GliderCENTRAL

Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna)

Posted By: Anonymous

Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/22/07 02:55 PM

Well, when Brodey died, he left Lively alone to raise a almost OOP joey. Well, this baby came OOP Thursday (10/18). Since the baby came OOP, Lively has seemed kind of distraught and has been acting like she's searching for Brodey (breaks my heart).

Well, yesterday morning, she managed to escape her cage (I assume that she was looking for Brodey) and left her 2 day OOP baby all alone in the cage! As soon as I found the baby all alone, I took him, warmed him up, and fed him some ensure...

Then it occurred to me that Vanity has 2 OOP babies, maybe I can hold her still and let the baby nurse off of her. Vanna's a pretty tolerant glider and never minds me holding her, so this seemed like a reasonable idea... Well, I let the baby nurse and Vanna started making sweet little clicks at the baby. Slowly, I loosened my grip on her and she bent over, sniffed the baby, and then started cleaning him! The little boy stayed with Vanna all day until Lively came out from wherever it was she was hiding (I looked everywhere for her, I have no clue where she was hiding...). Lively took the little boy back like it was the most natural thing ever. So, now everything is back to normal smile

Thanks to Vanity, this little boy is alive and no worse for wear despite what could have been a horrible tragedy. I think I'm going to let Vanna babysit the joey for about an hour every day to give Lively a break...

I love my Vanity heart

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/22/07 03:00 PM

I just wanted to ad that Vanity and Lively do know eachother. They lived together in a colony along with a few of my other gliders at one point in time... I don't think they have seen eachother in probably 2 years though. I don't know if Vanity allowed this to happen because she recognized the scent on the baby or if it's just because Vanity is such a sweet girl...

I would never suggest that anybody try this with their gliders. I just know how gentle Vanity is and I trusted her not to hurt the baby... I never expected her to actually take it in for the day and care for it.
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/22/07 03:04 PM

Awww I am so glad this worked for you Leyna. That would break my heart too!!

Anna

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/22/07 03:43 PM

That is so sweet Leyna. I also have one girl, Dee that I would trust with any joey and she has taken care of 2 others. But like Leyna said please do not do this, it is very risky and could end very tragic frown
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/22/07 10:10 PM

My Bittah also adopted Allira when she was rejected by Mareki... although it is rare, it does happen upon occassion heart And, to add my warning to Leyna & Sil's: "Don't try this at home!" roflmao
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/22/07 10:32 PM

Will switching the baby back and forth be really stressful on the substitute mom, tho? How about the two mom's being cagemates again so there won't be repeated separation, or would that not work? (A baby expert I am NOT-just seems like it'd be stressful on at least one of them)

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/23/07 03:08 AM

There is no way I would put another gliders joeys near Lively... I have no doubt in my mind that she would kill them.

Lively is a single mom, her mate passed away a few weeks ago... Vanity on the other hand has not only her mate, but her older daughter helping her out with her 2 little ones. So, she has a pretty light load... I seperate her out and keep her in a bonding pouch while I have her baby sit, becasue I don't trust her cage mates with the baby. So far so good. She doesn't seem to mind babysitting (probably because of all the treats she gets while she's in the pouch) and Vanity seems to really appriciate the break.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/23/07 03:07 PM

That's awesome she'll help with the other joey...I wasn't sure what the situation was. I hope things continue going well with these two. Dad doesn't seem to mind, either I guess...at least you know the other mom will take her if the real mom just can't handle it-she really must miss her mate, poor baby. My mom didn't take her mate's death well, either, though her joeys are still with her, and older when he died, she misses him still.

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/25/07 12:14 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Brodey but I'm glad the story had such a happy ending when Lively was missing. I hate it when a glider is missing, luckily I've always found mine at night when they come out but I've never lost one that has a joey! That was so good of Vanna to take the baby in like she did!

Re: Temporary Surrogate (reason #287 why I love Vanna) - 10/25/07 12:47 PM

I've been toying with re-introducing Vanna and Lively the past few days. They went into a pouch together with no crabbing (I had the babies with me)... I know Vanna's okay with the babies, now, I just need to figure out if Lively is... Maybe I can put them together smile I'm so excited, that would be the most awesome thing ever to have Vanity and Lively together...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL