GliderCENTRAL

Question on the WF Gene?

Posted By: Anonymous

Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 05:46 AM

Ok, I get that if you breed a WF to a standard your outcome is a 1st gen. That is if the baby carries the WF gene.
Where does all the .5 and the .75 and all the points come from?!
I have a girl who came from a 2nd Gen and a Dark Cinnie. I am going to put her in with my lion.
Will their WF babies be 1st gen. or 1.5?
Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 07:03 AM

Ok, Is your little girl a WF glider herself? If so and if your Lion glider is not a WF Lion, then their baby will be a 1st gen. if it comes OOP WF. If neither glider are White Faces then you won't have the WF glider. If both gliders are WF's them depends on their lineage on what generation you will have.

Anita heart

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 07:09 AM

Yes, she is a WF. My lion glider is not. So there babies would be 1st gen.

Can you explain the .5?

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 07:10 AM

Is it when you have maybe a 1st gen and a 2nd gen then their babies would be 2.5?
Posted By: SugarBaby22

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 07:33 AM

I think so.. because if you breed a 2nd generation to a 3rd generation.. the joeys will be 3.5 generations. smile
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 12:33 PM

Quote:
because if you breed a 2nd generation to a 3rd generation.. the joeys will be 3.5 generations.

I thought you would only have 2.5 joeys in this case scenario??

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 03:03 PM

No because a 2nd Gen. and a 2nd Gen. would be a 3rd Gen. so a 2nd Gen. and a 3rd Gen. would be a 3.5 Gen. I guess I don't really get all the gen. stuff but I do know that at least. smile

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Srlb
Quote:
because if you breed a 2nd generation to a 3rd generation.. the joeys will be 3.5 generations.

I thought you would only have 2.5 joeys in this case scenario??

No...I THINK...it would be a 3rd (3.0) because the next gen would automatically be a 3..and you only get the .5 if the back generations dont have all 4 parents being WF...Right???

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 03:17 PM

Quote:
No...I THINK...it would be a 3rd (3.0) because the next gen would automatically be a 3..and you only get the .5 if the back generations dont have all 4 parents being WF...Right???

I'm confused by your answer Kris? dunno Can you explain? A 3.5 has more generations of WF's than a 3.0.

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 03:25 PM

OK....To get a .5 1 or 2( we dont use .25 or .75) so we give up to 2 ... of the 4 back grandparents must be something other than a WF..So if you have a 2nd gen Wf...her parnets were both wf....and he is a 3rd both his parnets where wf and all 4 of his grandparents where Wf...so there are no .5 so when you have a 2.0 and a 3.0 you can only take the next generation from the lowest parent in the case a 2nd so you add their generation joey as a 3...You can't add a .5 because there are no .5......see????

Did that make since???

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 04:03 PM

Quote:
Can you explain the .5?

1st gen = 1wf + gray
2nd gen = both parents have WF
2.5 gen = both parents WF and up to 2 out of the 4 WF grandparents
3rd gen = both wf parents and ALL 4 Wf grandparents
3.5 gen = both Wf parents and ALL 4 WF grandparents with up to 4 of the 8 great grand parents being WF
4th gen = both Wf parents and ALL 4 WF grandparents and ALL 8 WF great grandparents.

You can only go up to the next Generation when ALL family members has only White Faces....

Posted By: Srlb

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 04:41 PM

Ok I have a headache now and my eyes are crossed....Glad I dont have to worry about all that stuff!

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 06:46 PM

Ok, then I think if it made your head hurt..I might have explained it right.... smile
Posted By: fliptout

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 06:54 PM

ok i have a 4th generation wf and i am putting her with a 2.5 generation so what will their babies be classified as?

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 07:24 PM

a 3.5 generation
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 07:26 PM

Quote:
ok i have a 4th generation wf and i am putting her with a 2.5 generation so what will their babies be classified as?

The joey would be a 3+ gen. It would be more than a 3.5 but less than a 4.

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/14/07 07:36 PM

Right since we dont use .25 or .75...you can say 3+....but then I ran into the problem of "+" what??? .25?,.5? .75? smile So I found just sticking with the .5 was easier. Or I guess you can do 3.5+...but IMO, that is just way to many things...

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/15/07 04:17 AM

Okay I'm reaaaaally confused...

Aidens Parents: Mom - 2nd gen wfb
Dad - 1st gen wfb

Aiden = 2.5 gen wfb

Julz Parents: Mom - Cinnimon
Dad - 2nd gen wfb

Julz = 1.5 gen wfb

Am I right with this? Even with all your explanations I'm still baffled... What will this make their babies? 2, 2.5, 3?

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/15/07 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Jhessail
Okay I'm reaaaaally confused...

Aidens Parents: Mom - 2nd gen wfb
Dad - 1st gen wfb

Aiden = 2.5 gen wfb
in Aiden line Dad's parents where 1 wf and 1 gray? Mom both parents were WF what were her Grandparents?

Julz Parents: Mom - Cinnimon
Dad - 2nd gen wfb

Julz = 1.5 gen wfb Julz is a 1st generation

Am I right with this? Even with all your explanations I'm still baffled... What will this make their babies? 2, 2.5, 3? Need answer to Aidens line first

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/15/07 05:22 AM

So now I'm like, reading algebra or VBA text books confused...

A quote from the breeder I got Aiden from:

"both of his parents are white faced blonde, making him a 2nd generation, his mother is a 2nd generation white faced sunkissed and his father is a first gen" - that's as much as I know of his lines...

Thanks for your help, I've been waiting for this topic to come up so I could chime in! smile

Re: Question on the WF Gene? - 05/15/07 05:29 AM

sending you a PM
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL