GliderCENTRAL

Alfatoxins in nuts

Posted By: Ladymagyver

Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/13/17 09:07 PM

So, I was nosing around and found this topic dated from 2009.

Peggy posted it and I can't seem to copy it on my tablet. It's #69760

Alphatoxins from mold found in many nuts that is toxic to gliders.

Since peanuts are included, I suppose peanut butter is off limits too? (Fiona loves stealing a crust of toast from hubby).

I'm curious if this info is up to date and has anybody tried the cleaning process?

I've had the girls steal pecans from my hand while I was eating them and I freaked out. That was a few months ago, but boy did I get a look when I took it away.

If this is the latest, Moderator, could you please post here?

Thank you.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/13/17 11:00 PM

Was Peggy the originator of the post, Dawn? I'm not finding where she started a post in 2009 with this title.

Re: Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/14/17 12:32 AM

This was originally dated 11/23/05 and updated on 8/23/09

From Srlb:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=69760

Re: Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/14/17 01:13 AM

I will see what I can find out, however, I never treated any of the nuts I fed my gliders, and they all lived into their teens. Not to say you shouldn't though.

Re: Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/14/17 02:13 AM

Thanks Karen.

We eat black walnuts and hickory nuts right out of the backyard. I've never given them any, but when I tripped over this, I was curious. Thought I would drag it out of the archives and ask.

I would not know an affected nut from a good one except some nuts will have a musty smell/ taste. Just thought it was a good read.

Re: Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/14/17 03:52 AM

I think black walnuts have that musty smell/taste to me anyway dunno Not my favorite nut tounge
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/14/17 11:26 PM

I just had to clean that post up before when I was a MOD here. grin

However, it is raw peanuts (the ones found in a shell) that you should be leary of feeding. They are grown under ground.

Re: Alfatoxins in nuts - 02/16/17 12:29 AM

Thank you Peggy!

I guess more than anything, "If in doubt, throw it out..."

My Mom says that a lot!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL