GliderCENTRAL

Fresh fruit?

Posted By: Alan

Fresh fruit? - 03/20/17 07:58 PM

Hi all!
So last night was my first night bonding with my babies. They crabbed a lot and nibbled my finger when I got too close (felt like a teething baby haha). I offered them some banana, NOT a favorite, and some apple, which they LOVED. Well one did, the other just crabbed and then jumped on her sister and ate her apple piece. These were relatively older pieces of fruit I was tossing anyway, so I cut out the good parts for them and chucked the rest. But for those other days, how do you store fruit for days like apples or papaya or such? Seems like they would go brown and mushy fast and I'm all about eTing fruit but to get a good mix for them it's a lot of it and such small pieces for them. How do you keep things fresh and good?

Thanks!
Alan
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/20/17 08:23 PM

Most of us feed fruits that we eat ourselves or that we know will freeze well. Here, not sure about in your location, we can buy fruits already frozen, especially berries. We can get bags of mixed frozen fruits as well as bags of mixed frozen vegetables. You may have to buy fresh and freeze yourself. I'm just not sure.

What staple are you feeding? In other words, have you settled on what diet plan to feed your gliders?

I know you haven't had them all that long, however, this is very important for their health.

You can click on the word diet which takes you to our database of different diet plans. Just so we can overwhelm you even more :lol:

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/20/17 09:47 PM

Thanks for the reply!!

I'm in Florida. I'm able to get lots of different frozen fruits. I was thinking more in terms of like treats and such. Suggestions I've seen include apples, bananas, grapes and papaya, as well as melon. My little girls seem to REALLY like apple. They are not thrilled with banana. I'm thinking how to get thinks like apple and such for them?
Right now they are on the TPG diet which they came from the breeder from and which o have some left of so I'm feeding that while I work/gather the things to try the BML. If they don't take to it, it'll be on to critter love. I still need to order some yogies which seem to help in bonding but In the meantime was trying fresh fruit. I guess for apples I'll be there eating an apple every few days to keep the doctor away huh?! 😂
I've just started to get my mind wrapped around diet and bonding and treats and cage setup and toys and......working on making lists so I can start to gather anything remaining.

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/20/17 10:28 PM

Alan, I do apologize. I have been answering several posts for a new member (male by the way) from Bulgaria, and had that country embedded in my head when I answered yours blush

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/20/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Alan
I still need to order some yogies which seem to help in bonding

Forgot to mention. Instead of ordering yogies, if you wish you can use the white baking chips in the baking department at the grocery store. They contain no chocolate so are safe for gliders smile

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/21/17 03:11 AM

That sounds like a good option especially since I'm going to re store for some fruits tomorrow!!!
Thank you for being so helpful!!!
It wa brought up that squeezing lemon juice on an apple can help it not brown. Is lemon juice safe for gliders? I know citrus in general isn't good in large Dorsey's but I wonder as just a preservative on an apple.....

You have been super helpful in getting my head on straight!
Posted By: SugDad

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/21/17 12:08 PM

I precut all my fruits and veggies and keep then in small Tupperwares. Don't worry about the apples browning they don't care I don't either since I usually pop some of their fruits in my mouth when im preparing their dinner

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/21/17 02:56 PM

Squeezing lemon juice over fruit will help preserve its color, but this is mainly done for presentation purposes or for very short periods of time.

Gliders can have citrus, like oranges, on occasion but not as a standard part of their diet. Lemons have a completely different taste than oranges. Some gliders might like them, some may not. The juice when squeezed over fruit will dissipate and not effect the taste of that fruit because you are not going to drench it. I've never used the lemon juice method for animal or human. I make fruit salad regularly for the grandchildren, and it doesn't last more than one meal because they are little fruit-a-holics rofl That's the first question asked when they come through the door, "Mamaw, did you make fruit salad?" :ghug:

But I digress, the way you are keeping your fruit in tupperware works as long as you make sure there is no mold or rotten spots when feeding. As you said, brown spots/discoloration are not a problem. Just watch closely. I would even keep in the frig to make sure they stay fresh.
Posted By: SugDad

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/21/17 05:53 PM

these things just don't last long enough to go bad smile
I pick too much on the fruits
and having pre chopped veggies is just way too convenient to make veggie wraps with a bit of cheese
haha its easy when we both have the same diet
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Fresh fruit? - 03/22/17 12:18 AM

Citrus fruits are not problematic and can be fed as a normal part of their diet. We consistently have oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, etc here as part of the normal rotation without issue.

For more information on foods to feed, you're welcome to visit The Glider Chef to give you some ideas and help.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL