GliderCENTRAL

Distended pouch after weaning?

Posted By: Anonymous

Distended pouch after weaning? - 04/26/07 04:57 AM

My female recently weaned her first set of joeys--everyone's doing really well but I noticed mama's pouch is now "visible." She lets me look and it doesn't appear to be irritated, just showing pink--you could mistake her for a male almost if you didn't know better. Should I be concerned or is this a common after effect of nursing twins.

I know I sagged after delivering/nursing my own twins lol.

thanks!

Re: Distended pouch after weaning? - 04/26/07 10:23 AM

How long have the joeys been weaned??
I have noticed Beatrice when she carried twins sagged for a little once theirs were weaned.It was that way for a little bit afterwards but not too long.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Distended pouch after weaning? - 04/26/07 11:20 AM

Inverted pouches can occur for a number of reasons. As long as the skin is a light pink in color and there is no discharge nor swelling, then it should be okay. IF it doesn't go back in on its own within the next day or two, then I would take her to the vet's to have it checked out. If the color darkens, discharge starts and/or swelling occurs, then an immediate vet check would be needed.

Re: Distended pouch after weaning? - 04/26/07 04:33 PM

Thanks for the reply...the joeys are 10 weeks OOP--they've been foraging on the adult fare over the past 2 weeks but I think she finally cut them off completely within this past week. I'm not sure, of course, what happens in the nest during the day when they're sleeping but her teats aren't big and red anymore so I'm pretty sure she's done. They do paw at her tho...maybe that contributed to the inversion.

Re: Distended pouch after weaning? - 04/26/07 04:35 PM

It's only been showing for ~36 hrs, and it looks healthy. I'll monitor it. Thanks for the encouraging feedback smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL