GliderCENTRAL

outrageous toe nail!

Posted By: tbull

outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 04:14 AM

I know it's gross to take a picture of and I wasn't going to post..... but it's been bugging me that with summer coming and vacations happening, a warning may be in order.

I adopted the parents of two of my cages, who had been with a babysitter for a month before I went and got them.
This is one of the toenails I clipped off of the prego momma. ( BTW: I wasn't told about them being babysat, or that she was prego, or I would have made the trip much faster cry ) I've never seen nails like this before. Luckily it went around in a circle to the side, instead of into her pad. But if you ever have to have a babysitter for any length of time, please show them how to trim nails.

The end looks rough, but I filed the part I left, smooth on her toe.

with a mini yogie for size reference.

Posted By: Feather

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 04:39 AM

Those poor babies.
Posted By: scraptilldawn

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 04:42 AM

Wow, I can't see that happening even in a month. It'd take a lot longer for a nail to get THAT bad.....yeesh
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 05:04 AM

Holy WOW!!!!!!
Posted By: LiveInTheMoment

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 05:07 AM

WOW, that's like a small dogs nail! The thickness.. not saying dogs nails should curl lol.
Posted By: Viciousencounter

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 05:14 AM

That is fascinating and sad all at the same time.

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: scraptilldawn
Wow, I can't see that happening even in a month. It'd take a lot longer for a nail to get THAT bad.....yeesh

cry I was hoping to give their previous owner the benefit of the doubt, but I'm thinking it would have taken longer than a month also. cry I will be using an emery board for a while to try to work on the thickness.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 05:22 AM

shakehead

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 05:25 AM

Let me know if that fixes the thickness. I know my parents weren't "educated" dog owners when I was little so they only clipped my bassets nails when they were super long. Needless to say once I was older I took over on the clipping. I got the quiks to go down (so the nail was shorter), but the thickness stayed the same. I would be curious to know if it actually does thing out on suggies. Because it definitely didn't on her. But hey maybe if they stay thick it will be easy to clip them lol. I always have to put my glasses on before I clip their nails.. they're so thin and hard to see LOL.
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 06:49 AM

Whoa! That's one long nail. Were her other nails that bad?
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By: scraptilldawn

I agree. I think that would take MUCH longer than a month.

I have a friend who had her gliders for 3 months before she finally took them into the vet for an exam, and a nail clipping. This was before I knew how to clip nails, so I couldn't do it for her. Anyway, her gliders nails were no where near this bad.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 07:51 AM

frown Just plain sad!
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 08:50 AM

Wow that is a glider nail? holy cow.

I had a guinea pig that had nails grow weird like that. I had to clip his nails more often than the others just to make sure they didnt get too long and become an issue.

Wonder what causes nail growth like that, that isnt normal?
Posted By: sphynxie

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 03:05 PM

Even human nails will get thick and start to curl if left alone. What causes that is neglect.
Ew do a search for the worlds longest fingernails. :sick:

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 03:32 PM

Her others were long, but nothing like this one. I def did a double take when I saw it curled totally around. I was ready to run to the vet thinking it was into her toe pad, until I saw it had gone around instead.

The other gliders aren't that bad, maybe he just missed her one toe everytime? I know I won't. Dailey manicures if needed. hug2
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 03:40 PM

That is much, much longer than a month, or even a few months.

Here are the nails of a 7 yr old rescue I got last January. Her name was Amelia. Besides her nails, she was horribly malnourished and didn't live through the vet exam. Let these pictures show, that Amelia did not die in vain. These pictures of her, will educate others.

Yes, this nail is curled around THREE times!

Click to watch the video of this sweet baby.
Posted By: FuzzierThanMost

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 03:51 PM

Poor thing frown

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 03:53 PM

cry cry cry
Running in to give cuddles and double check nails and weights on everyone. cry
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 03:57 PM

I see nails like this a lot.

Some gliders do have nails that grow thicker and quicker than most. It happens even with well bred gliders. I have two that have nails that would look like that within a month if I did not clip them every 5 days or so. So, it can happen. Just FYI.

T will get a better feel for whether this happened quickly or slowly once she gets to spend some time with the glider.
Posted By: fuzzbuttsmommy

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 03:58 PM

That is a good example of animal neglect/abuse. People like this make me SICK !!! mad mad

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 07:54 PM

Actually I do not think Autumn or the others were neglected or abused, just a case of some bad judgement.

Here are a couple pictures of Autumn I took at playtime today. She doesn't look bad. Her hubby, August has some breaks in his furr, but afew months on a good diet will help that. They are both very sweet and playful. I don't think they would be if they were neglected. Autumn also has a very active joey IP. With a new home, new smells, and a joey IP, she has every right to be testy, but instead she is first out to say hi and get pets.

I will be keeping my eye on her nails, maybe her's do just grow faster than most, or it was more than a month that they were untrimmed.
Either way, they are all happy and safe now. mlove

baby bump

Hubby August, he and Autumn are the parents of my Cream and Spice

The second pair I brought home ( parents of my Sugar and Thunder )

Spring ( grey female ) and July ( RT MO male )

July showing his tail off.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom
I see nails like this a lot.

Some gliders do have nails that grow thicker and quicker than most. It happens even with well bred gliders. I have two that have nails that would look like that within a month if I did not clip them every 5 days or so. So, it can happen. Just FYI.

T will get a better feel for whether this happened quickly or slowly once she gets to spend some time with the glider.

I agree with Val here. My oldest glider went through a period of nail growth like this twice. Two of her nails on her back feet (one each) started growing thick and VERY fast. It can happen in a month. I had to clip just those nails every few days to stay ahead of them. I agree, neglect can also cause nail overgrowth. It has been suggested here that thick nails like this can be caused by nutritional problems, a liver complication, or other reasons we just don't understand. As I said, this has happened to Kira twice, and just as suddenly (after a couple of months or so) the nails cleared up and started growing normally again. dunno

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/14/11 09:06 PM

My one gliders nails grow super fast, but I have never seen them that thick. I've cut a lot of animal nails (used to work for a vet, and I have worked in groomshops). I'm not saying that it couldn't get that thick/grow that fast in a month, but I really feel like it's unlikely. If it did happen in a month it would probably be because of a fungal nail infection. That is the only reason I know of for nails like that happening in a short time span. But this is information that I know based on dogs nails.

I pretty much had to stop being angry with such long nails to think straight and post this lol.
Posted By: sphynxie

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/15/11 12:07 AM

When I said neglect I didn't mean abuse, I meant neglect of nail care.
Posted By: McNugget

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/15/11 07:12 PM

Wow poor girl. I can only imagine how that would interfere with her hangin onto things.
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/15/11 07:26 PM

Oh, Connie...that is the saddest thing I've seen in a long time. upset
Posted By: kjgoulet

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/15/11 07:31 PM

It's a pretty long nail, and gross at that. At least it didn't go back into her paw, that would be really sad :'( at least her nails have now been clipped and she's a cutie smile

Re: outrageous toe nail! - 05/15/11 08:10 PM

Thanks, she is a cutie and so sweet. I was alittle worried about taking so much off, but she has no problem with climbing or jumping with her short nails.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL