GliderCENTRAL

Nails clipped to short

Posted By: silverwolf

Nails clipped to short - 01/14/07 09:41 PM

Hi all I have a glider that i clipped the nails to short on her one back foot. the bleeding has stopped but it seems to hurt her what can i do to keep her from chewing on them. I know how painful this can be at least if I do it to myself. so my guess is it will take a day or two for them not to hurt if its the same as humans is there anything i can do to keep her from chewing or sm on them?
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/14/07 09:42 PM

An e-colar might help… does she seem to be paying it a lot of attention.. ?? not leaving it alone ??

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/14/07 09:57 PM

not yet just alot of jumping if she puts that foot down. I feel so bad this is the first time I have done this to her. I had the vet do my male's nails and decided not to do that again because he caught all of them to short

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/14/07 09:59 PM

Also will an e collar be stressful for her as she has a baby ip that is just starting to show?
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/14/07 10:07 PM

So sorry you are going through this… the e-collar can be stressful … but better that than allowing an SM issue to happen… just keep an eye on her.. if you can have a collar ready… it might be a long night if it continues to bother her…

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/14/07 10:25 PM

K thanks I feel like such a bad mommy for doing this I usually try to be so careful. But her nails were getting long and stuck and i didnt want her to scratch the baby.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/14/07 10:56 PM

Sadly, I think we all have done this (or will do this) at some point.

It might be tender for a couple of days. Just keep a close eye on her that she isn't bothering it. Have an ecollar handy just in case. While the ecollar is a stressor, it is much less stress than self mutilation.

I have a little girl here that broke her leg. She went through xrays, anesthsia, surgery, an ecollar and all that went along with it and so far her joey is still there and still growing.

My point is, IF you need to use the ecollar for a day or two, it shouldn't cause any problems with the joey.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/15/07 02:41 PM

I did that to Myst a few weeks ago-I felt criminal (and since she's missing all the nails on one front hand she needs all she can get) frown It will be sore for a couple of days, but unless it starts getting infected, she shouldn't bother it. Signs of infection would include unusual heat and redness or discoloration in the toe-if you see that, go to the vet for an oral antibiotic (and an ecollar on hand just in case is always a good idea). Otherwise, it should be okay in a couple days. HTH

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/16/07 07:18 AM

Hi all just an update her foot was sore for the last couple of days but she seems fine now. She spent the first night licking it alot but no chewing. I will remember to be more careful next time lol.
Posted By: Judie

Re: Nails clipped to short - 01/16/07 07:20 AM

Use good lighting when trimming nails and a baby nipper. Only tip the white portion of the nail... the sharp tip.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL