GliderCENTRAL

Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO!

Posted By: Anonymous

Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 04:29 AM

I saw an add for female mosaic sterile lines, but she should not be crossed with leu or 100% leuhets. I understand the logistics, but could someone give me detais in genetic terms?
Posted By: krysKritters

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 04:38 AM

it is a "NO No" because you would be adding sterility into the leu lines.

In other words, starting a potentially huge problem in a "clean" line.

IMO When breeding you shouldn't breed lines with any problems. It only supports the continuation of these problems but I would definately not introduce it to other colors.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 04:45 AM

Because we do not want to introduce sterility into the leucistic lines (as none of the leu lines currently carry sterility).

Females in the Mo sterile line can reproduce, but males generally can't (there are some exceptions the further out you get).
Posted By: tammyangel

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 04:52 AM

You would really want to place with another color as to keep the sterility out of the leustic lines.
Some sterile lines can produce its been showed fourth generation out some lines have shown to produce.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 04:54 AM

Is it okay for a Leu and a platinum mosaic or mosaic (etc.,) to have babies if the mosaic is NOT from sterile lines?
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 04:55 AM

It's fine to have a leu/mosaic pair so long as the mosaic is from NON-sterile lines as you're not introducing sterility into otherwise non-sterile lines wink
Posted By: ScootersPet

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 04:57 AM

I believe so, i don't see a problem with that. I think it is just the basic idea of keeping Leu lines clean from having any sterility introduced.

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 05:00 AM

cry Well darn!!!

There went my hopes for my "dream glider"! At least for Abraham.

I'll have to put her in with Sarah and Rory and have a girl colony smile (if I can get her)

Soooo glad this question came up! I wouldn't have known otherwise!!

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 05:01 AM

Great, thats what I figured anyhow, just wanted to make sure I knew my stuff.
Thanks everyone for your quick replies.

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/18/08 11:42 AM

One more question! Does this also mean you can't mate a Leu with a 100% Leu HET? What about say 66% or 50%?

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/19/08 07:56 AM

anyone??
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/19/08 08:00 AM

Any percentage het is just the chance that it's a leu het. Hets are either 100% or 0%. There is no in between - they either carry the genes or they don't. Leus normally are bred to leu hets because the lines tend to be cleaner and the generations are further apart.

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/19/08 08:54 AM

Thanks Marissa!

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/20/08 11:14 PM

OK, I thought if a glider was 50% leu het than that meant there wa a 50% chance that the glider carried that gene? Like if you bred a leu glider with a normal. Is that wrong? If the 50% glider than gave birth to a leu THAN it was considered 50% proven or 100% lue het.
Posted By: konotashi

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/20/08 11:20 PM

If you breed a leucistic with a normal, all babies will be 100% leu hets because they FOR SURE carry the gene since one of the parents was a leu. If a _% het had a leu baby, then yes, it would then be a 100% het, or proven het.
When you buy a % het, you're taking a chance. You might be paying extra for a normal glider, or you could be getting a good deal on a het.

Re: Why sterile mosaic and leu/leuhet cross a NO NO! - 12/21/08 12:10 AM

Ah, gotcha!! I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Thanks
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL