GliderCENTRAL

Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines?

Posted By: cryingoutloud37

Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 12:55 PM

This may be a dumb question but I am curious. I often see Leu,Mo, and other expensive colors going cheap because the are from sterile lines. Is it only males this is with? Someone referred the other day to a female that wasn't reproducing that she may be from a sterile line? I have only seen males from sterile lines for sale?
Posted By: gliderboy4life

Re: Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 03:55 PM

Sterile line females will always reproduce. The sterility only affects the males.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 04:24 PM

Sterile line females may or may not *always* reproduce. There is no guarantee what each individual sugar glider will or will not be able to do.

We're not able to guarantee that any sugar glider from any line will, in fact, have babies. Just like people, some men, and some women just aren't able to have babies... whatever the reason.

In regards to the sterility at this time, it has only been affecting the males for these lines, as it is a sex-linked defect. That's why they are sold less expensive. The females *should* be able to reproduce, unless another factor, other than the sterile line, prevents her from doing so.

I hope that helps to clarify.

=)
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 05:08 PM

What is important to remember though, is that a female from sterile lines will produce sterile male offspring. So in many cases, sterile line females are sold as pet-only, not to be bred.

After about 5 or 6 generations the sterility can be bred out enough that male offspring start to be producing.
Posted By: cryingoutloud37

Re: Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 06:38 PM

Thanks, my next question would be if you were to purchase a glider from a sterile line male or female you should take all precautions to make sure the do not breed? If you were to keep a male from sterile lines it should still be neutered correct? Cause it may or may not actually be sterile? When buying from a sterile line is that the only thing wrong with them? The defect only effects reproduction? Their are no other known healths problems these gliders have besides sterility?

So purchasing a pet glider from a sterile line is a very good opportunity to get my hands on a Mosiac since I am not looking to breed?
Posted By: Lindsay

Re: Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 06:43 PM

There are people that do breed sterile line gliders so they can try and breed the sterility out of the line, still debated over if that is possible.

If you are not looking to breed, then yes it would be a way to get a Mosaic for a pet only home.

Lindsay
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: cryingoutloud37
So purchasing a pet glider from a sterile line is a very good opportunity to get my hands on a Mosiac since I am not looking to breed?
Most reputable breeders offer a large discount on male mosaics that are going to pet only homes and being neutered, so, buying a sterile line male is not the only way to get a pet male mosaic (and in some cases, buying sterile line isn't even the cheaper option..) wink
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: Can girls be sterile frome sterile lines? - 06/09/09 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: cryingoutloud37
When buying from a sterile line is that the only thing wrong with them? The defect only effects reproduction? Their are no other known healths problems these gliders have besides sterility?

No one knows the answer to that question for sure. There HAVE been males from sterile lines that were born with no testicles. :\

Many people are against breeding sterile-line mosaics because no one knows if sterility is the only health issue in the line.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL