GliderCENTRAL

Adopting out to California?

Posted By: Anonymous

Adopting out to California? - 07/03/08 07:18 PM

I live in Nevada. If I adopt out gliders to California can I be fined or have any negative ramifications?

Posted By: hipbchik

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/03/08 07:27 PM

Since Gliders are illegal in California, if you ship them across state lines, you could face a "trafficking" charge. If you drive them in, you could still face a "trafficking" charge. If you adopt out and someone comes to pick them up, you "technically" have done nothing wrong, but if the gliders are discovered coming across state lines, they could be confiscated and euthanised. Are these risks you really want to take?

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/03/08 08:08 PM

Also keep in mind it's pretty hard to find a suggie knowlegable vet in an illegal state - I've heard of especially hard struggles in CA. They're a little tighter on the restrictions there because if gliders get out in the wild there's chances they could live due to the climate, thus disrupting the environment. If you decide you DO want to still sell to someone in CA, I would be very careful and ONLY sell to someone who is knowlegable and serious - no impulse buyers. HTH good luck wink

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/03/08 08:12 PM

Since Gliders are illegal in California they could fine you and you could even do jail time. not worth it if you ask me.
Posted By: thefotokat

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/03/08 10:02 PM

California is very strict. They will seize and euthanize gliders. I feel that it should not be done and anyone trying to bring them in to an illegal state is acting recklessly and irresponsibly. My main conern would be the gliders' lives...just not worth the risk.
Posted By: cinnamonstix

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/03/08 10:39 PM

People like Linda are kept VERY busy doing rescue in illegal states. I wuld not try to add to their load.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/04/08 08:06 PM

Your reputation would be something to consider. Do you want to be know as some one who would risk their gliders just for a sale. We have to stop the risk to these animals. People are the ones doing the wrong not the furbutts.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/04/08 08:40 PM

i am back to add my other 2 cents this is in my siggy line on Animal CRAZE

I DO NOT CONDONE BUYING FROM/OR SELLING TO ANYONE IN AN ILLEGAL STATE

Times are tight and gliders are not a priority. Why settle for sub-standard homes for your babies? Time to fix these guys!

something to think about.
Posted By: SugarBaby22

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/07/08 12:04 AM

As hypocritical as it may sound.... and although I own gliders in CA, I do not think it would be wise to send anymore into the state. 95% of the people in this state that want them, want them to breed them and DO act irresponsibly with them. Most of the gliders that come to me come from people who thought that they could start breeding and selling them.

In the past 5.5 years, I've had 100+ rescues, only ONE of which wasn't here in CA already. It wasn't until about 1.5 years ago that I was able to afford to neuter ALL my male rescues before placing them. I ship them out of state or keep them... unless my best friend adds them to her pet only home.

I know of large mill breeders that ship into CA, supplying new glider owners with "breeding stock". The last rescue I did, the woman was able to obtain her gliders because they were shipped in as "exotic hamsters".

Please don't add to the population unless you know they're a GOOD home wanting a PET only, meaning that they will accept a neutered male.0

I used to look at gliders and say "I WANT".. I still do.. but I am more of a rescue person than anything.. neutering is my #1 priority now.. and keeping rescues over buying gliders too. I had little self control... now I have lots and have changed even my own views.

Re: Adopting out to California? - 07/08/08 12:42 AM

i donot personally know the state laws in california except that sugar gliders are illegal there so i dont know what would happen to anyone who did .I do know here in NC the animal is euthanized and the owners are fined. Then the person where the illegal animal came from is fined too. (gliders are legal here im talking about any other animals that are restricted)
i personally wouldnot risk selling to anyone in an illegal state.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL