GliderCENTRAL

WF Generation???

Posted By: Anonymous

WF Generation??? - 10/02/07 03:24 PM

I have a 1st gen. wf Grey and a 2.5 gen. wfb
They have 2 in pouch. What generation wf will the joeys be if they are in fact wf?
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: WF Generation??? - 10/02/07 03:43 PM

i think they'd be considered 2nd gen

Re: WF Generation??? - 10/02/07 03:58 PM

Does anyone have a good explanation of how to figure generation, maybe on a website somewhere or something? This is kind of confusing to me. I understand that the joey would be one generation higher than the parents, but somebody had said something on another post a while back about adding a .5 for WF grand parents. If this is true....then does that make the joeys of this pair 2.5 like the father?
Sorry, I love genetics but this confuses me and I would like to understand more clearly.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: WF Generation??? - 10/02/07 04:01 PM

They would be 2+ gen wf. (if they are wf)

When I classify generation (just my own personal way) is they are either a whole number (ie, 1st, 2nd, 3rd), they are whole plus half (ie 1.5, 2.5, 3.5) or they are whole number + (ie 1+, 2+, 3+) because I just hate working out the actual fractions.

In your situation, I believe your joeys would actually be 2.25 gen (which is why I would call them 2+ gen)

How's THAT for confusing???

Re: WF Generation??? - 10/02/07 04:09 PM

Yeah, that is confusing. But thanks for telling me. At least I will know what to tell others about the babies when the time comes.

Re: WF Generation??? - 10/05/07 04:58 PM

I've got two WFB boys that I've always referred to as 1st gen because their dad is a grey, even though their mom is actually a sunkissed 4th generation wfb with the frostiest most beautiful coat ever. =)
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: WF Generation??? - 10/05/07 05:25 PM

Yes, your babies would be considered 1st Generation sice one parent is grey even though the mom is 4th generation.

I still get confused on the generation thing too. I'm sure Justine (suggieDelight) could help us out on this. I have always had greys, Cupid is my first WFB, and he's considered 1st generation because his mom was a grey, but dad was a WFB. HTH smile
Posted By: Dancing

Re: WF Generation??? - 10/05/07 07:39 PM

1st gen has one wf parent (and atleast one wf grandparent)
2nd gen has two wf parents and atleast 2 wf grandparents
3rd gen has two wf parents and 4 wf grandparents
4th gen has two wf parents, 4 wf grandparents and atleast 2 wf great grandparents
5th gen has two wf parents, 4 wf grandparents and 8 wf great grandparents and atleast 2 gr.gr.grandparents
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL