GliderCENTRAL

Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change)

Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/04/09 11:48 AM

It was recently brought to my attention that flavored Pedialyte (and other brands of electrolyte replacers) ALL have sucralose in them now tant Therefore, to keep our joeys safe & healthy, I have changed the recipe for my Joey Formula, as follows:
Originally Posted By: Suz' Joey Formula Recipe
Mix the following ingredients together until very smooth:
  • 1.5 Tbsp. unflavored* Pedialyte -or- Gerber's Liquilyte
  • 0.5 Tbsp. Apple Juice
  • 1/2 tsp. Gliderade -or- Lorikeet Nectar powder (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. Brisky’s Booster Milk (-or- Wambaroo® Possum Milk Replacer -or- Esbilac puppy formula) powder
  • 1 tsp.** dry baby cereal
**This amount is for a “newborn” joey.
  • For a Premature joey, eliminate the cereal entirely.
  • For a 2 - 4 weeks o.o.p. joey, increase the baby cereal to 1 1/2 tsp.
  • For a 4 - 6 weeks o.o.p. joey, increase the baby cereal to 2 tsp.
  • For a 6 - 8 weeks o.o.p. joey, increase the baby cereal to 1 Tbsp.
*3/01/09: Please note that flavored electrolyte replacers now contain the artificial sweetener Sucralose. Therefore, the recipe has changed to use only UNFLAVORED Pedialyte or Liquilyte.

Please also note that IF you are using Pedialyte for any other use with your gliders, you will want to make sure you use only UNFLAVORED Pedialyte from now on!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/04/09 12:01 PM

Thank you Suz for the update. We always have pedialyte in our house. I keep it on hand for not only the kids but the gliders.
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/04/09 12:39 PM

thanks suz!!!!!!!
Posted By: Nikki

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/04/09 01:12 PM

Thanks Suz. I will update my book right now and send it to Karen to put on the TGI site.
Posted By: sugeebaby

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/04/09 02:31 PM

It has been updated on the TGI site too. Thank-you

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/07/09 04:31 AM

What effects would it have on a baby glider if they have been feed pedialyte with that in it. My glider that Iam handfeeding is 7 weeks old and I had a problem wih him getting dehydrated, I just stoped putting pedialyte inhis formula about a week or two ago and it has that ingredent.

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/07/09 12:36 PM

I don't think you have to worry about any long term side effects from having used it up to this point. My concern is with using it in tiny, just oop joeys. We just don't know what the effects of artificial sweeteners would be on their systems. We don't recommend them for adult gliders, so to me it is even more important for tiny joeys. Since your joey is healthy and has been off of it for a couple of weeks, all should be fine thumb

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/08/09 01:34 AM

I was just wondering because my glider has been having problems where he cannot pee and the vet has been working to find out what is wrong with him. I did not know if all the sugar could affect him somehow.

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/08/09 11:30 AM

No, I don't think the Pedialyte is a factor in the problem you're experiencing, but it wouldn't hurt to mention it to the vet just so he has full knowledge. Hope you find a resolution soon hug2

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/10/09 10:49 AM

BUMP wink
Posted By: DeeDancer

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/10/09 12:42 PM

Ugghhh, glad you bumped this Suz because I didn't notice it until now. Thanks for the info!

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/15/09 04:23 PM

Glad you posted this information Suz! It took me a while to find this post but, I'm glad I did.

Wanda F

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/15/09 05:10 PM

I always keep the clear pedialyte on hand, Not just for gliders but kids. When my kids were little they would not use any other flavored pedialyte. If they needed it I would mix a tiny tiny tiny bit of apple juice to make my own apple pedialyte. I have tasted the stuff and it is HORRIBLE.

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/17/09 10:52 AM

I am hand feeding a joey right now (for Denise/minkasmom) while his mother recovers from a tail injury. I had to give him straight Pedialyte for a while and the flavor did not seem to phase him at all. BUT, I agree, if flavoring is needed, adding 0.5 Tbsp. of apple juice to 1.5 Tbsp. of unflavored Pedialyte should do the trick thumb
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Pedialyte Warning (& Recipe Change) - 03/19/09 02:53 PM

I am just now aware of this too. Thanks Suz! thumb
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL