GliderCENTRAL

Taking joeys from parents

Posted By: GregCranston1

Taking joeys from parents - 11/26/07 10:38 AM

I have 2 joeys (both male) that are coming up to 6 weeks OOP on friday(OOP 10/19/2007). So I know most people say they should stay with the parents till 8 weeks OOP or even longer. I was wondering if people think it is ok to maybe take them a little earlier say at day 50 or 51 OOP? I have been handling them daily since 30 days OOP, but it is a constant battle with their untame mother, and everyone gets a little upset sometimes, including me. She always crabs and bites at me (I where gloves) when I reach into the nest box to take her babies, well first I take her out, but yeah I just wanna take them away in about 2 weeks if it isn't going to harm them too much.
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: Taking joeys from parents - 11/26/07 11:25 AM

People don't always realize this, but although they will be weaned at this time, these last two weeks will be crucial for them growing up to be normal gliders. Right now they will learn to *be* gliders, and it would be very selfish to take that away from them.

I strongly suggest that you work on taming the parents if you are going to continue to allow them to breed. It's probably lucky that she didn't cannibalize or reject them this time, with a big scary human that she doesn't trust handling them.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Taking joeys from parents - 11/26/07 01:04 PM

Greg,
It really would be best for the joeys if you wait until they are the full 8 weeks out of pouch before separating them. They DO still nurse from the mother until that time (later, if allowed) and don't get all of their nourishment from the regular food yet. Plus, as Hollis said, they are still learning how to "be" a glider from their parents.
I'm sorry it's so stressful for you with trying to handle the joeys when the mother is still so wild, but it's in the joeys' best interest to stay with her for the full 8 weeks.
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Taking joeys from parents - 11/26/07 02:12 PM

I agree, 8 weeks is the earliest they can leave mom & dad. and there is a difference. I have noticed between a joey left until only 8 weeks and a joey left for longer.
The result I have seen in my joeys is the longer a joey can stay with mom & dad the bigger & healthier, better the joey. I don't remove my joeys until they have found thier new home (or they need to be because of reaching sexual maturity) and I have noticed the joeys with mom & dad longer just seem more secure and confident with themselves. I hope that makes sense. It's hard to describe.
But please do not remove a joey until they are at least 8 week OOP and show they are ready.
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Taking joeys from parents - 11/26/07 04:03 PM

I ALWAYS keep my joeys with their parents as long as possible (8-10 weeks). One time I had to pull two joeys at 7 weeks because mom and dad were fighting and joeys were obviously in stress. The joeys ended up healthy and luckly had been weened all ready but they were a oddballs behavior wise.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Taking joeys from parents - 11/26/07 04:17 PM

While I am not a breeder (just a slave to 3 gliders) - I would suggest that you continue doing what you have been doing for the last six weeks to allow the babies to be with mom as long as possible..... it is just fourteen more days and few more scratches. thumb thumb
Posted By: GregCranston1

Re: Taking joeys from parents - 11/26/07 11:35 PM

Thanks guys for your advice, I really appreciate and value your help. I will leave them with their parents till at least 8 weeks OOP, maybe even a day or 2 longer. I couldn't wait any longer though i'm afraid, I really wanna be able to start all-day bonding such as carrying them around in a pouch all day on me, etc. I really enjoy my time with them of an evening, except the occasional scuffle with their mother when taking them out. I think they have almost outgrown my bathroom as a play spot now though, I'll have to graduate them up to tent-time and get some toys in there!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Taking joeys from parents - 11/27/07 12:09 PM

Greg,
You've made a wise decision! You can start to do tent time at any time now with them. You can also put them in the bonding pouch during the daytime for an hour or two at a time now with no harm, but no longer than that as they will need to be fed by their mother.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL