GliderCENTRAL

Import from USA to Russia: is it possible?

Posted By: Nataly

Import from USA to Russia: is it possible? - 08/25/09 05:09 AM

Yesterday a lady came to our forum at www.possumov.net saying she could import Leucistic gliders from USA to Russia. We are really in great doubt on the subject. The fact is, some two years ago I already asked if it is possible to import color variations of sugar gliders to Russia, and the answer was - "it is hardly possible that you will find a breeder who will sell & ship such gliders overseas, as we have customers enough willing to buy them here in USA".
So, I'd like to know if anything changed over this two years, in the first place. Do you think it possible to find a breeder who will agree to sale a pair of Leucistics to Russia? If yes, what are the law regulations and what documents are necessary to buy and ship the gliders - or at least where can I learn anything about it?

I'm afraid that either this offer is a fake, or the lady will try and buy the gliders from a smuggler, which is no good at all. So I'd be much obliged if anyone is able to answer my questions.
Posted By: anjill_tree

Re: Import from USA to Russia: is it possible? - 08/25/09 10:47 AM

I think the problem would be the 30 day quarintine also. I would not ship that far.
Posted By: Jaxsuggies

Re: Import from USA to Russia: is it possible? - 08/25/09 02:28 PM

First of all, we need to find out what are the laws in Russia for bringing a sugar glider.

1) Are sugar gliders legal in Russia?
2) Do you require any type of paperwork to own a sugar glider in Russia?
3) If yes, what type of documentation?
4) What are the requirements to bring a pet sugar glider into Russia?
5) Is quarantine a requirement?
6) If so, how long is a quarantine required?
7) Where is the quarantine performed?

After all these questions are answered, then we have to check flights. Gliders cannot be carried in the plane's cabin anymore, so they fly as cargo. Most of the airlines in the USA will require a health certificate and a certificate of acclimation to ship. These two documents can be obtained from a vet.

The last obsticle to pass is the long flight to Russia. Here is where I think that even if all the above can be taken care of, most reputable breeders will not ship because of the long flight. I myself, would not risk it.

Paula
Posted By: Nataly

Re: Import from USA to Russia: is it possible? - 08/27/09 04:15 AM

I see. So, if all this thing is not a fake, then, most probably, the gliders will be either bought from smugglers, or from unreliable breeders.

Just in case - yes, gliders are quite legal in Russia - no restrictions at all; no, you need no paperwork to own a glider here. As for requirements, I haven't heard anything on the subject. All I know that suggies can be shipped from Russia to Ukraine, Baltic states and other parts of the former USSR, and no documentation is needed if the shipment is by train. As for the plane, a health certificate is needed, but you can take the gliders to the cabin with you.

Thank you very much for the prompt answers!
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: Import from USA to Russia: is it possible? - 09/01/09 12:50 PM

I'd like to add that once all the questions are answered, if money were no object, it might be possible to come from Russia to the USA to get gliders and then take them back with you if youmade stops somewhere along the route to let the gliders who needed to be in the cargo area of the plane take a break. For instance, coming here for a vacation, picking up the gliders, and travelling by car, train, or even plane but stopping in Alaska for a few days before flying back to Russia might be easier on the gliders than a shipment straight from USA to Russia
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL