GliderCENTRAL

USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help?

Posted By: Anonymous

USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 04:46 PM

Hey,
I dont want to sound like I am weasling around laws... But, I live in Georgia and I need to get gliders from someone who is USDA licensed. I have been looking for a pair of females, I found someone who seems very reputable and has my perefect match of gliders. They are Florida certifed to breed, but cant get their USDA license because they have too few breeding females. I am contacting the Georgia DNR but they reply "slowly". What should I do? I honestly would hate to pass it up. Thanks!
Posted By: tjlong

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 04:55 PM

Sorry, sounds like you are at the mercy of the "machine". Maybe you could talk to the breeder and offer a deposit on the gliders but you may lose it if "they" decide can't get the gliders. frown Maybe someone else knows a way around the legalities. Unfortunately, there might not be one. Maybe keep looking for joeys on sites of USDA breeders? Good Luck!
Posted By: oakley

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 04:58 PM

Hey guys!

She wants to purchase my little girls. Unfortunately I'm not USDA licensed (see my rant post)

The only way I can think of to get around it is if a licensed breeder would be kind enough to purchase the joeys from me and then sell them to her.

^^I think that would be legally alright, right? Or does the seller have to be USDA licensed AND the original breeder??

Help smile
Posted By: Jaxsuggies

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 05:25 PM

Hi Meghan - unfortunately, according to the laws, a USDA breeder can only buy from a USDA licensed breeder. So that would not work ....
Posted By: snowbabygliders

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 05:40 PM

thats georgia law right paula or are we talking about technically brokering here??? wink well if i got that right lol ( still a bit confused here).... i know i personally cant buy from anyone that is "supposed" to be USDA licensed. I can if they dont have to be ( say they only have 2 pairs, then i can purchase joeys from that person since they arent required by law to be USDA) and i can't sell to someone i know should be licensed when they are not.

But as far as georgia laws go.... i am pretty sure you have to purchase from a USDA licensed breeder. As far as doing what you are asking megan...i dont know if it is technically considered brokering then, but if it is, to get around the laws that way, the USDA licensed breeder would need a Class B license that allows brokering and exhibition and its very possible that the licensed class B breeder would need to purchase from a USDA licensed breeder anyhow. ( im not too familiar with class B licenses) A lot of us do not have a class B license, usually by choice etc. Wish we could be of more help smile

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 10:09 PM

Yeah... the Georgia DNR said USDA license or its a no go. Man, thats sad...
Posted By: snowbabygliders

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 10:21 PM

im very sorry for both you and meghan, its really not fair that they turn her down for a USDA license and then in turn can not rehome gliders to you in Georgia frown
Posted By: oakley

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 10:22 PM

Paula... Really?!?

I never knew that! That's unfortunate frown
Posted By: Jaxsuggies

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 11:16 PM

Yeah, unfortunately that the way it is. Being almost at the border of Georgia and Florida, I have a lot of customers from Georgia and I really did my research prior to selling my first joey to a Georgia couple.

I mean, I guess we should be happy that they now allow you to have suggies in Georgia. Two years ago, they could be confiscated from you. And to tell you the truth, although I know that having a license does not mean that you are a good breeder, the buyer has a little bit more protection than just buying from Craigslist or the flea market.

So, think this way ... By requiring you to buy from a licensed breeder they are trying to protect you .... Just trying to look a the bright side ....

Re: USDA question, licensedcould you possibly help? - 04/22/10 11:47 PM

I understand that completely. The last thing I would want is my babys taken from me. It would tear me apart. I have heard horror stories.

Although, Id rather see the government spending their time and effort approving of people like Oakley than trying to removed loved animals from their home. That does happen here.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL