GliderCENTRAL

Petition to Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts

Posted By: JMM331

Petition to Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts - 03/28/08 06:15 AM

Ok guys, Massachusetts needs some help...PLEASE, sign the petition below to legalize gliders in Mass...
dance
Legalize Fuzzbutts in Massachusetts
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Petition to Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts - 03/28/08 11:20 AM

Done! And I forwarded to everyone I know, asked them to sign it and pass it along as well.

Re: Petition to Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts - 03/28/08 03:47 PM

Thanks, Mary...I figured you would grin

Re: Petition to Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts - 03/28/08 04:18 PM

There are 54 signatures on the petition as of right now...there were 8 at 2:30 this morning...YAY!!! We need 2500 before it will be submitted so let's get signing!!!

Re: Petition to Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts - 03/28/08 04:51 PM

I just got an email from the WONDERFUL person who started this petition. She gave me her permission to post part of it here so everyone could see it, there is also the address of a gentleman who it would be beneficial to write a letter to to help get this going...

Quote:
Thanks for posting on Glider Central!!! I just started this petition last night and already have 58 signatures. I have been in contact with local state representatives who have said that "This is one animal that there is some thought for changing its status in the future" I was excited about this response and figured the more people pushing for it, the better.

I also heard it would be beneficial to write a letter to: Dr. Thomas French, Assistant Director of Natural Heritage & Endangered Species at the Westboro Field HQ.

Thanks for you help!

If there are any changes, I will post them

Re: Petition to Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts - 03/28/08 06:16 PM

Up to 70 now....come on guys, we need those signatures!!

Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 06:31 PM

Ok guys, I KNOW how powerful we can be when we all band together for something important. Well, this is one of those times...Massachusetts needs some help!!! There was a petition started to Legalize fuzzbutts in Mass and we need ALL the signatures we can get. We need 2500 before we can even submit it...last time I checked we were at 70 a great start but we have a LONG way to go...

Please take 5 minutes to sign the petition.

Legalize Suggies in Massachusetts

I am also including a portion of an email between myself and the WONDERFUL person who started the petition (I did get her permission)

Quote:

Thanks for posting on Glider Central!!! I just started this petition last night and already have 58 signatures. I have been in contact with local state representatives who have said that "This is one animal that there is some thought for changing its status in the future" I was excited about this response and figured the more people pushing for it, the better.

I also heard it would be beneficial to write a letter to: Dr. Thomas French, Assistant Director of Natural Heritage & Endangered Species at the Westboro Field HQ.

Thanks for you help!

If there are any changes, I will post them!

If you would like the address to write to Dr. French please PM and I will forward it to you.

This has been posted under the Laws and Regulations Forum..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 06:50 PM

i thimk this is nice and all, but is there a reason why we want gliders to be legal there?? im just curious but very willing to sign the petition.
Posted By: tammyangel

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:12 PM

Well me being in a state that is actually trying to take the right of us owning these precious babies .And the reason for them wanting to make them illegal is because they are considered wild.I think our rights as people in a free country in someways has been taken away and it should be anyone right to actually be able to own a glider or anything else as long as they are properly educated on how.So to those who live in states that they are legal it can be just a matter of time that they can do the same thing in all states by making them illegal so to help the states that they are illegal in will actually help us get the word out about how wonderful they are in a family.

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:16 PM

Because people in every state should have the same rights to own these wonderful babies as you. And thank you, Tammyangel.

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:22 PM

ok, i just wanted to get alittle input, im off to sign the petition!!!!!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:31 PM

Thank you!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:41 PM

I signed it for you guys..... :o)

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:41 PM

honestly, i can understand why they are illegal in some states, like hawaii and ca.. i think they should be illegal in places like TX and NM too because those are places where, if they were let loose outside, they could survive and they could seriously damage the natural ecosystem. Some laws about legal animals make sense, but MA is no differnet than CT. a glider COULD NOT survive and repoduce here... although those monk parakeets did - but i digress.

i think there is no real reason to make suggies illegal in Mass. but i am not for the legalization in other states where they can cause en ecologial issue

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:44 PM

signed.
Posted By: tngliderlover

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 07:51 PM

I just signed it. I believe the people in Massachusetts should have the right to own sugar gliders.
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 08:02 PM

Already signed it and I posted a bulletin to it on My Space. Keep up the good work and you will get the signatures you need yet. As long as people keep passing this on...you will get there!

Best luck and best wishes!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 08:08 PM

Thank you so much!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 08:49 PM

I've been cross posting a link to this petition everywhere all day long lol.

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 09:48 PM

I have, too!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 10:49 PM

I got permission to put this under community, can you tell me why it was moved?

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/28/08 11:55 PM

Too bad someone had to post a nasty reply when they signed it........HAHA, but they still signed it!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/29/08 12:18 AM

I saw that. Sounds like they don't think ANY ANIMALS should be in MA!! lol

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/29/08 12:21 AM

I've just signed as well...

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Community! - 03/29/08 01:04 AM

Thanks guys...we are at 108 so far...

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/29/08 02:17 AM

109, now

Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 04:26 AM

Hey Everyone,

Massachusetts needs some help...If we can band together to help I'm sure it would be appreciated...Please sign the Petition the link is in the post below...There are 111 of 2500 signatures. Its a GREAT start but more are needed

Thank you
Petition Post

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/29/08 06:06 AM

done

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/29/08 10:58 AM

Thank you to everyone that has signed. I have to say, there may be some that question why they should sign, you don't live there. Well, Tammyangel put it best when she said where she lives is trying to ban them now. It DOES effect other places. If they can outlaw them one place, then can anywhere. Again, thank you to those that have taken the time to sign this.

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 11:26 AM

Please sign......

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 11:35 AM

I signed smile
Posted By: gliderlover

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 01:24 PM

I signed. There are 123.

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 01:46 PM

This is Jen (PixTrix), signing under my husband's screen name.

I signed the petition for both my husband and myself. I hope MA passes the law, allowing wonderful slaves to be owned by awesome gliders!

Jen, and Marvin, too!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 02:25 PM

Thank you!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 02:59 PM

Signed!
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/29/08 06:48 PM

signed

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/29/08 06:56 PM

Thank you EVERYONE that has taken the time to sign the petition.

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 08:18 PM

Thanks guys!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 08:50 PM

Done deal....135 now. #112 is from autrailia....she seems to feel we should leave them in the wild and adopt the unwanted dogs and cats in the US. Does she not know where dogs and cats began? Alll animals at one time were wild. lol
Posted By: Slickable3

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 09:08 PM

Signed!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: purplekat61
Done deal....135 now. #112 is from autrailia....she seems to feel we should leave them in the wild and adopt the unwanted dogs and cats in the US. Does she not know where dogs and cats began? Alll animals at one time were wild. lol

I saw that! I asked myself, why would this person from Australia sign this petition if s/he was so against the gliders being domesticated here in the USA? lol shakehead

Jen

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 09:21 PM

signed good luck!!!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 03/29/08 09:41 PM

signed hope all works out!!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/31/08 03:00 AM

Is there a reason why Gliders are illegal in MA. Often times these animals are illegal because they are invasive to the natural habitat and can a lot of damage. For example in the great lakes due to boating our waters have become infecting by Sea Lampreys that are killing our native fish.

Most of these laws are not there to restrict peoples choices...they are there to protect animal and plant species. Sadly because the way these animals are mass produced many owners are not prepared to handle the responsibility and end up releasing them into the wild. A few bad people ruin it for the rest. But once again, most of these laws are designed to protect the other helpless animals....can't forget about them.

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/31/08 03:12 AM

Glider pose absolutely no threat Mass' eco-system. They could never survive if they were to get out there is no adequate food source and the climate in itself would kill them especially if it is in winter.

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/31/08 11:08 AM

The laws are old. Gliders could not survive in MA. And technically, they are not 'illegal', you need a permit to have them and they do not issue permits for 'pets'. In order to not have to have a permit in MA, animals need to be put on an 'exempt' list. To do that, they have to meet four criteria (the first three have to do with if they escape and what it would mean for the ecosystem, land and animals that are native, which are mute, as truly, they would not survive a MA winter, or fall for that matter!) The last one is their care cannot be more than that of a domesticated dog or cat. Now they need a specific diet, but so do dogs and cats. They should go to the vets once a year (or if sick), same as dogs and cats. Unlike dogs and cats, they pose no risk of rabies (I have never heard of a person getting sick from a glider for that matter). They do need time and attention, but so do dogs and cats. So although what you do to take care of a glider may not be exactly the same as dogs and cats, the basis, in my opinion is the same. And lastly, every surrounding state they are legal. It makes no sense for them to be illegal in MA when the land, weather and for the most part, the animals native to the area, are the same. I hope more people will sign this petition. Think about BSL (sorry to bring that up again). When one town passes it, it give other towns more power to pass it in there town. A couple of places have talked about trying to ban gliders......how would you feel if your town, city or state was to ban them? JMHO.
Posted By: jannee66

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 03/31/08 11:16 AM

#154 thumb

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 04/02/08 11:57 PM

We're at 168, so while we still need more signatures we are off to a great start. A very special thank you to everyone that has signed thus far...it is GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 04/09/08 11:56 AM

bump.....

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 04/09/08 12:02 PM

bump....the petition is in laws and regulations. Anyone else want to sign and help MA?
Posted By: Janie

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 04/09/08 12:55 PM

signed =) Hope it works,, my parents live in massachusetts and I wont visit anymore ,, we meet somewhere inbetween mass and mississippi now because I wont risk losing my little suggies should someone report us =(
Posted By: Janie

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 04/09/08 12:55 PM

signed=)

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 04/09/08 01:14 PM

signed!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 04/09/08 02:24 PM

#184! I hope MA comes around!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 04/10/08 11:51 AM

*bump*
Posted By: sweetReaper

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 05/03/08 06:31 PM

I signed! smile

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 05/03/08 07:24 PM

I want to sign! Where do I do it at?

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 05/03/08 07:39 PM

MA Petition

Here is the link....

Thank you, everyone that has signed!!!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 05/17/08 07:28 PM

I just signed and left a very good statement!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 09/09/08 12:05 AM

Bump! Please, everyone no matter what state you are in, sign this petition and help the MA glider owners... Your input is important!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 09/09/08 12:39 AM

I signed (TN) !!!!!!!!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 09/09/08 12:52 AM

SIGNED!!

Re: Legalizing Gliders in Massachusetts - 09/09/08 04:58 AM

Signed #251 ^_^
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 06:30 AM

I went ahead and signed it as well. Said that they are the law and the nice thing about that is they can allow people to own them but under thier regulations and standards, so if they think they "will become an issue" they can require them be liscensed or whatever. I mentioned that they are only illegal in a VERY VERY small percentage of the states and also thet these animals could be helpful with people with disabilities, ect due to the strong bond they form. Mentioned that Georgia just legalized them....hope you get them legal there! Good Luck

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 10:52 AM

Thank you!

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 12:50 PM

I signed smile

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 12:51 PM

smile
Posted By: KimeyDiann

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 12:56 PM

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 01:18 PM

#255 and I was glad to do it. why should some people not be able to have them and some not. I do understand about destroying the eco system, but out this way, I don't think thats a problem lol. I hope I was ok in what I said lol, I tried to think of good things lol. I sent it to 22 others and 1 already signed too lol. good luck, hope it all works out. VERY soon smile
Posted By: Cora

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 01:28 PM

Glad to see this ............................and of course I *signed* smile

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 01:41 PM

Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 02:01 PM

I sent it out to 10 more people who WILL sign also! smile

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 04:58 PM

TY! smile
Posted By: MatchMakerMagic

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 05:08 PM

Signed! smile

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/09/08 05:15 PM

#265..

Re: Massachusetts need help from the Glider Commun - 09/13/08 12:33 PM

Thank you so much! I love that people are passing this on to others to sign. It only takes a moment to forward a link, and getting this law changed would mean a LIFETIME of joy for some of us. Please pass it on!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL