GliderCENTRAL

What do you think about shipping gliders?

Posted By: Anonymous

What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/17/09 03:43 PM

We have done our research and are now on to the purchase phase? Most of the sugar gliders I am finding are quite a distance from my home. What do you all think about shipping joeys?

I found a website that looked promising. Are there any breeders that you all have encountered that I should stay away from?

Thanks for everyone's input!
Posted By: Donnarae

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/17/09 08:55 PM

Have you checked out the price of shipping a glider? It is pretty steep, but I haven't heard any problems with it.

Check through some of the posts on here for comments about or by your breeder.

I would be looking for someone closer that you could visit and see their gliders. Even an 8 hr drive and overnight stay in a motel would give me more peace of mind just to see how the gliders were cared for and how tame they were.

INMHO
Posted By: konotashi

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/17/09 09:27 PM

Shipping gliders is nearly 100% safe (I say nearly because nothing is 100%) if done right. smile
I'd suggest having several testimonials from people who have previously bought gliders from whoever you're planning to get a glider from. Don't always trust what's on their site. Talk to other customers on the PHONE. Not e-mail, because some 'bad' breeders could get so desperate that they'll make extra e-mail accounts for this purpose.

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/17/09 10:21 PM

We have family about an hour from the lady selling the sugar gliders. My husband's aunt offered to check the place out and is going to call us while she's there. We may decide to take the trip to pick them up because the shipping charge is about $300.

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/17/09 10:58 PM

Shipping is expensive. I've had quite a few of my gliders shipped to me and I've shipped gliders twice. I've never had a problem yet, but I take extra precaution.

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/18/09 02:53 AM

I would never do it... I went local... I just hear so many bad things about animals not just suggies getting shipped.I see how the reptiles at my work are shipped and I am like awww no way!
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/18/09 03:02 AM

I have had many gliders shipped to me and they all arrived safe and sound. It should only be about $175 tho, and price does not increase if more than one is shipped.

It's always better if they have a travel companion smile
Posted By: reeny

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/18/09 03:02 AM

I have had all my suggies shipped. They were all absolutely fine. I think Continental does a very good job. I had one glider Lucas shipped from Indiana via Delta. Things didn't go exactly perfect but he was fine.
I just shipped one of my joeys and she was perfectly fine. If they are packed safely and the weather is good and the carrier is responsible everything should be fine.
Posted By: konotashi

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/18/09 04:42 AM

I had Atreyu shipped in on Delta, and it cost around $200. I know shipping can be a bit pricey, but I think $300 is a bit too high unless the breeder has to drive a few hours to the airport or something.
Posted By: Jennifer_Maaske

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/18/09 02:33 PM

yes shipping is expensive.

but I'd rather pay more to buy from a trusted breeder rather then save a couple of 100 and buy from a shady breeder.

I'm lucky enough to live within driving distance of several great breeders, but not everyone is that lucky.

I have shipped gliders on many occasions and not had a problem.

I just had a pair shipped to me and they arrived not even stressed out! They were not crabby or anything.

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/18/09 08:55 PM

Thanks for all of your posts. I think we have decided to have the two joeys shipped. Provided that my husband's aunt okays the joeys when she visits them in two weeks. The woman shipping them did mention that they normally use Continental. It looks like we will be brand new sugar glider parents by the beginning of June. We are sooooooo excited!!! I think I'm more excited than my kiddos!!

I'm sure I will have more questions as we set up a cage and when they finally arrive.
Posted By: Jennifer_Maaske

Re: What do you think about shipping gliders? - 04/19/09 02:28 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL