GliderCENTRAL

Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list

Posted By: thefotokat

Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 01:17 AM

I'd like to get together some ideas of what every rescuer should know and have...sort of like a mental emergency kit. Things like quarantine procedures, best food/nutrients for ill gliders, etc. Suggestions?
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 01:21 AM

Well, based on a recent loss by one of our members, I would say you must have:

1. More than one emergency vet you can see in an emergency

also, you need

2. Sub-q kit
3. e-collar kit

And, someone you can contact for sitting and emergency purposes.
Posted By: USMom

Re: Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 01:22 AM

Well, the things I do everytime are:

Yogurt the first two nights

Ask the people bringing them to me not to wash their stuff, they need their previous smells

Gosh, I don't know about the rest, I leave them alone for a day or so, but watch them. Treat them like the other gliders.

I look at their nails as quickly as possible. Schedule a vet visit, keep them out of the glider room for 30 days. I just mostly treat them like everyone else.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 01:27 AM

let's see - emergency #s, vet #s, signs and symptoms to look for in case of illness, glider's info (age, weights, color, maybe a pic, etc), any history on each glider that would be pertinent for later vet visits, diet info, treat info, SM info, ecollar instructions and template (maybe a little pocket divider with the supplies in it?... that's all I can think of right now dunno
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 01:39 AM

Signs and symptoms of stress and how a glider may react to stress.

Signs and symptoms of illness.

Signs and symptoms of self mutilation.

How to tell gender.
If male, how to tell if they are neutered.
If female, how to tell if they have joeys ip.

Names and phone numbers of other rescuers or experienced owners you can call for advice/suggestions.

General knowledge of different common meds such as Torb, Baytril, etc...and what they are used for.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 02:09 AM

A rescuer should know that any glider that comes into the house gets an immediate vet visit for a well check and have a fecal float and smear done to check for illnesses and parasites.

They should also know that a glider goes into a 30 day quarantine even if the vet check shows nothing, no exceptions.

They should be prepared to handle any situation that may arise and be equipped with an ecollar and know how to use it.

Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 12:16 PM

A rescuer should also know that any glider that comes into their home CANNOT be used for breeding and should go home with a NO BREEDING CONTRACT, if female or NEUTERED if male.

Would think this goes without saying, but I know at least one 'rescue' that was sold with the comment that it would be okay to bred her. shakehead Poor baby...
Posted By: USMom

Re: Want ideas for "what rescuers should know" list - 04/09/08 08:05 PM

Okay, I have to argue semantics here, just because I do. Every glider owner should know/do those things. Not just rescuers.

Its like how do you raise an adopted kid versus your own? Um....the same, with allowances for issues. If my kid has diabetes and the adopted kid has add, they are treated differently. But the same otherwise.

Off my box now....slinks away....
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL