GliderCENTRAL

WV People Heads UP

Posted By: Feather

WV People Heads UP - 06/11/14 12:34 AM

People in West Virginia you need to act NOW! Find out who is on this committee and write letters, call, email or Sugar gliders will be on the list of animals BANNED in WV.

Here is the article:

Experts continue deciding what animals ‘dangerous’
By Dave Boucher, Capitol Bureau Chief

Airing on the safe side, a group of West Virginia health and animal experts concluded Monday it’s probably best to recommend residents can’t keep pet whales in their pools.

“Hope we get that rich in this state where he have to worry about people putting porpoises in their backyards,” said James Crum, a biologist with the state Division of Natural Resources.

Opting against allowing backyard dolphins was a small part of a lengthy discussion as to what animals should be considered dangerous and wild in accordance with a new state law.

Lawmakers passed the Dangerous Wild Animal Act this year, citing concerns after the 2011 release of lions, tigers and other exotic animals from a private facility in Zanesville, Ohio.

The West Virginia law outlines parameters for ownership of certain animals. While the law suggests a few animals that could be prohibited without a license, it creates a Dangerous Wild Animal board and instructs its members to actually create a comprehensive list.

A subcommittee — comprised of officials from the DNR, state Department of Agriculture and Bureau for Public Health — assigned the task of creating the list took “comprehensive” to heart.

The five board members discussed classifications for animals ranging from the Tasmanian Devil and short-nosed bandicoots to elephant shrews and pygmy three-toed sloths.

“I thought today went really well, I was really pleased with the progress the committee made,” said Jewell Plumley, state veterinarian for the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.

Initially the committee considered creating an “inclusion” list, or noting all the animals people could keep legally. Crum said such a list could help them from having to predict if “dancing frogs” or other seemingly obscure animals would become the next trendy pet.

However, the committee eventually opted for a mixed list, noting some animals could be kept while others should not.

“The subcommittee is carefully and purposefully looking at the class, order, family and genus of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and aquatic animals, including hybrids that are dangerous to humans, other animals or the environment due to their inherent nature and capability to do significant harm,” said Dr. Letitia Tierney, state health officer, member of the committee and former member of the snakebite treatment team during her tenure at Charleston Area Medical Center.

The Daily Mail could not obtain a copy of the final list created by the committee.

At about 3:30 p.m. Plumley, who sat in on the meeting but is not officially a member, said she thought the group had finalized the list. A spokeswoman for Tierney said at 4:30 p.m. she didn’t think the group had finished the list yet.

Earlier in the day though, several on the committee saw some animals that could create a stir.

“You’ll get a fight on prairie dogs and sugar gliders,” Plumley said, after the group decided to ban both as of early Monday.

Prairie dogs can carry several diseases, Crum said, and sugar gliders — something that resembles a small flying squirrel — are considered exotic pets that are banned in numerous other states. Plumley and Crum emphasized they have document justification for each animal they considered banning.

State DNR Biologist Kieran O’Malley also noted the law’s definition of animal did not include insects or similar creatures, seemingly allowing a loophole for animals like tarantulas, scorpions or black widow spiders which could be considered dangerous and wild.

Owners of large snakes, primates and other animals have voiced concerns about the bill. However, the law allows for some exemptions for current animal owners and those with appropriate federal research or display permits.

The committee will present the list it created Thursday to the full board, which has the authority to change the list as it sees fit. The board’s final list will then go before the Legislature for approval as a rule.

Contact writer Dave Boucher at 304-348-4843 or david.boucher@dailymailwv.com. Follow him at www.Twitter.com/Dave_Boucher1.
- See more at: http://www.charlestondailymail.com/artic...b.m8aNXnqk.dpuf

You need to tell them they are only illegal in a few states, that MASS just legalized them and it is the works to legalize them in PA.

Act now or your pets will be on the list.

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/11/14 01:14 AM

I have edited a letter you can use from the USARK site in regards to writing to the committee members. It wouldn't hurt to send it to all the senators in your state besides the senators listed.

Sample Letter for West Virginia HB 4393
Subject: HB 4393
Dear Senate Committee Member,
As a responsible pet owner, I oppose placing Sugar gliders on the list of Dangerous Wild Animals. Placing Sugar Gliders on the list of Dangerous Wild Animals will punish responsible exotic animal keepers.
Pet Sugar Gliders do not pose a public safety threat. They are housed indoors and there has never been a member of the general public killed by a Sugar Glider.
These species are also not a threat to the environment. They cannot establish themselves in West Virginia as the climate is not acceptable
Sugar Gliders are currently illegal in California, Hawaii, Alaska and Pennsylvania. Georgia and Massachusetts have legalized Sugar Gliders as pets, legislation is in the works in Pennsylvania to take Sugar Gliders off the list of banned animals.
This type of legislation is pushed by anti-pet groups posing as animal welfare organizations. Animal cruelty should certainly be addressed, but banning and over-regulating pet ownership are not effective means to handle this concern. It’s a shame that the great state of West Virginia would allow special interest groups to influence public policy and not protect the freedoms of its citizens.
Please consider your constituents and their freedoms. Pet ownership is a matter of personal responsibility and not government action. I implore you to leave Sugar Gliders off the list of banned animals in HB 4393.
Sincerely,

Your name, address, contact info, etc. __________________________________________________________________________________________
Contact Information for Senate Judiciary Committee and Sponsors
Email addresses are below but view additional contact information at http://www.legis.state.wv.us/committees/senate/SenateCommittee.cfm?Chart=jud.
Contact Governor Tomblin at www.governor.wv.gov/Pages/SubmitaCommenttotheGovernor.aspx.

Randy Swartzmiller (D – Hancock, 01) Lead sponsor
rswartzmiller@gmail.com
Capitol Office: Room 242M, Building 1, State Capitol Complex, Charleston, WV 25305
Capitol Phone: (304) 340-3138
Home: 216 Heartwood Drive, Chester, WV, 26034
Business Phone: (304) 479-5140
Sponsors:
Delegate Erikka Storch: erikka.storch@wvhouse.gov & (304) 340-3378
Delegate Kevin Craig: kjcraigwv@aol.com & (304) 340-3116
Delegate Brady Paxton: brady.paxton@wvhouse.gov & (304) 340-3146
Delegate Ron Fragale: ron.fragale@wvhouse.gov & (304) 340-3102
Mike Manypenny (D – Taylor, 49) Co-sponsor
mike.manypenny@wvhouse.gov
Capitol Office: Room 203E, Building 1, State Capitol Complex, Charleston, WV 25305
Capitol Phone: (304) 340-3139
Home:Route 3, Box 202, Grafton, WV, 26354
Business Phone: (304) 677-0379

Danny Wells (D – Kanawha, 36) Co-sponsor
danny.wells@wvhouse.gov
Capitol Office: Room 210E, Building 1, State Capitol Complex, Charleston, WV 25305
Capitol Phone: (304) 340-3287
Home: 34 Bridlewood Road, Charleston, WV, 25314
Home Phone: (304) 542-0284

John N. Ellem (R – Wood, 10) Co-sponsor
john.ellem@wvhouse.gov
Capitol Office: Room 150R, Building 1, State Capitol Complex, Charleston, WV 25305
Capitol Phone: (304) 340-3394
Home: P.O. Box 322, Parkersburg, WV, 26102
Home Phone: (304) 863-0375, Business Phone: (304) 424-5297
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/11/14 04:44 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Hoping all sugar glider owners in WV write the letters. I will never understand the logic in sugar gliders being illegal in most states. shakehead
Posted By: krissie

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/11/14 07:55 PM

Although I don't have a sugar glider anymore, I did take the time to write everyone. I did include sugar gliders because it is just ridiculous that they are on there. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone with beloved exotics out there. I'm over the government. There are bigger issues at hand. Like the heroin problem that rolled in like a plague, the rds, education, etc. My pets make the list. I'm moving.

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/12/14 04:07 PM

Here is a draft. This list can be altered. They are meeting at 1 today Then to be passed on to legislature. It's not over. When I get my hands on the final list I Will share it.

I can't upload the pics. Anyone help with that?

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/12/14 04:09 PM

Ok I think I figured it out. It's a pdf file

Attached File
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/12/14 08:30 PM

That list is ridiculous. shakehead More education certainly is needed by those trying to impose the laws. frown

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/13/14 02:04 AM

Not much has changed since the meeting today. They are holding another meeting next Thurday. It is very important for as many people to go as possible. Even if they don't allow you to speak, you being there is important. I'm going to copy and paste some info from someone who was at that meeting today. Please don't give up and be involved. The fight is not over. Also if you have a facebook please join WV_Reptile Watch. There are a lot of people involved fighting for our beloved pets. Here is what I am copying and pasting.

What we know so far:
We made it to the meeting today after finding out it was being held "in 13 min". We arrived just in time to hear the reptile part being addressed which there were no revisions on. The biggest shock was that there were no revisions in the fish section, let me elaborate on exactly what they are doing and why. They want to create an extensive list that includes all actual and possible threats to the environment and humans. In order to meet their allotted deadline they have decided to ban entire Orders of animals. For example Tetras fall under the Order: Characiformes, that Order encompasses several thousand fish of which piranha and tetra, two animals that are completely opposite. The catfish section includes every cat fish, loach or pleco in the hobby among the dreaded "Candiru" thank you animal planet for your extensive coverage of the threat this little guy poses, and yes it is a threat as it can swim up you penis , I am dead serious, but here is a shocker! They are not in the pet trade yet other fish in the order are so hey better safe than sorry. These people have lost touch with reality.
So what do we do now? Next Thursday they meet to finalize and pass all the revisions (which were minor) before the list is finalized and passed on to the next stage. We need to get as many people as we can to sit at this meeting with us, it is imperative that we fill this room. They may not allow us to speak (the chair refused to hear us today), but if there are 30-40-50 people there it may be very uncomfortable to them. If you are in the meeting will be held 1 PM Next Thursday, I will post up full address with directions , if you want to stand with us we can use your help. Next step after this , as soon as the list is open to PUBLIC COMENT we need a massive physical and email campaign, they need facts, not rants, if you have any real information to support why a particular animal should excluded please get it printed out and ready to ASAP. This will be a fight, we told them that today and they suggested we get as many people to come as we could. So unless you are prepared to pay $100 a year per snail, tetra, glider, etc all then I ask you to please sign on and STAND with us.

They believe the location is this address. Please double check. If I find out for sure I will post it.

I believe this is it everyone, I was there but we were just following directions

Mailing Address: 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, East
Charleston, WV 25305-0193

Physical Address: Gus R. Douglass Agricultural Center at Guthrie
255 Gus R. Douglass Lane
Charleston, WV 25312

Please correct this if I am wrong.

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/13/14 05:22 AM

Some info that was just shared
The committee meeting to finalize the rules for this law is scheduled to meet on Thursday June 19th at 1:00 PM at the West Virginia dept of Agriculture extension building 2 on Guthrie road in Sissonville.
If you wish to make your thoughts and concerns known to the committee please try to make this meeting . If you can not go to the meeting in person here is how to get in touch with them:
Jerry B Jenkins WVDNR 304-558-2784
Nancy Sullivan WVDHHR 304-558-9998
Paul Johansen West Virginia Wildlife 304-558-2771
Jewell Plumley WV Dept of Agriculture 304-538-2397 or 304-558-2214 Cell 304-257-8973
lets light their phones up!

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/13/14 05:25 PM

After this committee is done with the list it goes before the whole senate.

It is imperative that you write, call and email every senator in West Virginia and tell them how bad and detrimental this list of banned animals is.

The Senate can modify this list, so write, email, call.
Posted By: mrstyree

Re: WV People Heads UP - 06/15/14 01:24 AM

I also live here in WV and no I do not want this to happen as I do not want to give up my gliders or ferrets. I will do anything I can to help so just let me know.

Lori
Posted By: bcr229

Re: WV People Heads UP - 07/03/14 05:13 PM

I don't have a sugar glider but I do keep several other animals on the ban list. As was pointed out, the Board met last month and created a list of species to include in the ban. It is huge and available at http://www.ronedmedia.com/wvaquarium/WV_reptile2014.html

The public comment period started 7/2 and ends at the end of this month.

USARK posted the official proposed rule/regulation listing dangerous wild animals for WV on their web page for easy access.

http://www.usark.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/WV-DWA-List-and-Comment.pdf

Not only do you need to send in a public comment, but this is an election year. The list of who voted for/against the law is available at http://legiscan.com/WV/bill/HB4393/2014. If your Senator and Delegate voted correctly, then thank them and plesae help get them re-elected. If they didn't, go help the challenger.
Posted By: spiceglider

Re: WV People Heads UP - 07/21/14 03:59 PM

Hoping this does not pass or they lighten up the animals on the ban list. It's true you don't need a permit to have a tiger in wv and they need regulations but gliders are harmless
Posted By: spiceglider

Re: WV People Heads UP - 04/21/15 06:17 PM

Can anyone tell me if this ever passed or failed or still floating around
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL