GliderCENTRAL

Legal?

Posted By: GliderGuyVA

Legal? - 01/06/09 05:43 PM

Well after doing some research I have found out that Sugar Gliders are legal to own and sell in Virginia but they are illegal to be owned in Fairfax Co VA. You can sell and buy them in Fairfax Co but you cannot own them if you live in Fairfax co Va. You can go to the Chantilly Expo center here in Fairfax Co Va and buy them from CCW. I talked to the Fairfax Co animal shelter and they said they euthenize them if people serrunder them. Wow we live in a messed up world!

What would be the best route to go and try to get them on the legal list?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Legal? - 01/06/09 05:53 PM

First like always you are going to need a group of others that live in the county. find out why they are illegal to own and start trying to disprove their basis. And get the animal shelters on your side as well as the vets.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Legal? - 01/06/09 06:49 PM

It would also be awesome if you could talk to the animal shelter and provide them with information and resources of people willing to take the surrendered gliders and rehome them OUT of their area into legal homes. See if you can get them to agree that putting the gliders down is useless death when we have a nationwide rescue group of people willing to help in any glider situation.

Last year I was able to get some gliders from the Omaha Humane society. They were seized in a "dog fighting raid" and are illegal in Omaha and would have been euthanized. Because I was able to get them and remove them from the area, the lives of these gliders were saved. The folks at the humane society were just as happy with the outcome as I was!

Re: Legal? - 01/06/09 06:55 PM

Teresa again you are just awesome.

Re: Legal? - 01/06/09 07:16 PM

That is awful.... I really dislike States that have such messed up laws.
Posted By: GliderGuyVA

Re: Legal? - 01/06/09 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
It would also be awesome if you could talk to the animal shelter and provide them with information and resources of people willing to take the surrendered gliders and rehome them OUT of their area into legal homes. See if you can get them to agree that putting the gliders down is useless death when we have a nationwide rescue group of people willing to help in any glider situation.

Last year I was able to get some gliders from the Omaha Humane society. They were seized in a "dog fighting raid" and are illegal in Omaha and would have been euthanized. Because I was able to get them and remove them from the area, the lives of these gliders were saved. The folks at the humane society were just as happy with the outcome as I was!

I would but I cannot as I live in Fairfax Co. One employee did say in cryptic words that they have sent some of them to Louden Co (next to Fairfax) where they are legal. What happens from there I do not know yet. I would love to be involved in rescue but my address would prohibit that so I am going to see how far I can get with changing the law. It may be a futile effort but it's worth a try. Interesting thing I did find out is that you cannot wash your mule on public sidewalks and you cannot hunt wildlife on Sunday's but you can hunt Racoons until 2:00 pm Sun in Fairfax Co. I won't even get into some of the other silly stuff that you cannot do in Fairfax or Va. The laws here are so outdated and silly it just makes me want to move.

Oh one more I did find out is that animal control in Fairfax is now run by the county police and only police can be animal control officers. Animals/pets are considered personal property and if you are in a divorce case and niether party is willing to come to an agreement the pet will be euthanized. Sorry for being so gloomy.

Re: Legal? - 01/07/09 12:26 AM

you've reminded me of why I moved from Va years ago.

Re: Legal? - 01/07/09 01:09 AM

That is so sad, I hope one day this will not have to be the answer that poor little animals are faced with. cry

Re: Legal? - 01/07/09 01:15 AM

Wow those are some dumb guidlines...that islike an old law in Port saint lucie Florida....you can't do the HOKEY POKEY....lol
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL