GliderCENTRAL

New cage = 7.6 FT tall

Posted By: crisis668

New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 03:15 AM

So, we built the cage. Now, we are going to
put a hole in the floor, run a PVC made tube from this cage
down the floor, into the other cage on the bottom floor. That cage is 5 ft high. My plan is to have the two cage connected together, on two different floors.
Here is a pic of the almost finished cage, which is almost 8 feet high.
We are still putting some shelves in the cage, along with a mount so I can attach the stealth wheel to
the pvc hardware.
I'll post more pics as we finish this.
This is my Christmas present from my family.

Attached picture IMG_6705.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6706.jpg
Posted By: myliljadagirl

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 03:35 AM

I think that is a really cool idea.

My question to you is are you going to have 2 cages on two different floors so they can go from cage to cage? Like through the pipe?? I would be scared of that to be honest. I would feer something/someone would get stuck in the pvc pipe. (because of them passing things from one cage to another-I could be wrong)Are you going to put something on the inside to line the PVC so they can climb??? And then what if you NEED to get to them and they are in the Pipe!?!?

I think it is a good idea, and I am not tring to discurage you by any means, just trying to see your vision. And wondering if you have answers to some of the concerns that I would have. I just cant come up with anything...but I am not very good at building! lol

I will say...if you can make it work I will be SUPPER envious lol My fuzzies have an awesome cage, but yours would be kick but!!! roflmao

Please keep us updated...I cant wait to see this one pulled off!!! lol

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 03:53 AM

The pipe is going to be made out of the same mesh as the cage.
We are going to roll it up and attach it together with cable ties.
Posted By: Teresa56

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 04:58 AM

Is the wood on the cage treated so that urine can not penetrate it? What a great size -- cant imagine having one that big let alone two.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 06:50 AM

Gliders can chew through the mesh. If they do get a hole through the mesh between the two cages you may have gliders running around inside the walls. You cannot observe them in the connecting tube or check it easily for damage caused by chewing.

They may also be able to pull any insulation that may be between the floor above and the ceiling below through the mesh.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 08:39 AM

My thought exactly Candy.

What if a WIDE solid PVC tube was used and the mesh was INSIDE that?

certainly an interesting idea to be sure. My whole issue with big cages is cleaning.

I love to take my cages outside and hose them down and cannot do that with a larger cage.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 02:24 PM

Love the vision...I'm still trying to wrap my head around it though. The idea is really cool...but I, too, would be SO nervous about them chewing through it or getting stuck or...or...

I'm not overprotective by any means, but I DO worry because our monkeys are so incredibly smart. And even more so, incredibly persistent, as we all know. If my Bandit wants something, he's bound and determined to get it. If a glider decides he/she is in the tube and wants that "something" inside the walls that WE can't see....there's no telling what they would do to get at it.

Not trying to discourage your plan, crisis...just talking through all the "what-if's" to make sure your babies are always safe! thumb
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/20/10 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: OtteMom
Gliders can chew through the mesh. If they do get a hole through the mesh between the two cages you may have gliders running around inside the walls. You cannot observe them in the connecting tube or check it easily for damage caused by chewing.

They may also be able to pull any insulation that may be between the floor above and the ceiling below through the mesh.

I agree with this. It just doesn't sound safe to me. dunno

The cage in the bedroom looks plenty big enough for two gliders. I usually am all for "The bigger, the better!" but in this case I think I'd rather have my gliders on one floor and accessible to me.
Posted By: xSwtxSugaX

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/21/10 02:47 AM

I would try the pvc pipe with mesh lining. And maybe make it to where you can close off the holes somehow if need be. And so the pipe is able to be pulled out for cleaning and checking the mesh. That way also, if a glider decides to hang in there and you cant get them out, you can just pull the pipe out.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/21/10 04:15 AM

What about using a piece of 6inch diameter pvc pipe to go through the floor and then have a fleece vine that goes between the two cages they can climb up/down between cages? That way, IF you have to, you can stick your arm down through the pipe but with the vine, you can just pull up the vine and put a cap on the pipe if you want to seperate the two cages for short term.
Posted By: gliderma

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/21/10 04:39 AM

Looks like a cool idea as long as you take the above safety precautions. I was going to suggest you get a dollar store type shower curtain to line the walls behind the cage to protect the walls. Gliders can be very messy! Think 2 yr. old!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/21/10 06:18 AM

Wow Teresa! I had some concerns with the original idea, but I think your idea with the larger pipe they cant escape & using the fleece vine solved most of them. The idea itself is like everything else we face with these little guys. It has it's pros & cons. I like the ambition as well though. Let us know what you decide.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/21/10 02:24 PM

It's a neat concept, but I wouldn't try it. I'd be too nervous the gliders would escape between in the wall, or that I couldn't get to them in an emergency. It would be less work, and much safer to just build two cages - carry the pouch down and put them into the other cage for awhile.

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/21/10 02:57 PM

Another thought - If you are upstairs and want to talk to your gliders, they may be in the down stairs cage. If you are down stairs, they may head up stairs.

I see a fun game for the gliders, and lots of exercise running up and down stairs for the two legged members of the family.
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/21/10 08:46 PM

It would definitely be a neat idea as long and the gliders couldn't escape. That would worry me to death, lol. smile

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/22/10 04:31 AM

The cages are all done.
Here are some pictures.
I used landware netting and plastic gutter running
from the top of the first cage, elbowed into the landware clothwith cable ties, more cable ties making the pipe, with another 2 riveted plastic gutters running up the ceiling.. (protected from all
insulation), elbowed into the 8 ft cage.

Attached picture IMG_6708.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6710.jpg
Posted By: Legend

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/22/10 04:55 AM

Interesting idea. tounge

Have they gone through it yet? Does it work?
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/22/10 05:03 AM

How do you get them out if they're in the middle of the tube? Do you have doors or openings?
Posted By: sharit

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/22/10 05:16 AM

ooooh great thinking teresa.
Posted By: fox0r

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/22/10 06:40 AM

Interesting... it would worry me to death though...and I wouldn't want to clean all of the glider pee off the walls where the tube us.

Aimee poses a good question too.

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/22/10 03:20 PM

Everyone...
The wood is treated in the new cage.
The gutters are all drilled together and tied with cable ties.
The cable ties are all easily accessible in case of an emergency.
The land ware cloth is also tied with cable ties which are also easily accessible if I need to get the gliders out. I made the tube with landware cloth so I am able to clean it. (spray it out, and poop will fall thru onto the floor) I did not want the pee sitting in the tube. Tre gutters are also easily cleanable as I can take them down and wash them, or power spray water down them to wash away any urine. My walls are also painted with washable
paint. My home is also glider proof, as I even have landware cloth ladders in my toilets. Thanks so much for worrying about them!
So, I woke up this morning and my gliders were in a different cage!
LOL.... Not too sure if they have figured out how to go back, but they figured out how to get out of the cage upstairs to the one downstairs.

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/22/10 09:23 PM

I wish you luck with this.

Does the tall cage have a pan in the bottom that can be removed for cleaning? It appears that you would need to move the bed to get to the cage for cleaning.

The whole set up looks like a lot of work to clean - more than I would want to do on a weekly basis.

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/23/10 01:40 AM

The cage on the 2nd floor has a door that opens.
The cage floor has mesh hardware on the bottom, and linoleum flooring over that, as it only needs to be wiped out. There is no pullout tray.
I clean all of my cages every day. (* I have other animals)
Any fleece, I wash 1 x a week, but I wipe down all urine and food daily, as I think it is much easier to keep up with it on a daily basis, rather than a weekly basis concerning any animal, inside your house, or outside.
I like my house clean, and leftover food particles laying around is yucko!
Posted By: Sarah2880

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/27/10 05:41 PM

I Think its pretty awesome!!!! smile Nice job! I just completed my 6 1/2 foot PVC cage and my gliders LOVE it! It is also made with the hardware cloth and its been working great! They haven't chewed it at all, it wipes down quickly and easily and I also wipe it down every day. One question though.... Do you have to put their food in both cages? or Just in the cage that they happen to be in when you feed them... Just curious. My worry would be that if they went into the lower cage after you fed them upstairs, and couldn't remember how to get back up, went hungry at night time....
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/27/10 05:50 PM

Sarah, these are foraging animals... if there is food to be had, and it's accessible, they'll find it! smile

Crisis... it looks great! This is quite a unique idea, I hope it continues to work out for you jump
Posted By: Sarah2880

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/27/10 06:19 PM

Cool! I just wasn't sure because he said that he wasn't sure if they knew how to get back up to the top room yet. I do hide treats and food all over my cage, I just wasn't sure if the scent of the food upstairs would be strong enough if they were in the cage downstairs smile

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/27/10 07:30 PM

For a while I had two cages attached side by side.

The gliders had access to the smaller cage through the 4 feeder doors (secured open) on the larger cage.

I fed them in the small cage each night - and kept their pouches in the large cage.

They roamed back and forth between the cages. The best part was I only had to clean up the pan and wipe food off the bars in the small cage. The other cage pan had very little waste in it. If I had space in my glider room, I would attach a 'dining room' small bird cage to each of my flight cages for feeding. If the small cages had a removable grate and pan, it would definitely cut down the daily clean up.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/28/10 11:17 AM

crisis668, I think the idea is very neat, but I won't close an eye...ever.

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Gizmogirl
crisis668, I think the idea is very neat, but I won't close an eye...ever.

I hear you.
So far the two cages are working out well.
I have been checking daily on any problems, but so far so good.
I do only put food in one cage, where they spend the most time which is in the big cage.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meekopudge/5302753467/

Here is a video of the 2 cages and how it works.

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 02:12 PM

Along with the video, here is a pic of one running through the tube.
Meeko comes and finds me if I am not upstairs.
Pudge has NOT come thru the tubes as of yet. He is very cautious glider, and I did not get him till he was a bit older. He is still unsure of things and does things on his own time.

Attached picture IMG_6804_2.jpg

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 03:09 PM

To be on the safe side, I would find a way to seal the gaps around the gutter pieces where they go through the floor/ceiling.

The space around the tube next to the upstairs cage would be the first thing my Sassy would head toward if she were playing out of the cage.

Sassy is my hazard finder. She once went under a pocket door, not into the other room, but through a metal bracket under the door that measures 3/4 inch high by 1 1/2 inch wide. She was inside the wall behind the pocket door. I was able to coax her back out the way she went in (lots of mealworms) but I was fully prepared to bash a hole through the drywall if necessary to get her out of the wall.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 03:26 PM

Just watched your video and I think it is very creative, and so nice, but do you blame me if it still makes me nervous. crazy

clap you are brave clap
Posted By: kelii

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 03:47 PM

I like the idea of a solid large pipe with a fleece vine. It' sounds very safe and would be easy to clean.
Posted By: kelii

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 03:48 PM

I like the idea of a solid large pipe with a fleece vine. It' sounds very safe and would be easy to clean.

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: OtteMom
To be on the safe side, I would find a way to seal the gaps around the gutter pieces where they go through the floor/ceiling.

The space around the tube next to the upstairs cage would be the first thing my Sassy would head toward if she were playing out of the cage.

Sassy is my hazard finder. She once went under a pocket door, not into the other room, but through a metal bracket under the door that measures 3/4 inch high by 1 1/2 inch wide. She was inside the wall behind the pocket door. I was able to coax her back out the way she went in (lots of mealworms) but I was fully prepared to bash a hole through the drywall if necessary to get her out of the wall.

I definitely checked that hole out and agree that somebody would try to squirm down there. We are going to seal it up. I already have had visions
of Meeko being brave and trying to get thru there.
I told my ex husband about it and he was like NO WAY could they, but I am with you and say we should close it up, especially cause the gliders play in my room supervised..... but it only takes one second, and I got a glider running around in my ceiling!

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: kelii

are you talking about the hardware pipe running across the room or the gutter pipe?

Re: New cage = 7.6 FT tall - 12/29/10 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Gizmogirl
Just watched your video and I think it is very creative, and so nice, but do you blame me if it still makes me nervous. crazy

clap you are brave clap

I will admit the whole thing makes me nervous. I am monitoring everything
closely and inspecting everything every day.
So far, there is not much action in the tubes, but I do fear a time when the gliders get BORED and maybe chew thru the hardware. They have showed no interest so far, and I never thought they would chew thru the hardware till
you guys put the idea into my head. But by that time I had opted not to use
the metal hardware because of what I read on the web, and the noise of the gliders climbing it, so I was kind of stuck on my options.
I will be be very upset out if I wake up one morning and I find a hole someplace with 2 escaped gliders. frown Either way, if they chew thru the hardware, I will be forced to put them back into the smaller cage into the kitchen and take the whole thing down.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL