GliderCENTRAL

gliders adopting joeys?

Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

gliders adopting joeys? - 12/24/09 07:44 AM

Has anyone tried to introduce a joey to adult gliders with joeys the same age? could a female glider support an extra joey? has anyone had experience with this? any luck? prompt replys are appreciated! thank you!! :-)
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: gliders adopting joeys? - 12/24/09 12:23 PM

Good morning,
Sorry you didn't get any replies prior to this frown
To answer your question, it is very rare for a pair of gliders to accept another joey into their colony. I have had it happen ONCE, when my little Allira was rejected by her parents, I cautiously introduced her to Bittah. Bittah had two joeys of her own in pouch at the time that were due out in 2 weeks. Bittah immediately grabbed Allira, cleaned her off and shoved her into her pouch with her own two joeys. Pepe went along with the adoption! Although Bittah didn't have enough milk for a third joey, she carried Allira everywhere with her and kept stuffing her inside her own pouch for as long as she was able to. She also did allow Allira to suckle as wanted... I hand fed Allira, but Pepe & Bittah totally took care of all of her other needs mlove Here is a picture of Bittah with her own two joeys in pouch and Allira suckling heart
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: gliders adopting joeys? - 12/27/09 05:27 PM

i have 2 sisters that are both in the same cage and both had there babys and they would take care of each others babys all the time and feed them and every thing and the father helped out too
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: gliders adopting joeys? - 12/27/09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DreamToBe
i have 2 sisters that are both in the same cage and both had there babys and they would take care of each others babys all the time and feed them and every thing and the father helped out too
What you have described here is a trio or colony scenario - not a true "adoption" scenario. Many times trios or colonies work out very well - as yours has. Sadly though, sometimes they don't work out. It really depends on the personality of the gliders involved. The fact that the two females are sisters is probably one of the greatest factors in your favor with having the trio work out.
Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

Re: gliders adopting joeys? - 12/29/09 05:18 AM

Thank you for the info Suz!! grin it's much appreciated!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL