GliderCENTRAL

"Official" sugar glider color site?

Posted By: Anonymous

"Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 12:15 AM

As some of you may know I am doing some research into the difference between WF normal/grey and WF blonde. I am trying to figure out for sure what color my WF gliders are. I posted pics of them and received some different answers. Previous to posting I viewed many different suggie color pages and they weren't real consistant either. I am wondering now if there may be an "official site" that has suggie colors. I'm not talking about a breeders site but maybe an .org site where the info is without a doubt accurate? There doesn't seem to be a real clear cut answer to this so I'm just trying to figure out what I can. Thanks so much!! thanks
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 01:50 AM

Dez,
Although that would be a great resource, I don't think there's any such official site available. The thing is that gliders are still relatively "new" pets, so there's not a lot of "official" information about them in any regards. Research on gliders has been nominal to date, and we're still learning new things every day...
Sorry I couldn't direct you to what you're looking for. I'd have to say that Judie & Sheila are probably the "experts" on glider colors at this point...I'm sure there are others, too, but those are the two names that pop into my mind first when I think of colored gliders and breeding dunno

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 03:28 AM

wave Hi Suz,
I was hoping there may be something out there. dunno This whole WFB WFN/G thing still has me confused. Thanks!

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 04:05 AM

http://www.thepetglider.com/index/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=40&catid=1

is a great site to learn about different colored gliders

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 04:16 AM

Thanks, but I've already looked at that one. I actually think that may have been one of the sites that doesn't even mention WF normals/greys. I just looked again and couldn't find them on there...only WFB.
Posted By: petsugargliders

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 10:16 AM

http://www.petsugargliders.com/sgcolors.php
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 11:46 AM

Thanks Jennifer! I should have thought of your site right away cuz it's always so informative about everything grin Maybe this site will give you the information you're looking for Dez? dunno

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 08:21 PM

Do you have grays? Can you compair your grays next to your wf... do they look different or the same?

I wish there were an "Offical" color site because that would clear up so many things in most colors. But no one seems to want to get together and create one.

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/05/07 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: petsugargliders
http://www.petsugargliders.com/sgcolors.php

Oh, I like that! You actually have the gray, blonde and champagne all next to eachother for comparison!! smile
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/06/07 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: sil
Do you have grays? Can you compair your grays next to your wf... do they look different or the same?

I wish there were an "Offical" color site because that would clear up so many things in most colors. But no one seems to want to get together and create one.

Send me one of each color and I'll take care of the official page wink
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/06/07 12:27 AM

I really like that you have "normal" next to the color variations, too, Jennifer.

Any chance someone could do that with a Black Beauty? I want to see a Black Beauty next to a Standard.

And a Buttercream, for that matter!

And, the ringtail that is on your site, Jennifer -that is a GORGEOUS glider!
Posted By: petsugargliders

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/06/07 01:04 AM

Several have tried to make an "official page" of colors. I believe it was Leyna a few years ago that actually ran a survey among the sugar glider community to get a general consensus of what people within the sugar glider community thought about colors and color definitions. I also had one for the longest time that actually went as far as to have coat color samples and stripe samples to help determine colors that was part of the PSG database. For those that don't know, the PSG database is a pedigree site for registering your sugar glider lines. I ended up taking down the page when some owners/breeders disputed various color terms and definitions. The problem is no matter how hard you try, most breeders/owners will not agree on some color terms, or what is and isn't a color. Some breeders insist black beauty is a color all of it's own. Ask another about it, and they will say it is just a shade of gray. Then there are always those owner/breeders that believe they are nothing more than a gray sugar glider. Of coarse there is the opposite problem too. You run into owners/breeders that will give color names given to any shade of sugar glider to improve marketability. Then there is the politics side of all this. Who exactly is it that "names" the colors, or has the right to say what "is" or "isn't" a color. That is why you will see various sugar glider breeder pages with "color" pages, and often times they won't agree or will have completely different descriptions of the same color.

I am all for an official page of variation. I think it would be very helpful for the sugar glider community in general. smile

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/06/07 02:01 AM

Quote:
Send me one of each color and I'll take care of the official page

I think the problem that we run into, like Jennifer said, is that there is no general consensus as to what colors are what and the pages that are out there are all through breeders. I have looked over so many "color" pages on different sites and they really do vary. I would love to know for sure what to call my two WF's but I just can't find a for sure answer. I do plan on breeding them and I also want to be able to sell them correctly as a WF grey or WF blonde when they do have joeys.

Quote:
I believe it was Leyna a few years ago that actually ran a survey among the sugar glider community to get a general consensus of what people within the sugar glider community thought about colors and color definitions. I also had one for the longest time that actually went as far as to have coat color samples and stripe samples to help determine colors that was part of the PSG database.

I think this would be a wonderful idea and I think it is NEEDED! I am new to gliders myself as I just adopted my first one at the beginning of October of last year but I would love to help in any way I can as I am planning on breeding and think there needs to be a an "official" color page done by people that are not bias.

Posted By: BeckiT

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/06/07 02:11 AM

No Dez, I meant send me a glider in each color roflmao (can ya blame me for trying? lol)

I will do a color page though, although I only have 3 colors (grey, bb and champagne), so not sure how much I can do dunno

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/06/07 02:54 AM

duplicate post...just ignore...this is just not my night! Lol!

Re: "Official" sugar glider color site? - 03/06/07 02:55 AM

*smacks forehead*
Okay I see now Becki! I'm such a dork sometimes. HeHe! roflmao
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL