GliderCENTRAL

Jackie Chan - 4 years later

Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 01:59 AM

It is hard to believe that 4 whole years have flown by since the day I first picked up this "injured" glider from a basement in a tiny town on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. And, it is equally as hard to believe that it has already been 4 years!

For those who need a little history: Jackie Chan was a rescue who came to me with what turned out to be a severed spine. We are still not sure why it is that Jackie has survived, but he HAS survived and thrived and stolen the hearts of many. mlove Jackie Chan has very limited movement below his shoulders. He IS able to use his front legs and is REMARKABLE in how he compensates for the loss of his back legs. He has no bowel and bladder control and only minimal ability to move his back lets at the hips. In addition to these physical limitations, Jackie suffers with pretty severe anxiety and is prone to self -mutilation. His SM episodes have resulted in many surgeries and amputations, including: traumatic castration and subsequent cleaning up of the site, removal of both heads of his penis, tail amputation and multiple surgeries to close a wound he kept opening up. His anxiety has resulted in an overgroomed head for 3 solid years now. Jackie has come a long way, has bonded to me very strongly, and has now gone 2 whole years without a major medical issue!!!

Through the years, Jackie Chan has inspired me and been the catalyst for research and study into topics such as HLP, paralysis, anxiety, enrichment, Self Mutilation and wound healing. Jackie Chan was the primary motivation for founding the SUGAR Group to gain more education and scientific research on sugar gliders.
Jackie has also taught me the value of each life. He has forced me to make hard decisions and to evaluate where I stand on euthanasia. He has challenged my natural instincts to "protect" him as he wants so badly to never be treated like he is "limited" physically. He has taught me that gliders will only be as "handicapped" as we make them be, and that when we allow them to soar, they will literally learn to jump, even if they are paralyzed.

Jackie Chan has brought many in this community together despite our different views or personalities. He has just as much caused rifts between a few of us that might never see bridges repair. He is loved by many and pitied by others.
But, one thing is true through it all - once you MEET Jackie Chan, you are changed somewhat. You see a glider who LOVES life, who WANTS to live and who is totally and completely in love with his momma and vice-versa. This little guy has stolen my heart and will forever and always be the reason that I want to find answers to all of the injuries and illnesses that plague our gliders.

I can't say enough about him. If you haven't gotten to meet him yet, you should ask for some time with him if you ever see me at a gathering. Not so that I can show him off (for I will not and I don't allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to have time with hime), but because YOUR understanding of what a glider can overcome will change once you meet him.

And, if you own a good video camera, you should bring it to the RRRoundup so that we can finally have some video of this boy in action to share with the community.

And now, cause I know some of you will never forgive me if I don't post pictures, here are a few from our time a few nights ago in the tent.

Here is how Jackie's legs look when he is in a hurry to check something out:

His severely over-groomed head:

Just all around cuteness as he plays in the tent (and he plays HARD)

4 years. We never imagined he would live this long. I certainly never imagined he would change my life like he did.
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 02:13 AM

Wow Val, 4 years!!! I haven't even been on G/C for that long but I know of sweet Jackie Chan. Bless his little heart mlove and your Big heart mlove
I hope you have many more years together angel
Posted By: CSteele

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 02:18 AM

Wow Val, he is amazing and an inspiration to us all...showing us just how strong the will to live can be! I can't wait to meet him at the RRound up in March !!!! (if you let me that is!)
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 02:28 AM

Awww! Jackie Chan is such a sweetie!
Posted By: victoriarose1982

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 02:51 AM

WOW Val thank you I love the cute picture. of him jumping over the toy it looks like a Jackie Chan move LOL
Posted By: GliderGuyVA

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 03:53 AM

Amazing! smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 04:58 AM

That seriously almost made me tear up!!! I am so happy for you and Jackie Chan! What an amazing story of pure perseverance on Jackie's part!! And I commend you for sticking with it as many people would not want a "disabled" pet.

Best of luck with everything.
Posted By: Kitkatt1216

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 05:23 AM

Wow! I still remember the very first Jackie stories we heard on here. It's amazing how far you and he have come. Keep up the good work Jackie, you're an inspiration to us all! I hope to be lucky enough to meet you someday.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 04:03 PM

Isn't he just adorable? I love each and every picture and story I've seen/heard about him....I haven't been here nearly this long either, but I've been fortunate enough to hear the stories and hear told just how wonderful YOU are! What a beautiful and amazing mama you are, Val! Thank you for ALL you do!
Posted By: Sherri

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 05:14 PM

I cant believe its been 4 years myself!

Jackie Chan HAS been an inspiration to many and he is loved by all.

I remember coming on every moment I could to hear more about Jackie in the early days of him coming to you. I just couldnt get enough of my Jackie Chan fix! LOL

That little man has a heart of gold and the strength of many, and I will always cherish what you and Jackie have been through and what you both have/continue to teach us every day!

Thank you so much Val for reminding us that no matter what...all they need is love, patience and understanding.
Posted By: Kimberlyann

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 05:37 PM

WOW! What a wonderful story! It was truly moving!!!! I hope to have the honor to meet you both someday!!
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 08:30 PM

We are all truly blessed with what is being done to help learn and understand all that we can about these precious babies.

Jackie Chan, you are a blessing to many, but more so to your Mom who's heart is filled with the love to keep your spirit strong and alive.

Thank you, Val, for sharing Jackie with us all. hug2
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 09:39 PM

What a truly amazing glider, and the same for his Mommy. This picture deserves a closup! wink

Attached picture JackieChan11.jpg

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 09:47 PM

He sure is quite the gymnast for being handicapped.
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/07/10 10:35 PM

So glad you posted the update!!! Hugs to you and “Way to go Jackie!”
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/08/10 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: SariYappa
What a truly amazing glider, and the same for his Mommy. This picture deserves a closup! wink

What an inspirational story! That picture deserves to go in the photo of the week!! clap
Posted By: Adri

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/08/10 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: caliejean86
He sure is quite the gymnast for being handicapped.

Jackie is not handicap. He is HANDICAPABLE!! wink

He is such a little hottie! I love you Jackie and I love your mommy too!
Posted By: Kimberlyann

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/09/10 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Gizmogirl
Originally Posted By: SariYappa

What an inspirational story! That picture deserves to go in the photo of the week!! clap

Yeah it does! That's an awesome photo, he looks like those gymnasts on the horse! clap
Posted By: eterrell84

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/09/10 03:43 AM

ok i just cried a little! what an amazing little guy! and how amazing are YOU to have stuck with him and helped him thru ALL of that! what an incredible and inspirational story! <3
Posted By: Rubym

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/10/10 12:17 AM

He is a very handsome little man. Its amazing how something so small can teach us what true courage and determination really is. I would never feel pity for him.....just admiration for him and his amazing momma. I truely admire your determination and courage also. Thanks for sharing Jackie chans wonderful story with us.
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/10/10 11:16 PM

What a stud! I love him.

If Jackie was human I would have a replacement for my hubby (don't tell hubby)
Posted By: CFQTpye

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 12/11/10 12:17 AM

Such a wonderful and heartwarming story! Congratulation to both of you for coming so far!
Posted By: Johannasgliders

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 01/18/11 09:07 PM

He is truely BEAUTIFUL! heart

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 01/18/11 11:06 PM

Why, Thank you! I happen to agree, and I'm pretty sure Jackie Chan does too. LOL

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 01/31/11 07:56 AM

This is such an inspiring story.
It is amaizing he was able to pull through.
It just goes to show that animals are so much more special than humankind ever gives them credit for.

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/02/11 02:50 PM

He is a cutie...and a trooper!

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/05/11 03:33 AM

I love in the fifth picture he looks like he's raising his hand to say something. What a cutie he is!

Glad you've been able to help him so lovingly as you do. He's a lucky boy!
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/05/11 03:48 AM

Such a heartwarming story and an unforgettable one! I hope I get the chance to meet him some day. Please, someone take a video for us at the RRRoundup!

He, and his mommy, show us, nothing is impossible!!!
Posted By: Mastiff_Mama

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/06/11 01:16 AM

Such an amazing little guy smile You can tell he is just so happy in all of the pictures, almost like he is smiling.

Thank you for showing him such true unconditional love.
Posted By: SandysMommy

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/06/11 01:27 AM

What a great little guy, he really is a little trooper. Thanks for sharing him with us.
Posted By: Hperk

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/06/11 02:25 AM

An amazing story - and a beautiful relationship!
I'm so glad there are people in this world that can love no matter what.
I admire your character, and Jackie's courage.
My heart goes out to both of you
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/08/11 02:38 AM

This definitely just made me cry! He's a strong and ADORABLE glider, and I wish you both many more years of love, kinship, and happiness! <3
Posted By: heidi

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/09/11 12:05 AM

i never heard the storie untill to day what a great learning tool...jackie is such an amazing little man yes he deserves to be photo of the week...god bless you both

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/13/11 05:06 PM

This is just more proof that God has a plan and design for everyone, even sugar gliders! Even when bad things are sent are way doesn't mean he doesn't love us it just means that he want to set us apart so we can have a testimony and be an example! laugh

Hearing Jackie's story and seeing the picture I don't think handi-capped is the right word, more like handi-capable! wink
Posted By: sandbat

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/17/11 04:09 PM

I just love hearing about this very inspiring little guy. Thank you so much for the update!
Posted By: vhenke11

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/18/11 02:29 AM

thats so kool great job
Posted By: MissTiesa

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/18/11 06:38 AM

I definitely just cried a little bit. That is so amazing, it really is. Both you and Jackie are so strong and I am so happy to get to see pictures of that sweetheart.
Posted By: kjgoulet

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 02/22/11 01:28 AM

This is a very heartwarming story, made me tear up smile people like you are what this world needs!
Posted By: lilangels

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 03/01/11 09:35 PM

I love Jackie's story and plan on sharing it with my 16 yr old son when he gets home from school today. He has many disabilities and his muscles are deteriorating so he can no longer do a lot of stuff he used to enjoy and he often feels sorry for himself about it but I believe showing him Jackie's story will show him how much you can accomplish even with a disability. It would be wonderful if this story could be shared with every disabled child and adult!!!
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 04/25/11 07:36 PM

I just read this story again. And again I am crying my eyes out. This is one of the sweetest stories ever!

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 04/30/11 12:46 PM

AWWWW. Thank you Jill Marie. I took more pictures the other day in the tent. I'll post them sometime after I get back home (delivering gliders to their new home this weekend). He still amazes me too.

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 05/30/11 05:38 PM

I teach special education to an age group that is aware of what society thinks about them. I spend all year telling them that life is never about their disability but about their ability. Imma use Jackie Chan as my opening for the next year. Kids are gonna love it!!!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/05/11 02:29 PM

What a great story it shows us all what we can overcome when someone loves and believes in us. Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: Faerie

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/05/11 04:00 PM

What an amazing little man Jackie is. I too hope I get to meet him someday. And his incredible mama.

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/06/11 12:03 AM

All you gotta do to meet Jackie is come on down to Texas! He loves visits - especially from women. LOL
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/17/11 06:55 PM

Val, where are those pics you promised? How is Jackie doing? I hope all is well and will continue to be good for any time to come!! He is such an amazing little guy! He is an inspiration to all of us. I too have a disability but it doesn't get me down. Well most days!(I'm dealing with some issues from the amputation surgery, but otherwise am ok)

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/19/11 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Holly1221
Val, where are those pics you promised? How is Jackie doing?

Whoopsie. I forgot those photos.

Jackie is doing amazing despite the fact that his anxiety has increased. He doesn't really like visiting with other people any more. frown

But, he and his mate, Daiquiri, are happy, healthy and active and daily loved on by his mommy.

Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/19/11 08:55 PM

Awwwww, he's just so adorable! Hugs and kisses, little man!
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/20/11 06:04 AM

Precious! heart

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/21/11 04:27 AM

He is so cute!
Posted By: MissTiesa

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 06/25/11 06:28 AM

awe he truly is an amazing story. smile What a tough little guy.

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 07/05/11 03:47 PM

I am in awe! What a miraculous little boy!

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 07/06/11 05:37 AM

Thank you for posting this update. Your story is inspiring. You and Jackie are unforgettable. Thank you for all that you do and have done!

Re: Jackie Chan - 4 years later - 07/11/11 05:24 PM

Wow, this truly was inspiring to me. Please give my aloha to lil Jackie Chan. Give him a warm belly rub and tell him he's inspired me to love my babies even more!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL