GliderCENTRAL

Live birth in my hands!!!

Posted By: msparks

Live birth in my hands!!! - 10/16/06 02:40 PM

I just witnessed a live birth!!! Lilly had two while I was holding her. My question is, the other two are only 3 weeks out of pouch. Can they still nurse off her???
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Live birth in my hands!!! - 10/16/06 02:45 PM

Congratulations on your babies! clap

Re: Live birth in my hands!!! - 10/16/06 02:47 PM

Thank you!!!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Live birth in my hands!!! - 10/16/06 02:51 PM

How exciting! You are so lucky to have had the rare opportunity to see a live birth.
Yes, the older joeys will be able to continue to nurse from her. Marsupials have the advantage of being able to produce two different types of milk at the same time. The young joeys will receive the type of milk that they need developmentally from the teats they are attached to and the other teats will produce the milk the older joeys need laugh
Posted By: 1daddyglider1

Re: Live birth in my hands!!! - 10/16/06 02:51 PM

yes the others can still nurse although mom may start a little early with babies tasting food. what an honor that mom trusts to birth with you. i have females that have nursed four joeys two out and two in pouch. my moms seem to push new joeys down on bottom teats we think as she will stick her head way in pouch so other joeys can nurse on top. you have back to back joeys so keep up on extra protein and extra of everything to compensate for mom feeding four. enjoy and congrads

Re: Live birth in my hands!!! - 10/17/06 12:46 AM

I've keep having to put her by herself because she gets really fussing when Leaha and Leo try to nurse. She lets them, but fusses at them.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL