GliderCENTRAL

USDA License/ Breeding/Selling

Posted By: GliderFun

USDA License/ Breeding/Selling - 12/10/08 10:07 PM

Okay so the USDA confuses me somewhat.
You can breed 3 or fewer females without a license (legally) BUT you can not obtain a license until you have 4 or more breeding females (which is illegal)....

See where the confusion is?

In order for you to get a USDA License you must in turn break the law...

And.. If you do have more then 3 breeding females then do you have to hold on to the babies that are produced until you get your actual license in the mail which could take up to a year. So then you have to keep the babies for all of those litters while waiting or you're breaking the law.

Or separate the males from the females while waiting but that causes problems and I don't think it's a good idea.

How many of you actually don't sell joeys while waiting for your USDA license and how many of you sell them anyway?

I'm just trying to figure all of this out because with my luck, I'll be the only one to get fined for selling joeys while waiting for the license in the mail when no one else does. (I'm kinda unlucky that way lol)

What did all of you guys do and how was the process?
I'm still waiting on my packet.
Posted By: Jaxsuggies

Re: USDA License/ Breeding/Selling - 12/11/08 12:36 AM

Ok, it is confusing. But, I believe that they do understand and do not take any actions against you if you have more than 3 females by the time they get around to your first interview.

I applied for my license and by the time I got it, I was up to 6 breeding females. The USDA inspector did not care. He did tell me that from then on, all the rules applied ...

Do I make any sense????

Paula

Re: USDA License/ Breeding/Selling - 12/11/08 12:52 AM

oh okay. So after they do the inspection you can't sell any more glider babies until they get around to sending you the actual license?

From that point it doesn't take that long though right?
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: USDA License/ Breeding/Selling - 12/11/08 01:56 AM

If you intend to have more than 3 breeding pairs, you should go ahead and start the paperwork before acquiring them. If your USDA inspector asks about it, you just tell them that you are going to have more than 3 pair.

Also, you can get a USDA license with fewer than 4 pair, you just write and request a packet and go through the process. I kept one after the law changed with only one breeding pair. No one cared, as long as they received the $ for the license.

Re: USDA License/ Breeding/Selling - 12/11/08 02:09 AM

Oh okay. I have over 3 breeding females. I have read a lot that they won't send unless you actually have 4 breeding females. But the packet is on it's way :-)
Thank you for your help. I already have some of the paperwork I downloaded from the internet. I have a question on form 7020 acquisition or disposition. Can anyone on here help me with some questions on that?
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: USDA License/ Breeding/Selling - 12/11/08 04:42 AM

They have no way of knowing either way. You call them and ask them for a packet and if they ask you how many breeding pair you have (and you are planning on keeping more than 4 anytime in the near future, you just tell them that you are planning on keeping more than 4) - but they probably won't even ask.

It's been a long time since I did all of that stuff, but I looked up my files, what is your question about it? (I'll PM you) smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL