GliderCENTRAL

USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List

Posted By: GliderFun

USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List - 02/02/12 05:49 PM

Phew it's been awhile since I've been here.

We all know Sugar Gliders and Hedgehogs are on this list, but WHERE is this list?

I'm having trouble locating a complete list of the Restricted Species.

Anyone have a link to a complete list of the Restricted Species?

Thanks!
Posted By: SugarBattyPatty

Re: USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List - 02/02/12 05:58 PM

I didn't know of this. What exactly does "Ristricted" mean?
Posted By: TinaPa

Re: USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List - 02/02/12 08:26 PM

List 1

Hope this helps!
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List - 02/04/12 07:36 AM

The list above is primarily fish (some amphibians) from what I saw. I don't think there is necessarily a national list (other than import/export and sugar gliders are not on that list if coming from/going to legal areas (not Australia, obviously). Otherwise I think it is by state, so if there is a particular area you are interested in, I would start there. It has been a while for me, but I think if you have a USDA book, it lists the species it covers (for that region, anyway). dunno

Moving this to Regulations and Laws for you now.
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List - 02/04/12 02:54 PM

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/manuals/eig/3.2_eig.pdf

It's a PDF file.
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List - 02/04/12 02:57 PM

Pretty much everything you see in a normal pet store(such as Petco or Petsmart) is NOT restricted. Exotics, puppies, and kittens are the only restricted animals and that's only if you have 4 or more breeding females. Ferrets, chinchillas, and gophers(yes, it specifically says gophers, lol) are not considered exotics.
Posted By: GliderFun

Re: USDA/APHIS Restricted Species List - 02/08/12 07:46 PM

Sorry, I thought I posted my thread in regulations and laws.

What did I post it in?

Anyway, I'm looking specifically for African Soft Fur Rats. They're primarily used as a feeder animal for snakes.

I breed them as pets and have been since '07 and now, all of a sudden I'm hearing you need a license to sell them in pet stores and they're in the same class as Sugar Gliders. I'm kind of shocked considering I know a large amount of people who breed them and no one has ever heard of this.

I knew a few stores that sold them and didn't have a permit of any kind but they did away with them because there was no demand at the time.

I was just really confused. I emailed the USDA asking about this, and was told to ask the import department if I wanted import info... Which is not what I asked for. But, what else can you expect from the USDA. Call 3 days in a row, get 3 different answers...

Weird!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL