GliderCENTRAL

Very Long Nails

Posted By: Anonymous

Very Long Nails - 06/29/07 06:35 PM

Kent got his gliders about a week ago now. When we got them the previous owner did mention she had never clipped their nails. Now that they've become more social I've noticed that their nails are WAY too long and they have been getting caught on the fleece.

I have no problems clipping their nails I'm just worried about Sammy (mommy glider) who had her babies come OOP recently. If I take her away to clip her nails will this cause issues? Should I just tempt to do it when she's with the babies? Should I stick with trying to get a stealth wheel insert?

Her foot was caught on some fleece earlier when feeding her meal worms she had no issues with me touching her foot.

All and any opinions would be nice. thanks

Re: Very Long Nails - 06/29/07 06:42 PM

I don't clip the nails of females with joeys because I think they need them to carry the extra weight...but it sounds like this gliders has extremely long nails...so maybe a little trim wouldn't be so bad. smile

Re: Very Long Nails - 06/29/07 06:44 PM

I'm just afraid that she may hurt herself one of these days since she's getting caught on things. I don't want to cause problems though.

Re: Very Long Nails - 06/29/07 06:46 PM

I would probably give her a little trim so that she doesn't hurt herself.

Re: Very Long Nails - 06/29/07 06:47 PM

ok thanks.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Very Long Nails - 06/29/07 07:15 PM

I would go ahead and trim her nails. I do my mothers' nails even when they have joeys oop because I don't want them getting caught on their pouch frown Go ahead and leave the joeys in the pouch with her and then just pull out one foot or hand at a time to trim... she'll be more comfortable that way thumb

Re: Very Long Nails - 06/29/07 07:46 PM

thanks, that helps out a lot.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL