GliderCENTRAL

Portion Control - any suggestions

Posted By: Ilovemyweeones

Portion Control - any suggestions - 09/01/16 04:17 PM

I adopted two new girls a few months ago to add to my colony of 3. Introduction process was a success so I now have all 5 together in one large flight cage. So here is where my request for advice begins. One of my new girls is a eating machine. I feed 100% fresh diet that includes a large variety of fruits, veggies, proteins with calcium and glider supplements. Based on the massive bag of pellets that came with the adoption of these two I can only guess this was a staple in their diet. At first I kept a small bowl of pellets in the cage but have since discontinued that as no one touches it or has any interest as they prefer the fresh. So all eat well. They all eat and munch away throughout the night as they get hungry at different times. My eating machine Pecan (she better watch out or that nickname Pigsey that keeps popping out just might stick). She is always at the food dish. She is always munching away. Any thoughts on how I can control her portion? I don't want to remove the dish too early as I need the others to eat too. There is no food aggression at all but this one seems bottomless. She even takes food from the hands of the others which everyone allows.

Her intake shows. She definitely is the carrier of extra weight. The girl I got her from did tell me that one was a huge eater so it sounds like she was this way even prior to me having her. I don't want to remove her as she will be all alone. She is wonderfully friendly and needs to be part of the group. Any ideas on how to control her intake while not affecting all the others.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Portion Control - any suggestions - 09/02/16 06:16 PM

Just make sure there are several feeding stations in their enclosure.

Gliders, unlike some animals, will not eat continuously until all the food is gone even past the point they are full shakehead

If you are seeing some food left in the morning, then everyone is getting their fill. Some gliders are just naturally 'fluffier' than others - just like us wink

Re: Portion Control - any suggestions - 01/10/17 02:16 PM

So I had to dig up this post again I've seen utube videos of gliders and was always in awe at some of the fat huge gliders I see. Ooooops I guess I should go with fluffy huge gliders I see 😃 So I no longer have to watch utube to view these fluffy sweethearts as I have one of my own. I tried the multiple feeding spots but to her glee she just runs from one to the next munching up all of her favourites. She's adorable. Seems healthy as a horse. Due to her girth she's the most pleasant to cuddle with as there's actually something to hang on to. The nickname Pigsey stuck. She literally has rolls. (We will call them her gloobs) aka. Boobs/moobs.

She is over double the size of my other gliders. Should I still be going with the some are fluffier than others rule or should I be looking for other portion control suggestions? Thoughts?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Portion Control - any suggestions - 01/10/17 03:30 PM

I have a chunky one too.

Mine are on the critter love diet and there is always a little nectar and their salad mix left over every day so I don't fret too much over Dot being bigger than Fiona. They have always been that way. I did cut back on mealies and other treats when Dot started looking like a chunk. She thinned a bit over about 2 weeks.

I am considering adding another wheel so they can exercise at the same time in case that's an issue.

What diet plan are you following?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Portion Control - any suggestions - 01/10/17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Ilovemyweeones
I feed 100% fresh diet that includes a large variety of fruits, veggies, proteins with calcium and glider supplements.

The quote above was taken from your original post in this thread, so if you are still following this, I'm not surprised you have at least one plus size glider wink She may be eating more of the fattening foods which are her favorites and using the wheel less than the other girls. Some of us like to exercise and some of us, not so much tounge

I also remember in this post you were successful with your own mealie farm, so I would imagine they are getting quite a few mealies as well which are high in fat agree

By using one of the diet plans with a staple then adding fruits/veggies, it gives them a better chance of getting a balanced meal because the calcium and supplements are already mixed in the staple. This doesn't mean you won't have fluffy gliders, but it cuts your chances down, especially if they all have access to exercise. Dawn has a good idea of more than one wheel when you have multiple gliders as you do.

My reply was not meant as criticism, but to help. Hope it has.

Re: Portion Control - any suggestions - 01/10/17 05:25 PM

Good memory on my mealy farm. 👍 It is super stocked right now as mealy intake has been cut back due to Wee Pigseys impressive girth. I actually am supplying a guy down the road from me who I dicovered has three gliders of his own just so I don't become over run. I send containers with my daughter for her teacher who has gliders too. My husband builds them the safe glider wheels so there are three plus a spinning saucer in their very large cage plus two in the dedicated glider play room. You nailed it wee Pigsey will hop on one here and there but definately uses it less than the others. I'm actually impressed at her agility skills. You'd guess her to move like a couch potatoe but she is fast when she wants to be.

I appreciate the diet suggestions. Very much appreciated. I now actually have them on exoticnutrition and when preparing the fresh salads I avoid the fatty stuff like avacado or corn. They love green and yellow beans best. Like peas and always avoid carrots. They like blueberries, apple and dragon fruit but avoid strawberries. I tend to give more fresh veggy options and less fruits. What's your thoughts. Are beans high in fat cause Pigsey sure loves those a lot. They are her favourite.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Portion Control - any suggestions - 01/10/17 06:18 PM

Can you feel lumps in her patagium? If not she isn't actually fat, when gliders are over weight you will be able to feel the fat stores in the patagium.

She may just be a big fluffy glider. There is a video documentary that shows wild gliders gliding in Australia and they are plump rascals.

Re: Portion Control - any suggestions - 01/10/17 07:48 PM

Can you feel lumps in her patagium?

So I spotted this question in someone else's post a couple of days ago. I immediately ran and plucked her from her pouch to cop a good feel. No lumps. No bumps. Whew. Thank goodness she's not a biter as I checked out every inch of her. I actually have the lineage papers on her and she is confirmed as having the Australian heritage. I am off to watch the video now. Thanks so much.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL