GliderCENTRAL

Crossing illegal state lines with gliders?

Posted By: IslandGliders

Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 08:55 PM

This is just for my own curiosity: if you were to just drive through a state where gliders are illegal (like MA or PA), could your gliders be seized? Or are they illegal only for residents to own?

When travelling with gliders through these states, would proof of residence prevent any problems, should you be stopped? Or would it just be best to bypass these states altogether?
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 09:02 PM

Even if you got stopped (I would imagine you mean by the police), the likelihood they would even ask or know what they are is very slim. The people concerned with the legalities of gliders in any state are not likely the same people that are pulling you over. JMPO.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 09:04 PM

I believe it's only illegal to own, sell, import, etc.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 09:56 PM

Dont remember where I read it, but if "they" catch you, then yes they can take away your animals even if just passing though. Wish I could remember where I saw that.

chances are, as long as you are not stopped, you would be fine. How would anyone know you even have them if you are just passing through that state? Then even if you were stopped for some reason, would a police man really want to take them from you if you explained you were just passing through?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 10:01 PM

When I was moving from NM to OR, I called and asked the Wildlife (whatever.. It's such a long name roflmao ) in CA and they said they could seize my babies. Soooo.... We changed the route of our travel to avoid CA.
BUT... I could have been misinformed and it wouldn't have been a big deal. It could also vary from state to state.

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 10:40 PM

Thanks guys!

I didn't so much mean the cops as, you know, the state line people. (There are state line people, right? Can you tell I don't travel much?)

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 11:00 PM

The only state line people I had to deal with in my move was in AZ, so I don't know about other states and how common it is. dunno

But they were really frustrating. We had to empty out HALF of the UHaul! I was so irritated!
Posted By: JeremysDad

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/20/11 11:35 PM

I called Massachusetts and was told by wildlife:
!. recent vet records
2. and not to stay over night
Posted By: fox0r

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 05:34 AM

I would think bringing them into the state would be importing. Id call wildlife and see what they stay, or take a different route. Too big of a risk for me!

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 07:03 AM

According to my husband (who is full of random information) once you cross a state line, you are bound by that state's laws and regulations. So, if they are illegal in the state, then they can be seized. IMO, I would just avoid those states. Even though most officers wouldn't think or even care to ask what they are, I wouldn't want to risk getting the one officer who would.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: ParadiseOnCall
Thanks guys!

I didn't so much mean the cops as, you know, the state line people. (There are state line people, right? Can you tell I don't travel much?)

I have traveled across, including moving with u-hauls, many times and was NEVER stopped by anyone. I dont think there are any "state line people" but maybe I just missed them?

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 10:46 AM

Get a medical exam from your Vet n have it on you to show the police where you are going that allows Gliders - we did that moving from PA (illegal) to Illinois (legal)

Good luck

Sue
owned by

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
Originally Posted By: ParadiseOnCall
Thanks guys!

I have traveled across, including moving with u-hauls, many times and was NEVER stopped by anyone. I dont think there are any "state line people" but maybe I just missed them?

Thanks Jill.

Hubby informed me last night that I misheard him. He just meant "state line people" as in the cops who check your cars coming from NH back into ME to see if you have fireworks (which are illegal without a permit in ME).

So what he said doesn't even really apply to gliders, which are legal in both NH and ME.

shakehead I am such a ditz.

However, I am glad for all this info! It's good to know! My parents are pressuring us to come visit them in Florida and I told them, "No way am I leaving my babies!" (I seriously travel twice a year for 24 hours each time. That's it.)

And they said, "Well, bring them!"

But I think that'd make me even MORE nervous, as I think I'd have to drive through MA *and* PA. What a wreck I'd be.

I'd much rather just not go on vacation. Easier all around.

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 02:16 PM

If you're traveling through CA, depending on what route you're on, they do have stops for immigration down near San Diego, I want to say it's on the 5. At these stops, they'll ask you if you have any agricultural products, such as produce, plants or meat products. I'm originally from CA and I've been stationed there off and on throughout my time in the Navy, to include in San Diego itself. Every time I traveled up north, I had to wait in line so everyone in front of me could be asked about what or who might be in their minivans.

They *can* search your vehicle, but I've never had it happen. Usually they're looking for untreated wood infested with gypsy moths, fruit flies and stowaway foreigners, not gliders. If you have them pouched under a shirt, they *can't* ask you to take your shirt off, as that's not part of the drill.

Not that this applies to you since you're on the East Coast, but someone else might need to travel through CA and it might be helpful.
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 04:16 PM

I have been thought and even been camping in Mass a million times with Gliders and last yr went thought PA. I was not stopped nor did it even cross my mind about the gliders. Did I do the speed limit ummm not always, forgot to tell my foot we had an illegal passenger LOL.

I can even say I had gliders flown into Logan airport in Boston once and not a word from anyone. Now if anything was going to be said the airport would have been the place.

Just go about your trip relax and enjoy.

Hanna do you go thought PA to Florida or get on 95 South all the way??
Posted By: FuzzierThanMost

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 02/21/11 05:02 PM

Ive talked to Angell memorial, a vet hospital in MA, they said they do emergency visits for gliders. The only reason i called and asked was because if i ever needed a backup backup vet, it would most likely be them, theyre amazing.

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 03/21/11 08:16 AM

I just want to add my two cents, but I passed through California for much of my travels getting my babies. I also used to live in Southern California. There ARE agricultural stops near Mexico, borders of Arizona, and to Nevada. They are only allowed to inspect your car from outside the vehicle unless the spot something obvious (such as imported lumber or fruits and veggies). Many times, we are simply waved through.

Plus, a lot of the pet stores in CA sell food for exotics like ferrets, hedgehogs, and sometimes even gliders. I'm sure they know there are many exotic owners, and still offer supplies for them.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be cautious--you should. But they're not looking for your gliders. They've been in a bonding pouch on my lap once and we got waved through, and another time I had them crab in my shirt. Don't make it suspicious and they won't have a need to bother you. But to be completely honest I think the checkpoints in California are a lot more lenient than other stops I've seen...

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 03/21/11 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Polarity
They are only allowed to inspect your car from outside the vehicle unless the spot something obvious (such as imported lumber or fruits and veggies).

Then they were not following protocol because they had us empty half of my UHaul and looked inside.
They were also looking in other cars. Not all, but some.

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 03/24/11 09:41 PM

wow we have to go to PA and stay for a few nights at my cousins house.

Im guessing i should just keep them inside.

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 03/24/11 09:52 PM

I know many people in MA with gliders, thats where I got my SIX.
Luckily theres no glider police, and almost nobody knows WHAT sugar gliders are anyways hahaha

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 03/26/11 04:48 PM

I cross MA all the time, only my hometown cops have seen them and they love them LOL

ETA I picked the last 2 up in MA on a RR from south, went to my brother's and a restaurant and drove home. My wife carries the pouches and no one ever asks why/what?

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 03/26/11 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: FuzzierThanMost
Ive talked to Angell memorial, a vet hospital in MA, they said they do emergency visits for gliders. The only reason i called and asked was because if i ever needed a backup backup vet, it would most likely be them, theyre amazing.

A little farther but VCA in Portsmouth NH is pretty good also.

Re: Crossing illegal state lines with gliders? - 03/26/11 05:10 PM

why thank you!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL