out. I never dreamed we'd end up at the same venue as pocket pets! Thank goodness we were in the 1,000 hall and they were in the 500 hall or who knows what would have happened?

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:38 AM

omg, I could only imagine how that would have turned out!
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:09 PM

I actually have a condensed version of my "So you want to own a Sugar Glider" brochure printed on the back of my business cards (it has a link to the full brochure on the bottom as well) That way when people start to ooh and aah and "I want one", they can see at the very minimum what they're looking at. I'm glad I had them printed that way because it's helped me talk quite a few people out of wanting one!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:17 PM

Becki could I have one of those brochures to send in with my other information. I have been looking for an information packet of correct info that I could pair with PPP's info packet they handed out at last years thread. I plan on having a lengthy letter explaining why their info is wrong and backing that up with correct info.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:24 PM

I'd like a copy as well, and Alia, when you get everything gathered into one central location, could you pop me over a copy of everything you end up with as well? Linda too? I think if we fight this as one big, collective fight we're going to make a better impact than if we all go flying solo in our hometowns, etc.

And, each time we get a venue to agree that they will ban them, we should keep a list so that when we send off our next round of info we can say. "So and so has already banned them from their venue as a show of support for these beautiful animals" or something like that.

BTW...you guys rock!
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 05:50 PM

I'm hoping to gather information about PPP and ALL the other mill breeders, as well.

I need real concrete information - facts and dates - of documented sick gliders or underage gliders being sold by these Mill Breeders. I would like to gather all the information I can, hoping to start Class Action suits against these people.

There is also THIS thread, and THIS thread and THIS thread and THIS Thread and, of course, THIS thread, by Alia.

And other, older threads.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 06:46 PM

Ok, don't know if this is legal or not, but if you find they are selling them, can you go there with printed info sheets on them to hand out to people to show them the TRUTH? Perhaps if you speak to the people that throw these things, they might allow it. Just an idea. At least they will have the proper info (hopefully before they purchase, but at least after they do........) Just an idea.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 06:51 PM

As far as I know you can be arrested for handing out information right next to their booth. You can however, sit outside on public property and hand out information.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 07:12 PM

My only warning is make sure of recording laws in your state. Some states are single party, ie you can video tape regardless. Some states like michigan are single party for video but two party for audio. Ie both parties must know the conversation is being taped. If you do not do this, the tape is not evidence and also you can be charged with wire taping fraud. Just a friendly FYI.

Also this entire thing aggravates me to no end, I talked to the people at the Mi state fair, and if they show up this year, i will take soem kind of action, don't know what yet, but ill think of something by then.
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 08:06 PM

Ok, everyone is saying to tell these poor impulse buyers the "truth", but how do you PROVE that the diet/caging/handling information that PPP is handing out is FALSE? It's one thing to go, "gliders need lots of space to glide and play in" and another to go, "the reason gliders need a minimum of xyz space is because of this proven study etc" - these PPP people sound like they're doing what WE do, but using THEIR information. They say you can feed them ferret/cat food, we say they need a special diet, but without anything to back that up people will still buy cat & ferret food because it's cheaper and easier than making a special diet.

I love the idea of using vet records and statements to prove the point - it will look much better than just saying, "but they're WRONG!" and only having "opinion" to back it up. Find USDA regulations on cage sizes, find articles written by zoos and universities, anything that can be brought as legit, because PPP will not listen to someone taking away their business who has nothing to back it up but hearsay and no proven facts!

This is so frustrating, I've never seen suggies at a flea market, only in pet shops, and it sounds like this PPP corporation is just there for profit because if it CAN sell, they WILL sell it. They certainly know how to make it appeal to ANY impulse buyer (cheap to feed! doesn't take up space! no smell! quiet! no vets needed!), it's like watching a horrific infomercial.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/10/08 11:56 PM

OT- LAurie,Im sorry i missed that show! I had to work and my sister had her baby

Anyway, i have some of my vet bills from tail amputation,eye surgery and neuterings if anyone wants a copy for proof of expenses. Ive kept records of all the babies ive had to take to the vet under my care rescues and personal....by no means are there little to no vet costs!
They ARE messy and arenot easy to take care of.

Im so glad more people are helping to get these mills shut down!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 12:08 AM

Barbara did you get your gliders from Perfect Pocket Pets? If so, I would like a copy of those vet bills relating to those gliders! I'm glad you have kept the records!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 12:11 AM

no, i misunderstood what kind of information you was wanting. No these guys werenot from PPP- but were rescues some of which originated from glidersrus though.
I thought you was just wanting bills to show how expensive the vet bills could be.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 12:21 AM

Mine were bought at wolfcase mall in germantown, tn sold to my 17 yr. old daughter she spent all of our xmas money 745.00 i sent all kinds of letters complaining and i have emails complaining to pocket pets and they both had an infection but it wasent called guardia thank god i fell into this site i believe they would be dead by now they even emailed back sayin that others wanted to buy more pets and that they were going to be at a lawn and garden show a few weeks later in germantown i was sick to my stomach
I will help in any way i can

luddiedi

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 12:27 AM

I was on craigslist and i found that someone was selling under age gliders. Here is the link http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/pet/601583660.html. They look way to small to be taken away from mom and dad. Its sad how people can do that to them .

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 12:31 AM

Barbara- It's okay that you misunderstood. You had very good intentions and I appreciate you wanting to help.

Luddiedi did you find the emails and letters to the mall and PPP? Your information will be very useful for me as to reasons they shouldn't be allowed to come!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:29 AM

The public is not allowed to interupt their business in any way. They have the upper hand or so they think anyhow. Of course, it's not breaking any laws if you have your own gliders with you and people ask you questions about them on their own as long as you're not standing in front of their booth......don't obstruct them in any way and don't seek out their customers.

I had a BALL this weekend contradicting every word they said. That's what is so great about us having a booth at these events. They can't do a thing. We're not breaking any laws and I'm minding my own business.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bdeese
no, i misunderstood what kind of information you was wanting. No these guys werenot from PPP- but were rescues some of which originated from glidersrus though.
I thought you was just wanting bills to show how expensive the vet bills could be.

I am the one collecting the information on ALL the mill breeders - needing vet bills and such.

Yes, that would be very helpful to me.

Edit: I'm sorry, I did sort of camp onto this thread with my own, separate requests. I understand the confusion.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 05:00 AM

Quote:
Find USDA regulations on cage sizes

Here is the sad truth...the cages only have to be large enough for the animal to stand up and turn around in. That means a 1 foot x 1 foot x 1 foot cube. And that is for 2 gliders.

We all know that is not adequate but we have to get the USDA to change the laws and so far, that hasn't happened.

As a community, we can't all even agree on what is minimum size required for a pair of gliders.

We do say, 2 foot x 2 foot x 3 feet tall, which is 20,736 cubic inches, is minimal but...I personally use 30 x 18 x 36 (19,440 c.i.) or 55 (29,700 c.i.) per pair.

If we could all agree that the minimum should be 15,000 cubic inches, for 1 or 2 gliders, then maybe, just maybe we can get somewhere with the USDA on cage size requirements.
Posted By: Sabarika

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Here is the sad truth...the cages only have to be large enough for the animal to stand up and turn around in. That means a 1 foot x 1 foot x 1 foot cube. And that is for 2 gliders.

That's a problem there.. unfortunately PPP can go, "well where's your proof they need this much space? our customers don't have that kind of room and OUR suggies are just FINE in these small cages, so you're wrong!" :/ I wish there was a way to change the regulations, it would be so great if things ran the way they're supposed to.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 05:17 AM

try putting these breeders in cages that accommodates them as well as a 1x1x1 does our furbabies

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 05:52 AM

I wholeheartedly concur! I'd like to stuff that chubby bald guy in a cube that's for sure.....LOL Ohh maybe throw in a heat rock in July and throw in a couple of pellets. I'll even give him an apple slice too.....Hey, they say it's ok for gliders.......

"Ok, everyone is saying to tell these poor impulse buyers the "truth", but how do you PROVE that the diet/caging/handling information that PPP is handing out is FALSE? It's one thing to go, "gliders need lots of space to glide and play in" and another to go, "the reason gliders need a minimum of xyz space is because of this proven study etc" - these PPP people sound like they're doing what WE do, but using THEIR information. They say you can feed them ferret/cat food, we say they need a special diet, but without anything to back that up people will still buy cat & ferret food because it's cheaper and easier than making a special diet."

You don't have to tell people the "truth" you simply have to say that ANYONE who says do NOT research I'm the only one who knows anything about these animals has something to hide!!! Anyone who does not want you to seek a second opinion or to look at all the information available so you can make an informed decision has something to hide. It really is that simple. I'm not even saying what I think is the right thing....I just tell them to read EVERYTHING and decide for themselves. Pocket Pets won't do that.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 06:42 AM

I too am a victim of pocket pets here in Florida. I have a whole post on it and if you want vet bills I can give you tons. I can also forward you email's of awful information that they gave me that nearly killed my poor Lillie. This is recent we purchased her on 2/8/08. They won't respond to me but I have everything armed and since they won't refund me I am in the middle of filing a civil case with them. My poor baby had one of the worst cases of Giardia that my vet has ever seen, and I noticed the loose stools the morning after I got her so it wasn't just an oversight and talking to a few other people Lillie wasn't the only one. But if you need info I have the receipts for the vet the receipts for Lillie, the flyer they handed me I have EVERYTHING I just want these poor little critters to be cared for properly and they told me all lies!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 07:05 AM

has anyone been on their wabsite?? it give info they have some good cages but almost all their info is completely wrong, they even say to not come looking on the internet because most people will give them bad info, i am on the site right now and its so just grrrrrrr thats the only word to explain it

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 07:21 AM

cprrect me if i'm wrong but i though you can give them pine anything, well the site says for the shaving use pine shavings in bold lettering,
isnt that harmful to them??

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 02:50 PM

You should see all the wrong info in the area of their website that you can't access their "family circle" Thats where they tell you if your baby is sick to give him pepto bismol (my vet nearly had a heart attack at this info) and tons of other awful purely wrong information.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 03:02 PM

Lilleethesugee I most definitely want everything you have! I remember your post. I brought it up to the fair man. He told me that they (ppp) follow up with customers. I said ohh you mean when the glider comes home with giardia, they say to feed the glider pepto bismol, glider nearly dies, vet saves the day and they stop talking to the customer and take her off the email list, SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT FOLLOW UP TO ME!!!!

I will PM you my email addy. Send me whatever you can find! Emails with PPP, vet bills, whatever!
Posted By: silverwolf

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 03:09 PM

Is there a way we can get a hold of a zoo in Australia or something that might have cage size and other diet info that would help? I think by doing that it might be our best bet. I remember reading somewhere (I wish I could remember where) that in actuality none of us should own gliders because they need alot more space than most of us can provide. It was put out by one of the zoos so I am wondering if it would help.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:20 PM

I bought my 2 gliders( cage, heat rock 1 yrs worth of pellet food, 1 yrs worth of vitamins, 2 toys for the cage, 2 bonding pouches) from PPP in Colorado at a Home show. Fortunately I got on the internet right after I bought them and realized right away their diet info was way wrong and the cage too small. This has all been recified since purchase in early Jan. My two girls are doing great but they were only on PPP diet for 1 day before I changed diets.

Let me tell you there was huge crowd at their booth and my son got sucked in right away. Of course his mother did too. We spent a fortune on all that stuff.

The only thing I can offer is the receipt of purchase and all the paperwork we got. Fortunately my 2 girls are fine. One of the girls was considerably smaller than the other and was probably too young to have been sold but she ok now. And she is so sweet.

So I would never buy again from anyone( including PPP) and would persue getting one from a rescue if we ever did get another. I have no interest in breeding.

Instead of fighting againstPPP why doesn't someone in the area who knows much about glider care/treatment try to talk with them so at least if they continue to sell (which they probably will) the info given will be correct.
Should I see them again it is my intend to try to talk to the guy and explain that it might be better to "join" in with other glider enthusiasts to make sure his babies are getting the best care, housing etc. for them.
Education is they way to go I think. And of course I have no idea if this already occured and it failed but...thought it was worth a try.
Just my two cents.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:24 PM

Well like MOST animals, we should never own them. THat isn't the point now however. They're here whether we like it or not and we have to do the best we can for them since we've forced them into this existence for our enjoyment.

Lilleethesugar - I'm so sorry for your experience, but rest assured that Lillees case is going to help shut them down. She will not have suffered for nothing and she will be helping all those other babies!!!

As for their website...one thing I noticed is that whenever they have these weekend sales blitzes, their website is "down". I have a theory that they do this on purpose...they hand out their cute lil glossy flyers and tell people to come back later only they don't really want them to go online and read anything about them......they've changed their website to include larger cages and tell people they need a cage that size, but what we witnessed this weekend is them telling people they ONLY need the tiny cage they are providing. Of course, those people go home, log onto their website and see these larger cages......they care only about making that sale and they'll tell them ANYTHING they need to in order to get to it!!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:25 PM

Oh, I'm going to add some stuff to my flyers asking ANYONE who has purchased from them and ended up with a sick glider or rehomed it quickly, etc. to email me so I can document each case!! There are probably so many people who don't even go online about them.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:28 PM

MinMor719...tried and failed. If you even mention that you already have gliders and that you think they're giving out bad information or if they even get wind that you might disagree with them, they'll have you PHYSICALLY removed from the venue!!!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:42 PM

MinMor719- these people are very stubborn and don't want to listen. Fact of the matter is that people see sugar gliders as cute animals that they have never seen before (which is true), but not that many people would buy them if they knew how much work has to be done. So, PPP, not caring about the actual animals themselves and only wanting money sell them off like they are the world's best and easiest pet to take care. Cuter than a hamster and just as easy to take care. They don't want to listen when it comes to telling the correct information because lets face it, they are not easy to take care of like hamsters. They require a lot of work and patience. And like sugiemom said, if you even mention that you have a glider and know they are wrong they immediately right you off, ask you to leave, or like my case, they argue with you. I remember a post on here from awhile ago where the woman noticed there were dehydrated gliders. She told one of the PPP workers who in turned said "ohh ok we will take care of it", she walked over told a guy, the guy comes over and stands right in front of the lady and ignores her. The lady again tells the man that there are some dehydrated gliders. He asks her to leave or he will call the cops. All because she tried to help him and was genuinely concerned about the gliders. But, because she was consider one of these so called "internet experts" that PPP hate, she was given the boot.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:44 PM

Also MinMor719, I would like the paperwork you have. It would be nice to have the information they give with the gliders. Another thing that would be good, would be a written statement from you. The fact that one glider was soo much smaller and you yourself think she was too young is a good thing to have record of.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 04:52 PM

Ok...well I thought it was worth a try. Too bad because I think it will take a act of G-d to keep these people from selling and beleive me they are selling.

I probably would have bought anyway even if someone gave me the straight story although I certainly would have gotten them from a rescue. Yes. they are not the easiest pet but they are mine and I love them.

Of course I am an internet junkie so even though I went to thier site I also went other places to this forum and another one and read til my eyes crossed. Beleive me I am no glider expert but I think the girls are doing great and I feel comfortable that they have what they need and more. And they seem healthy- are growing,have soft fluffy fur, eat what I give them and are bonding well with both of us.

In essence I guess I am lucky ours are great....so far.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 05:07 PM

yes minmor you are very very lucky! They told me all I needed was one glider and on top of the Giardia she started self mutliating her poor little tail... fortunatly her new little friend that I rescued(not being too close because she is still sick) chattering with her from afar seems to have helped that! But by the time all is said and done I have spent almost 200 in vet bills and I still have to bring her back and have been told it will cost another 200 or so and could result in yet another vet visit. All for a pet they told me would never need to be seen by a vet. She still has diarrhea and although getting bigger and better is still very underweight for her age (when taken to the vet the first time she was only 28.5 grams now shes 35.5). Shes the sweetest most friendly fuzz ball I have ever seen if a friend is visiting and I have her out she will face hug them and stuff but I still have this guilt over listening to them. I also wonder how many people were like me and listened when they said don't listen to "so-called" internet experts. It took Lisa from Suncoast Sugar Gliders and my vet for me to see the light. I already rescued one, I am working on getting my money back and anytime I hear of one in need I will gladly take them in. I am fortunate these little guys are great for me I suffer from MS and spend all day at home in pain. They take my mind off of it! So if anyone bought from Pocket Pets in the Florida area and just doesn't want them... send them my way I promise a good home and it will help ease my guilt!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 05:35 PM

Quote:
(when taken to the vet the first time she was only 28.5 grams now shes 35.5).

This is soooooo sad to me. Most of the responsible breeders I've talked to, won't let their joeys leave until they are 8 weeks (or older) oop and over 40 grams. If at 8 weeks they are still underweight, they will keep them a bit longer to make sure they are eating alright and such.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 05:57 PM

that is really sad frown both of my 4 1/2 week OOP joeys are bigger than that..

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 07:03 PM

Lilleethesugee, I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope everything turns out ok for you. It is great that your are willing to take in rescues. What a wonderful person you are taking in resucues with your health condition( I'm a nurse BTW)
As you can see I'm an animal softie..5 dogs...I just can't say no...

I think the thing that hit me the hardest was that there are so many rescues because for whatever reason people can't or won't keep them.

I would love it if PPP quit selling too, those poor little sugar gliders should not be sold to whomever who might do g-d knows what to them..and could end up in a resucue rather than a forever home.

Please PM me with the info on where to send the receipt, info and such and I will do it.

Mindy

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 07:13 PM

well lucky for Lillie we have a great vet and a great support system and lately she has turned into quite the pig. I just gave her the medicine from the vet and after offered her a mealie because I use them like treats and its the only way she wont freak over taking her meds. My daughter left the can of worms beside me and open and she went for a dive inhaling I don't even know how many made me wish I had my camera it was sooo cute!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 07:27 PM

HAHA I have a glider like that too! Dolly is a mealie fiend! She literally lunges out of her pouch, grasps my hands with hers, steals the mealie out of my fingers with her mouth and scurries back in the pouch. It's too funny. The other night during tent time I had the mealie containor open on the floor. She literally dove her big head into the containor grabbing as many as she could and in the meantime tipping it over!! She had all that brown dusty stuff on her face lol. Sooo cute!

Minmor719- I would be one of those people that still would have bought them! Because they are so cute and I knew ahead of time they would be a lot of work. But, I love them! Even after 2 tail amputations and three months of back to back feedings I wouldn't trade my girls for the world. But, I think a lot of those people that buy them wouldn't. That's why they turn up so frequently in the rescues and craigslist right after PPP has been around. I read countless posts on craigslist about people selling them because they didn't have the time for them. They bought them from PPP and automatically thought they would bond in less than 2 weeks, never stink, easy to manage, don't bite etc, etc. This definitely turns out to not be the case and sadly not everyone looks on the internet to get the right information.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 08:40 PM

Do they just travel everywhere? I hope they never end up in my area, because I would have to be physically removed. I would be writing from jail if they ever came around. I have never even heard of this place until I signed up here and now I see what awful people they actually are. How do they down and go to sleep at night? exclamation

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 09:09 PM

We didn't buy from PPP but we did get sucked into the mill breeder fiasco. I know first hand how devastating it is to be lied to about a glider only to find out I was lied to. Gliders aren’t as simple as mills make them sound and people need to know that before buying one. Thank goodness for GC! And now that we have our own Joey, I do know how early Sugar was taken away from her parents.

I don’t know how they sleep at night either. It just makes me so sick!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 09:19 PM

Is sugar gliders r us the same company as PPP or different? they seem the same...

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 10:32 PM

I think they are different companies.
Posted By: Flgliderlover

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 10:35 PM

Custom Cage Works sounds the same too . . . got virtually the same pack of lies - easy to care for, feed the hard pellets with the vitamin and calcium sprinkled over the top, etc. Oh, and if you don't want them to smell funky just don't ever give them protein! Gimme a break! I'm so very thankful I found GC. And my awesome suggies are thankful, too.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 10:36 PM

oops i guess what i replied to was on another page

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/11/08 11:10 PM

ok i dont really know anything about pocket pets or anything, but i keep seeing horrible posts about them and i can't belive the stuff i hear! They totally deserve to be shut down, isn't there anyone that can? like an animal cruelty institution or something?? poor gliders frown

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 12:18 AM

I'll tell you, if my acting career works out, and I do become famous I'll expose these guys for the evil little cowardly creeps they are! tant

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 01:00 AM

Unfortunately, CCW, Gliders R Us, etc are all different companies. However, PPP purchases their joeys from TX and apparently from either Mike or the guys at CCW. So technically they are the same pond scum, just a different pond.......

You guys bring up something I've been saying all along....people would STILL buy their joeys even if they God forbid, told people the truth about their care! People are roped in by the cuteness, and who wouldn't be? But I don't think people plop down $380 for an animal they have no intention of caring for...if PPP and others like them would actually give people the proper information on glider care, they'd still make a ton of money.

Alia...my vet said she couldn't give me the information on the gliders she's treated, but if I can get Angel to call her and give her permission to give it out, she'd be more than happy to. Also, I warned her that PPP had been in town this weekend so she's going to start documenting where the gliders are coming from and the diagnosis. She will ask the owners if she can use their case information to help us document cases and she's going to speak to the other vet in this area that cares for gliders.

I'm going to post on Hoobly and Craigslist tonight and notify anyone who purchased this weekend that I can reach, that if they find themselves unable to care for the joeys to contact me for help in placing them!!! You should do the same in your area every time you come into contact with them cuz I found out this weekend that when they left our fair in August, someone let the joey go outside because they hated it!!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 01:27 AM

Maybe they are afraid of telling the truth. If they told people how complex they were less people would impulse buy. More people would want to go home and study before buying them. Maybe then they would realize they were getting ripped off on price and wouldn't buy from them.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 01:55 AM

Yes i found them the emails both of my girls were sick one bigger than the other didnt have on email from mall i actually went to the mall looking for them they were gone I will try to print out do you have a fax number you can pm me with it

thanks for all you are doing
luddedi

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 02:23 AM

hey i just wanted to let all of you know that i agree. i got mine from there and thank goodness i love animals! i had no clue. that is terrible what they are doing to those poor things. well if it helps, i made friends with them and i still can't beleive they lied to my face. i can't stand them after knowing what they do! i have there number and i am thinking about calling and going off.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:03 AM

Can one of their "members" print out some of their documentation regarding feeding peptol, etc? My vet would love a gander at it.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:06 AM

Yes, is anyone still able to log into there "family" portion of the site? I would be interested in knowing what information they keep there.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:23 AM

Can one of their "members" print out some of their documentation regarding feeding peptol, etc? My vet would love a gander at it.

I have an email with that very info about the pepto even though I am not allowed in the family circle I have that email and all the others that are posted in the family circle! Just tell me where to send it!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:28 AM

If your interested in the information about this formula please PM me.
Thank you.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:32 AM

Oh and I love this part of almost every email too again Quoted from their own family circle email sent from them :

For example, we get FAR TOO MANY frantic emails and calls from new parents, saying things like: "Help, my baby is throwing up"...or "has severe diahrrea"..etc..etc.. In almost EVERY case when we dig into what's happening, these well-meaning moms/dads got some CRAZY information off some credible-LOOKING website that told them Gliders LOVE this kind of food - or that kind of food - and that it's fine to feed it to them at any age. The problem is that by the time they figure out they got BAD advice, their little baby's digestive system is all out of whack - and it could easily die in less than a day or two.

Bottom line... PLEASE stick to the diet we lay out for you in the audio CD FOR AT LEAST THE FIRST SIX WEEKS - and you're little darling(s) will get off to a GREAT start :-)

-------------------------------------------------
And why is it really that you get so many frantic emails? Well most likely because 1. your diet isn't really a complete diet with protein and all that (not diet bashing I am sure its ok for some just from my own experience and what 2 vets have told me) 2. all of your animals are sick when you sell them and 3. You tell them to give their little darlings pepto bismol!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:33 AM

This is just wrong on so many levels!

Giardia is a parasite and pepto is NOT going to get rid of it! No wonder they have so many ill and dying/dead joeys. How very very sad.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:34 AM

wow I feel a little better almost like the best Birthday present I can give myself... to rant and back it up!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 04:04 AM

OMGosh, I can't WAIT to forward that to my vet for her to pick apart and analyze!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 05:01 AM

I know my vet did! He had a stinkin field day when I brought all the info. It took him about half a second to nearly be sick over that and a ton of other stuff that they gave me that was SO wrong! It's truly very very sad that they think its ok to do this to innocent defenseless critters.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 02:12 PM

Well I will be very happy when I receive that! Definitely giving that to the fair board man! I will probably hand deliver everything and spend half the day explaining with proof why they shouldn't be allowed.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:04 PM

Is there anyway to find where these people will strike next? I would love to know when they would be in the TN area! At one point in time(many moons ago), there was a booth at a local Flea Market that sold gliders. I don't recall a name but I do remember when we'd go to the Flea Market, normally after Church around 2-3pm, the gliders would be awake and in their cages or attached to the sellers by a tiny leash. At the time I didn't know how WRONG this was but now looking back on it I wish I had! I remember being fed the same lies that everyone else has heard about the gliders(easy to take care of, don't bite, don't this, or that), and I was probably about 14 or so at the time(22 now) and Thank God for my mother not allowing me to get them or I probably would have been as overwhelmed as most people on here.
I will say, 'thank goodness" for GC, because if I went on what I was told then,now, I would have def had a hard itme owning a glider. These people need to be stopped before Gliders end up like all these other exploited animals! It's truly an outrage.
-Sorry to vent but I feel so strongly about these magnificent creatures-

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:22 PM

Alia, be sure to make multiple copies! Keep at least one for yourself so you have it! You are doing a WONDERFUL thing for all the gliders! My hat's off to you!

Jen

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:40 PM

You can always go to their website and click contact them and say you are interested in puchasing one of their babies and say will you be in my area anytime soon?

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 03:42 PM

SugMom2B, you should check out the thread about What makes a Glider Mill? I think you'd be very interested to read about the TN flea market vendor......Yes, they have a big thing for leashes. One of my friends rescued a glider from them that had a leash IMBEDDED in her neck!!!

I had a nice long talk with my vet yesterday. I think anyone who has seen Pocket Pets at their fairs, etc., should notify their vet about the chances of Giardia, etc. and ask them to be on the look out for case studies that we can use against them. They'll have to get permission from the owners to use the case studies, but I am pretty sure that any owner who is trying to save their gliders life is going to allow that info to be used.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 05:40 PM

I will check that out. It just angers me that people can get away with stuff like this. It's 2008 for heaven's sake! I am going to get on their website and see if I can get them to respond to me and let me know when they will be in TN.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 06:15 PM

Just a note to everyone, I don't know about Pepto, but Kaopectate is NOT safe to give to sugar gliders anymore. They changed their formula a couple of years back and it now contains aspirin...under no circumstances should it be used. thumb

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/12/08 09:08 PM

Isnt what they're doing technically practicing veterinary medicine without a license? I mean, they're not vets, who are they to diagnose and give out remedies??

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/13/08 12:04 AM

I don't know if it would be categorized as practicing veterinary medicine without a license because it is an over the counter medicine, BUT I'm sure it falls under them suggesting to use kaopectate and pepto against the directions on the bottle. You know, "Use only as directed." It may be under veterinary medicine, though. You'd probably have to ask a lawyer.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/13/08 02:07 AM

Well, they're saying you don't need a vet and yet they're diagnosing and prescribing medication for Giardia whether it's over the counter meds or not I don't think they have any business treating an animal for Giardia or otherwise.

I know how they could fix that problem though..you know, sell HEALTHY joeys.....nahhhhh that'll never happen.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/13/08 04:40 AM

they were in TN during Christmas. that is where i got mine. i can't stand them now b/c of what they do. i have their number.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/13/08 06:01 AM

I just finished reading this entire thread and I just want yall to know that yall are amazing for helping these animals that can't help themselves. gliders everywhere have angels looking after them! Keep up the incredible work and good luck. Let me know if I can help at all!

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/15/08 06:39 PM

Im in TN too and one of my babies is a "rescue" from someone who bought from them (PPP). they sold about 300 joeys (prob underage) and they were about $400 each. this included a cage that is too small, a heating rock, and pellet food tant
if there is any way we can get them shut down, let me know b/c id be more than happy to try and help.
Next time they are in TN we need to get alot of glider owners together and have a booth next to them telling the truth about gliders. Or just try to keep them from coming back at all

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/16/08 03:34 PM

Well the problem is that they can afford to do way more than we can. At our show this weekend alone the booths were over $900 for the weekend. BUT you should get the person you got your rescue baby from to write up their experience and why they ended up rehoming their glider, etc., so we can add it to our documentation. It's really important to note how many people buy on impulse and then put them up for adoption. We hear of so many, but there are probably triple that amount who never even show up on the boards.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/16/08 06:58 PM

could we not just make posters and stand outside the booth or outside the building, warning people and telling them the truth. i wouldn't mind standing in front of the booth and everytime someone walks up i would just tell them about what they are really doing.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/16/08 07:05 PM

you can't do that. You can't go to their booth. You can buy a booth at the same flea market.

Or you can stand outside the flea market - but it has to be a certain distance from the door.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/16/08 07:14 PM

the thing is, they don't do flea markets. if they are going to be anywhere, they are going to be at big shows and conventions and at malls and stuff. they tell everyone not to buy thir gliders at flea markets, so if they are at a mall or something, we could just act like we are interested, stand in the back of the crowd, and tell people that are coming up what they are doing and that they are just trying to rip them off, that they lie about the gliders just to make money.

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/16/08 07:54 PM

They will have you escorted out by police. Been done.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Pocket Pets (I'm in tears!) - 03/16/08 09:05 PM

Read Part 2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL