GliderCENTRAL

Food Storage Question

Posted By: Terry

Food Storage Question - 10/08/17 10:39 PM

If you can keep a hard-boiled egg in the fridge safely for up to a week, why is the CL (formally HPW diets) said to be kept for up to three days?

Hard-boiled eggs in fridge
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Food Storage Question - 10/09/17 03:36 AM

That would be a good question for Peggy, however, Dry Egg Product is very different from a boiled egg.

Re: Food Storage Question - 10/09/17 08:39 AM

I understand that, but I'm specifically referring to the hard-boiled eggs used in the Original or even Plus recipes. According to the article linked in my OP, hard-boiled eggs, peeled or unpeeled are supposed to be good for up to a week in the fridge. So, this leads me to question the 3 day rule.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Food Storage Question - 10/09/17 10:50 PM

Critterlove Ingredients and Prep

If you scroll to the bottom you will see that all of the staples can be safely stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.

If you can't feed it up in 5 days I recommend freezing it.

Re: Food Storage Question - 10/10/17 01:37 AM

Thank you Kimberly, I never actually noticed that on the website. I did further research and saw that salads containing egg could be stored in fridge for 3-5 days.

I have just been wondering, I read in so many places that, using former name of HPW, due to older writings prior to TM Critter Love, that it can be stored for only 3 days in fridge. Which is what I've been doing.

I'm thinking maybe I'll try adding a little more to each bottle, to equal maybe 4-5 nights worth. I use small, reusable, plastic bottles when I make a batch. I place one in fridge and the rest go in the freezer. In the evenings, I just shake and pour the serving.
Posted By: sugarfluff

Re: Food Storage Question - 10/10/17 03:19 AM

Hi Terry, I use CL complete and only make enough for 5 day batches. I have tried freezing it, but prefer just making it every few days. I make mine in a small gatorade bottle and just wash and reuse it. I don't remember the exact CL recommendation for mixing, but I believe the ratio is 1:3 (CL:h2o). I make mine for 3 gliders and simplified it by using 1/4c CL & 3/4c hot h2o and shake shake shake! Technically 3 gliders would need 15Tbsp for a 5 day supply and my way makes 16Tbsp. I just find it easier than needing more utensils and measuring out tablespoons. Sometimes I will just add that last tablespoon to the following days bowls or just add a few extra drops in the bowls throughout the 5 days.

Easy peasy, yay for Critterlove! So much easier than my their old diet of BML. We've been switched for a year or so now and I'm very pleased.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Food Storage Question - 10/10/17 10:25 PM

I used to just make enough for 5 days but that is kind of hard to do with all the rescues I am feeding.

I made up 5 double batches of Critterlove Plus Sunday. We have saved Bai bottless, a double batch fills 4 of them, I then freeze them and the last double batch fills my two carafes I use up first. Then each night I take to of the bottles from the freezer and put them in the fridge for the next night.

This lasts me a little over a week.

Re: Food Storage Question - 10/11/17 01:54 AM

Yes, Desiree and Kimberly, I love using bottles too. I first started using them with the CLC when moving across country the first time in February 2014. I had to make up a night's serving for my trio each day. I premeasured the water level on emptied, washed Sunny D bottles (small ones), marked it and then each night I poured water to the level and added the correct measure of CLC powder, shaking well. After arriving, I found it easier, for my circumstances, to mix up a larger batch of CLC (and later CLO or CLP) and pour into several bottles. I purchased the cheap, Dollar Store OJ bottles (small ones), emptied them, washed them, and have been using the combination of those bottles since. I keep one in freezer (was 3 nights worth), then the rest stored in freezer door. On the night the fridged bottle was emptied, I'd pull one from the freezer. I can shake to remix when I serve, and it's so less complicated. I just always remembered reading for 3 nights, but going to go for 5 at a time.

Kimberly, a special thanks to all you do for sugar gliders and the community of us keepers of the gliders.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL