GliderCENTRAL

How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix?

Posted By: sugarfluff

How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 12:53 AM

Hey glider guys and gals,

I've had gliders for several months now I got my first glider in April and got her on the BML diet and she did well with it so when I got my additional two in September I continued with it... slowly they ate less and less of the BML staple so when Critterlove had free shipping recently I found it a perfect time to try a new diet and I was almost out of BML cubes so it worked out with nice timing... anyways, what I'd like to know is how do you feed the CL staple and salad? With the BML you could mix them or keep separate, I kept them separat mostly. I started the CL last night and kept things separate, this morning it didnt look like anything was gone and it was very watery which originally concerned me, but I've since read that's normal and ok. I know it's a new diet and I need to give change some time, but I'm just wondering how others feed... do you ever pour the CL over the fruits and veggies so they can lick offf as much as possible? Critterlove seems to be a GC favorite so I'm sure others will have some tips.

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 12:57 AM

Oh and by the way... Critterlove Complete smells soooo much better than BML in case anyone was wondering. Almost makes me wanna try it.... almost. :lol:
Posted By: Feather

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 01:32 AM

I have these nifty divided plastic dishes, some with lids, that I use. I keep the Critterlove in its own section. That way I can tell what they are eating and how much of each.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 11:58 AM

It doesn't taste bad, and I also keep mine separate. I used to pour over veggies but they will track it worse all over the cage. Especially if they grab and go sit somewhere else to eat.
Posted By: Philwojo

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 01:51 PM

I too keep it separate, it helps me know how much staple they are truly taking in. I started by putting it over the "salad" mix, but when they don't finish the full salad, which was most of the time, i am not sure how much of the staple they were getting.

There are those that put it over the mix as well, nothing wrong with doing that at all, especially if they finish their mix most of the time.

Also, some gliders might prefer it one way over the other. I was willing to do it the way they liked it but honestly they didn't eat any more of the mix with it on there so I figured it wasn't a big difference to my gliders.

As for it getting watery, you are correct that is normal for the complete at least, being that is all I have ever used.

Phil

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 07:32 PM

Thank you Kim, Dawn and Phil for your expertise... good to know it doesn't really matter either way. I'll just keep with it and try both ways to see what they all prefer..maybe they just need to get use to the consistency change as well.

Since it is so watery, has anyone ever tried using a small water bottle for feeding it? (of course in addition to the regular water bottle and only filling enough for a nights worth) That way you can measure out a bit more accurately how much they eat. Or is that too crazy of an idea?
Posted By: Hutch

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 07:42 PM

My only thought about a bottle is getting them to share. My four will frequently gather around the food dish together & chow down. Having just the one bottle may lead to bickering.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/08/16 09:32 PM

At first, I used ice trays to freeze their nectar. That way it's pre-measured and then just thaw.

Now I use small bowls with lids (dollar general in gadgets aisle. 8 for $1) and freeze, thaw, & shake before I pour it into dishes.

A small water bottle could become bothersome with cleaning and keeping sanitary. Some I think use silos.

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/09/16 01:34 AM

Hutch and Dawn I think you're right. Water bottle may not be the right way to go... think I may just shop around for some different bowls and maybe do the freezing in small sealed bowls to simply thaw, shake and serve. I am really hoping they like this diet better. It's highly recommended and healthy as well as easy to make with a larger variety of fruits and veggies and as a bonus smells good too.

Re: How do you feed your Critterlove liquids and salad mix? - 12/09/16 01:34 AM

Thanks again for all the imput. I'm always so worried about their diet. I want them to eat healthy and around the estimated quantities. thanks
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL