GliderCENTRAL

het coloring?

Posted By: BeckiT

het coloring? - 12/22/07 09:03 AM

confused OK, this one still baffles me - with the leu hets that are lower than 100%, I often see them listed as "het coloring" and one I saw today was listed as "definitely has the het coloring"..

Sooo, how does one determine if a lesser % het has the het coloring? Are there tell tale signs, certain markings to look for dunno
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: het coloring? - 12/22/07 02:52 PM

Well Becki, that's a very good question and I hope one of the color breeders comes along soon to answer it for you. As you know, breeding for colors is the one subject about breeding that I just don't have a clue about shakehead
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: het coloring? - 12/22/07 03:24 PM

Het color means lighter color, and often more white on the face (thinner markings). While this might be an indicator of having the het gene there are known 100% hets who have very thick dark marking so relying on *het color* doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Posted By: SugarBaby22

Re: het coloring? - 12/22/07 05:47 PM

I don't think I'd ever rely on "a het coloring" either.

When I got Comet I was told "he definately has the het coloring" dunno .. but his mother was also a TRUE buttercream... so of course he was "light and cream colored". roflmao

I don't think there is such thing.

Re: het coloring? - 12/22/07 06:18 PM

I think that with gliders from the Sammie linage are the main ones that show 'het coloring'. I have 2 gliders from that line and they both have a very distinct diluted look about them... But, keep in mind that Sammie is also the grandfather of Sheila's beautiful Haley... So, the 'het coloring' may have nothing to do with the leu gene.
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: het coloring? - 12/22/07 06:57 PM

That's a good question, I have also wondered that before myself.
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: het coloring? - 12/22/07 08:32 PM

Leyna, is Haley the beautiful platinum I'm thinking of?

If so, so you think that maybe the platinum look is maybe caused from the leu gene, or is it a gene all of it's own. I've wondered that before, but didn't really look much into it.

Re: het coloring? - 12/23/07 07:03 AM

I don't think the platinum comes from leus, but from 1 leu specifically, Sammie. Actually, more specifically, I think it comes from 1 pairing, Sammie and Hope. Both of my gliders from the Sammie line are descendants of that pairing and they both have the dilute coloring. I have several other leu hets with various ancestries and none have the diluted look these 2 boys do... Then again, I bought these 2 boys because of their coloring smile

Re: het coloring? - 12/23/07 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: SugarBaby22
I don't think I'd ever rely on "a het coloring" either.

When I got Comet I was told "he definately has the het coloring" dunno .. but his mother was also a TRUE buttercream... so of course he was "light and cream colored". roflmao

I don't think there is such thing.

and who told you he was going to throw a leu!? I DID!! haha

But het color is like a Champ color almost... like Nick.. My glider that Lynsie now has... hes a perfect example.. I bought him in like two seconds from when he was posted i knew he was a het.. but I never had another het or leu to put him with =[ so lynsie got him i hope he throws a leu
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL